Medallions   

Offline CoinCrusader42

• Angel Knight
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Member Knight
  • Founding Member
Coming Up -- Perpetual Giveaway Set
October 04, 2007, 11:43:37 AM
We are just now rounding up members to this wonderful new home of ours, so it's premature to start planning for our Perpetual Giveaway Set.

However, I sure hope we can get it started soon.

I'm sure Terry will have to do the hardware part of the set, and I'm also certain many of us will be happy to donate coins.

I would imagine Catman's medal would be part of the set.

I hope we can get this project going in the near future.  It will be fun, and an honorable quest.

:) :) :) :)

Offline TwoShadows

Re: Coming Up -- Perpetual Giveaway Set
October 04, 2007, 10:52:21 PM
I have started 2 different sets but each time I changed my mind or was concerned about size and shipping costs but, the good news is the coins are lying right here beside me on a fresh piece of wood and I am about to start over AGAIN! Going to keep it simple, sturdy and mailable! The coins I have purchased over the last few months all have Knights and an age range of over 400 years if I remember correctly? Yes, Catmans medallion is in the set along with the latest square Knight coin from Poland. I do believe it will be a good looking set once finished and Madspec has provided the certificates for each Knight or Knighess to sign and pass on. Won't be too awful long now!

Terry
Knight #1

"Life's a Lemon, I want my money back!" (Meatloaf)

Offline Nevol

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Member Knight
  • Queensland State Flag
October 05, 2007, 08:56:06 AM
I'd like to make a suggestion regarding a new "Perpetual Set' and it is that the weight be kept as low as possible to allow it to be sent around the world without it costing an arm & a leg for freight/postage.

Neol~Nancy
KOTCT #46
Queensland, Australia
Life is a mystery to be lived, not a problem to be solved.

Offline TwoShadows

October 05, 2007, 11:21:41 AM
That is my goal at this time. When the set does enter a country we will try and move it from member to member in that country before sending it back across the big pond. Hopefully in the future we may even have an extra buck or two to help those make those across the pond shipments. Would like to keep things on an even keel for everyone and with PayPal I can send money very quickly. Will know a little more when the set is finished and weighed for the first time. Also we will have the sign up scroll and are we going to send a gift along for to the next recipient as a keepsake each time we mail? I got a couple of kids wanting to see other parts of the world!!!

Terry
Knight #1

Offline Nevol

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Member Knight
  • Queensland State Flag
October 06, 2007, 09:13:24 AM
Twoshadows quote "and are we going to send a gift along for to the next recipient as a keepsake each time we mail?"

I'd be more than happy to include a 'gift' for the next recipient of the "Pet Set" (much easier to type),  I reckon there would be a 100% positive response to your question.

Neol~Nancy
KOTCT #46
Queensland, Australia
Life is a mystery to be lived, not a problem to be solved.

Offline ElleKitty

• Master Collector
  • Member Knight
  • KOTCT #67. Collecting bits and bobs for 35 years.
October 06, 2007, 09:57:01 AM
Definitely a positive response here.  I'd be happy to send along a gift/keepsake of the  "pet set". 

Do add this coin to my collection?

Cat?      Australian?              US?                Really Old?
  |    |        |      |                   |    |                   |     |
Yes  No     Yes   No              Yes  No                Yes   No
  |       |     |       |                 |    |                   |     |
(YES!) (?) (Yes!) (?)           (Nope) (?)             (YES!) (?)

Offline Madspec

October 07, 2007, 12:29:41 AM
I second the naming of the "Pet-Set",and the sending of a gift for the recipient.
I do think we need a listing included of the name and addresses of each member by country that could be marked off as each member receives the set, that way it will be easier for the set to continue on it's way more quickly.

I am willing to help any way I can at any time.

madspec

SIR MADSPEC  KNIGHT #57
TO SERVE WITH Honor,Respect,and Loyalty

Offline CoinCrusader42

• Angel Knight
  • Member Knight
  • Founding Member
October 07, 2007, 08:53:17 AM
Pet-Set sounds fine.

Also, a "gift" would add excitement to the proposition.

Offline Humpybong

October 07, 2007, 10:21:10 AM

Yep I like "Pet Set" as well.

Not such a mouthfull.

Barry
Brisbane, Australia
Forum Administrator

"Experience enables you to recognise a mistake when you make it a again"

Offline TwoShadows

October 07, 2007, 10:35:57 AM
Hey we could just refer to the set as EXCALIBER?

Terry
Knight #1

Offline Humpybong

October 07, 2007, 10:36:52 AM

Just as long as we don't have to pull it out of a rock!

Barry
Brisbane, Australia
Forum Administrator

Offline TwoShadows

October 07, 2007, 11:37:49 AM
Don't have to worry about that! I don't have the strength to put them in the rock! Actually the first set I started was Excaliber and shaped like a sword and the coins were in the handle and I was so close to finishing it when I realized the shipping costs would be a killer due to its length. So now I have a wooden sword, a knight on a horse and a dragon (second set attempt) lying in my woodshop due to size restriction. The new set will be very mailable and it is currently under construction.

Terry
Knight #1

Offline RenaL

October 07, 2007, 11:46:13 AM
I've imagined the set as a small size shield.

Offline TwoShadows

October 07, 2007, 11:14:14 PM
RenaL,  Quite honestly you are thinking like me but the 7 coins going into the set and the protective containers restrict the size somewhat. I will have one more look at that possibilty prior to cutting the woods and guess you all will have to live with whatever comes out of the dark recesses of my mind? Will keep you posted.

Terry
Knight #1

Offline TwoShadows

October 08, 2007, 09:42:15 AM
Well Old Dan I just happen to have a mounted skull on the wall so implanting those coins would be rather easy but shipping will be killer! Guess you will have to live with whatever I end up with!

Terry
Knight #1

Offline TwoShadows

October 08, 2007, 11:37:00 AM
Well Old Dan I think you and I ought to be in business my friend!!! To think you have those beauties out there and I did not know about it? I kept my skull and hide from my last hunt and do indeed intend to do it again!
I guess with a Knight medallion implanted in the skull it would appear the Knight won?

Terry
Knight #1

Offline Triggersmob

• Master Collector
  • Member Knight
  • Western Australian State Flag
October 08, 2007, 11:42:41 AM
In Aus our customs are very strict on the import of wooden products.
I would hate to see the set confiscated by customs.
Maybe Barry (BM1947) can tell us more, I think he is in the importing business. 

Steve
(From Western Australia)

OFEC count 239
See my gallery here, now with over 15,000 images...
http://www.coincommunity.org/gallery/index.php?cat=10048

Offline TwoShadows

October 08, 2007, 11:21:55 PM
Triggersmob,  I already have sent wooden products into Australia as gifts. Maybe I failed to mention the wood part? I think customs is very concerned about wood that has NOT been finished and could be carrying some undesired critters, more commonly known as insects or eggs, but I do know the other perpetual give a way set from another forum I used to frequent made its way into Australia without any problems!

Terry
Knight #1

Offline Humpybong

October 08, 2007, 11:45:46 PM

You are correct Steve. I am a Customs Broker here in Brisbane and am also approved by Australian Quarantine to certify certain shipments.

Small amount of timber being of a small thickness would normally be no trouble.   The Pet Set could be sent and it is unlikely AQIS would worry.  If they were we could arrange for treatment.

Barry
Brisbane, Australia
Forum Administrator

Offline TwoShadows

October 09, 2007, 01:26:57 PM
Just a quick note concernng MAJOR headway today on the Pet-Set named Excaliber! Wood is cut, holes have been drilled! Tomorrow I will fit (size)the coins, which are in airtites, to make sure they fit and can be rotated and then cut the holes for the square coin in the set. Do a little sanding and then start considering the lasered print which will be added prior to adding the finishes. A base will be routed and finished so it will be free standing. Then it will be unscrewed, glued, re-screwed and ready to hit the road. Getting closer to reality!!!

Terry
Knight #1

Offline TwoShadows

October 09, 2007, 02:25:13 PM
No wormy Chestnut here, that I can remember and you know how that goes, so I will probably find some in the next few days. I actually had some spalted maple tucked away and went out to have a look at it and found out the darn bugs were still living there! What a mess they have made! The board is now lying outside my woodshop as it waits for cold weather to end their miserable little lives!!! Actually the eggs and larvae will probably survive so the board will be going to a buddys wood burning furnace! If they get out of that I will call them Houdini!
I kept the set rather simple for shipping purposes and do hope it will be completed by the end of next week. I must take one step at a time so there is still some work left to do but we are getting closer!

Terry
Knight #1

Offline TwoShadows

October 10, 2007, 06:09:42 AM
The set is done, well the construction phase anyway, and I have gotten the opportunity to see what it is like with the coins inserted. Will await your opinion on that. Next step is laser engraving and when that is complete the finish will be put on. After it is dry the coins will be re-inserted and the set glued and screwed shut for the final time. Then the journey will begin so we are only a few days away, I hope!

Terry
Knight #1

Offline Humpybong

October 10, 2007, 12:22:53 PM

I hope we are going to get some pictures before you send it away.

Also when it arrives with anyone, lets get some picture of its travels.

Barry
Brisbane, Australia
Forum Administrator

Offline TwoShadows

October 10, 2007, 12:41:58 PM
My goal now is to have set ready to travel by Oct. 19th. The laser engraving will be done by Monday afternoon and the finish applied on Tuesday. I should be able to insert the coins and clue and scew on Wednesday or Thursday. Friday morning everything should be set and ready! Now all I have to do is figure out who gets it first. I may let the little guy draw a name out of the hat? Have not made up my mind but one thing is for certain, Excaliber will be starting an amazing journey in a few more days.

Terry
Knight #1

Offline CoinCrusader42

• Angel Knight
  • Member Knight
  • Founding Member
October 11, 2007, 08:48:27 PM
Barry,

I just posted elsewhere in our new home, stating the same hopes as you wrote about.

We need pictures of the set, showing a little of the surrounding countryside where it is visiting.  Then, the photo could be sent along with the set, and another copy of the photo could be posted here.  Over time we would build up quite a gallery of pictures.

Speaking of galleries, perhaps Techno-Knight could fix us up with one, and one section could be set aside for Pet Set pictures.

Offline TwoShadows

October 23, 2007, 02:26:51 PM
Well Old Dan I must admit there are few folks in the world that could pull a silver buffalo out of my herd! I figure you having a Hoosier good luck piece in Wyoming would be unique and I couldn't find a medallion with our State Seal on it, which would have really been appropriate, as it too carries a buffalo!!! I will find one for you to carry in your pocket as they pop up now and then! Until then you will have to live with the silver one!

Oh, by the way, we did tell you to make a little bed, knit a small blanket and sleep near the pet set? We know it gets cold early out there in those mountains so we don't want our little guy to catch a cold first time out!

Terry
Knight #1