• Master Collector
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Member Knight
  • My happy day : date of registration July 12, 2008
About silver coins
September 29, 2013, 05:41:13 AM
I found this :
http://knightsofthecointable.com/membersforum2/index.php?topic=3805.0
I havent any experiences with trade coins and I would like know something about buing silver coins. What kind of coins can buy for price of silver ? Are those coins in very poor quality or maybe in good quality too ?

:D  Our castle is the best coin place on the world :D

Offline Triggersmob

• Master Collector
  • Member Knight
  • Western Australian State Flag
Re: About silver coins
September 29, 2013, 11:47:47 AM
Silver is at about USD$22 per ounce (31grams) at the moment.
Washington silver quarters contain 0.18084 ounce of silver.
So if someone was selling them at the price of silver known as spot,
then they are worth USD$4 each.

Steve
(From Western Australia)

OFEC count 239
See my gallery here, now with over 15,000 images...
http://www.coincommunity.org/gallery/index.php?cat=10048

Offline Kena

September 29, 2013, 06:37:04 PM
Here is the direct link for caculating the melt value of silver US coins:

http://www.coinflation.com/coins/silver_coin_calculator.html

What you get in the roll would be pot luck.....poor quaility to good quality.

In the US it is not uncommon to encounter sellers like nonope who over time has built of rolls of silver coins since silver coiins do still circulate in the US (each year less and less circulate as more get pulled from circulation).  The US mint last made 90% silver dimes and quarters in 1964.  So if you were to buy a roll from nohope, then I don't think the roll would be full of poor quaility coins but at the same time, it would be common date Washington quaters.

Prices for rolls would go up if you ask for certain dates, mintmarks, and condition.  Which I have done with sellers when completing my silver Roosevelt dime collection.

www.numismedia.com/fmv/fmv.shtml is a useful site to give you an idea of what particular US coin might be worth in various grades.

Now the fun part about buying silver in EU countries.

1) VAT is charged when buying silver coins from dealers (Maple Leafs, Britannias, American Eagles, etc).
2) Customs duty (and in the UK a handling fee) can be encountered when bringing coins in from outside of the EU.  Some sellers will not put gift on the customs.  In the UK this needs to be paid before the item can be delivered to you.

I have been had this happen once and it made the silver bullion coin rather expensive.....of course a mistake was made by UK customs who read the declared value as being in pounds not US dollars.  So I got a refund of the customs duty but not the fee they charged to handle the item.

What sort of silver coins were you thing of, so more advice can be offered?

Ken

Offline Erik

• Master Collector
  • Member Knight
September 30, 2013, 05:06:41 AM
Thank you for information and I think it is anough difficult for me ::) I havent own account in bank and so I cannt buy but I can send money in letter. I dont must to afraid about VAT and custom duty if letter was send as gift - I think but I am not sure.

Of course I havenot money but I would :
1. To lend money and to buy for example 5 some silver coins
2. I sell 4 coins for price I bought them and give back money
3. I have one coin  ;D

But here are some problems. I dont know where to buy and I dont know where to sell  :) However if  somebody is selling  silver coins in good quality as Nohope then I could advertise their in Slovakia and maybe somebody will buy them.

Or maybe I can swap silver coins for commemorative 2 euro coins from Slovak banks and I dont must buy and to sell.

But I think that it is whole big nonsense  ;D

Offline Erik

• Master Collector
  • Member Knight
September 30, 2013, 05:37:01 AM
I have one question yet. What is really lowest price Morgan dollar ? Silver value is $16.76.

And I found this :
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1896-Silver-Morgan-Dollar-Unc-rainbow-toning/161113508956?rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D17850%26meid%3D1657108943447321214%26pid%3D100005%26prg%3D8208%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D5%26sd%3D281175179924%26

Time left: 7h 4m 44s (Sep 30, 2013 17:47:03 PDT)  Current bid: US $9.50

Is it really price ?

Offline Kena

September 30, 2013, 09:49:28 PM
Coin went for $29.

Melt Value is about $16.84.

From the price guide I posted - they said $30 (good) to $50 (mint state coin).

I no expert on grading but I would not place that coin as an MS 60 or high AU grade because of the marks on the face.

So I think did the buyer did well on the coin.  Paid a fair price since guides are always a bit on the high side.

Ken

Offline Erik

• Master Collector
  • Member Knight
October 01, 2013, 01:10:47 AM
yes, it is not really to buy nice morgan dollar for melt walue. Ok, if I will have some nice spare coin I will try swap those for silver coins in future. Nowadays I cannot nothing.