June 14, 2024, 08:45:11 AM

News

Medallions   

Goose

• Trade Count: (0)
(2) 1920 letters from Australia
April 20, 2010, 04:50:32 PM
For the last yr, I've been cleaning my folks' house out for it to be sold......500 miles (800 kms each way). Some of our family has habitated it for 74 yrs. While cleaning the house of all of the goodies, I found 2 letters that my mom received from Austrailia in 1920 from a 14 yr old girl, and a 15 yr old girl. My mom, who was 15 at the time, wrote first as some sort of class assignment.

One girl lived in "Somerton, S. Aus." and the other in "Gilberton, S.A."

The penmanship of these 2 girls is fantastic!!!!! If anyone would like one, email me. Aussies played basketball in the 1920s? Girls were separated from the guys on the playground? (The letters are interesting.)  Also, someone cut the stamps from the letters.  Free for the asking. Goose

Offline Muckeye

• Angel Knight
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Member Knight
  • Master Collector
Re: (2) 1920 letters from Australia
April 21, 2010, 10:39:06 AM
G'day Goose,  sounds like an interesting bit oh history.
I would be flattered to receive one of the letters.
I'm a bit of a history buff and would like to try and trace one of the families.
regardsm,  Muckeye.....
( add:  164 Carbeen Crescent, Nanango,  Queensland 4615.)

Muckeye ~ Knight #30

Offline TwoShadows

Re: (2) 1920 letters from Australia
April 21, 2010, 11:52:32 AM
Muckeye I had the same thoughts in mind! A few years back, actually quite a few, I found a balloon with a note on it in the dead of winter while hunting. Some kids in elementary school in Michigan had launched them weeks earlier. I responded to their experiment and threw in some cash for their next experiment. I few weeks later I received their school year book and a hand written and colored note from every kid in the class. Quite a treat for me and my kids in the end! Never forgot it!

Terry
Knight #1

"Life's a Lemon, I want my money back!" (Meatloaf)