June 18, 2024, 01:20:13 AM

News

Medallions   

Offline AdamL

The BEER discussion!
March 14, 2008, 04:45:40 PM
I was already thinking about starting this topic before it came up in the other topic. I've already admitted, I often drink the cold watery stuff because its what nearly everyone drinks around here, and I'm broke. Being near St. Louis, Anheuser-Busch products are what most folks drink. And its gotta be cold. But from time to time I like to get some good beer (which I usually drink cool, not ice-cold). Anyway, what does everyone else drink? Any of the other Americans here had some brew from Rogue Brewery, out or Oregon? They have some great products. One of my favorites is "Dead Guy Ale". Its got a picture of a skeleton sitting on a wooden barrel on the labell, and its delicious. Anyway, sorry for rambling. I just decided to start this thread because I'm sitting here drinking ice-cold Budweiser and reading about beer in the other thread. Goodnight ;)

-Adam
Knight Of The Coin Table #103

tyjulie

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: The BEER discussion!
March 14, 2008, 05:24:54 PM
XXXX gold is my choice of beer. Best way to drinking it is a good quality esky and heaps of ice.
let it get icy cold then pull up a stump and start consuming as much beer as possible before the wife calls. but watch out if the wife doesnt call because those stumps can be mighty hard to keep control of.
PS will drink any type of beer (sometimes i will buy a pack of beer which has beers from different countries)

Topher

March 14, 2008, 11:46:30 PM
I grew up in Pennsylvania so we used to get $2 pitchers of Yuengling.  (America's oldest brewery!)  I went to Penn State and anyone from the western side of the state used to brag about Iron City beer, but we tended to refer to that as "the bottled beer that tastes like a can".  I kid you not, that stuff had a steel taste to it, since it was made from the waters of Pittsburgh!  LOL

Then, when I moved to Australia, I found out what real beers are like. Of course, my favourite was Toohey's New, but there were other good Aussie beers like Victoria Bitter and Hahn Premium.  In general,  they were all better.  Most Americans don't realize that Aussies don't drink Fosters, which, of course, is the best known Australian beer over here, due to their advertising campaign.

Now, in Canada, the beers are still better than the US, and almost up to the level of Aussie Beers.  I drive past the Molson brewery every day to and from work, but there are just as many smaller brews, like Sleeman and my curent favourite- Lakeport Beer.

Hmmm..... I'm getting thirsty.  :D

Offline Paint Your Wagon

March 15, 2008, 02:06:05 AM
Everybody knows I worked for Monsanto before they fired me
In whole of St Louis I did not find a single beer drinkable probably since I did not try
They laughed at me when I asked for heavy Bud  ???
They offered me Heineken which is a joke to a Belgian
The most exported beer out of Belgium is Stella Artois which gives me an headache but it is the proof adds and public relations govern the beer world

One day I asked for a double shot of 12 year old single malt Glenfiddich I saw sitting on the bar shelf (St Louis)
They served it with ice and were shocked when I told them they could take it back because that was not my order  ;D
I do not care THEY do it and I do not care that in Florida they put ice in the nicest Nappa Valley red
I will not pay for having aroma and taste murdered  :D

I must say though the Ritz Carlton hotel served a phantastic Pina Colada with life piano music and unexpected entertainement like a convention
with guys all in read dresses and red peaked cap like in the Flint Stones

Where I am going I ain't certain
Where I am going I don't know
All I know is that I'am on my way

Offline ElleKitty

• Master Collector
  • Member Knight
  • KOTCT #67. Collecting bits and bobs for 35 years.
March 15, 2008, 02:50:55 AM
Beer.  I love beer.  I enjoy trying different beers from anywhere in the world.

Everyone knows I advocate Shiner.  I won't go through that song and dance again.  Other favourites include Guinness, Young's Double Chocolate Stout with a healthy dose of Raspberry Lambic added to it, Abita Beer's Purple Haze & Turbo Dog (Louisiana Brewery,), Blackened Voodoo ('Nother Louisiana beer) and when I feel like drinking a cheaper American beer, Coors Banquet is the way to go.

Do add this coin to my collection?

Cat?      Australian?              US?                Really Old?
  |    |        |      |                   |    |                   |     |
Yes  No     Yes   No              Yes  No                Yes   No
  |       |     |       |                 |    |                   |     |
(YES!) (?) (Yes!) (?)           (Nope) (?)             (YES!) (?)

Offline AdamL

March 15, 2008, 06:55:05 AM
Topher, beer made from the waters of Pittsburg? YUCK!

Paint Your Wagon: I'm from near St. Louis, and I can't beleive they put that ice in your drink. Thats crazy. In my opinion, ice has no place in any alcoholic beverage.

I enjoy guinness as well, and I've had some good Canadien beer too.

-Adam
Knight Of The Coin Table #103

Offline Paint Your Wagon

March 15, 2008, 07:20:14 AM
Paint Your Wagon: I'm from near St. Louis, and I can't beleive they put that ice in your drink. Thats crazy. In my opinion, ice has no place in any alcoholic beverage.

well I have to say I have been to St Louis like twenty times each time for a week and in general I liked the city very much
It was mostly a 14 hrs transit since there is no direct flight from Brussels to St Louis so my internal clock was on 3 am on arrival most of the times
Clayton was my favourite Ritz Carlton and that Japanese on the top roof of a Plaza; Robato my favourite all lobster dinner place
In those days I was still smoking real Cubans I got in Spain and one lobster restaurant put my table smack in the middle of a backdoor as a smokers place  ???

I have the fondest memories of Union Station and Alaska King Crab legs in a little restorant on the second floor and the songs a team sang on the first floor whilst making bad chocolate  ;D
I think they called it chocolate fudge but it did not taste like anything I had before

The only thing the beer did to me was going to the euh restroom ( we still call it a WC in belgium)
So I stuck to Pina Coladas most of the time since they knew how to make that  :D

Offline RenaL

March 15, 2008, 08:06:55 AM
Here's a beer museum for you;
http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/kazancakis/Carlsberg_Visitors_Centre

I got the chance to see the Carlsberg's old factory - now museum in Copenhagen - Denmark.
They have the world's  biggest collection of beer bottles; some 17.000 unopened beer bottles of different brands/flavours and the number is counting.

They also have a section that you can taste different flavours of the Jacobsen Brewery (J.C. Jacobsen is the founder of Carlsberg). You can try 20 different smells and decide which ones you like and which ones you don't, then try a beer with the flavours you may like.

I also noticed that Danish have a growing trend for small breweries that supply beer locally, proobably the same applies in other European countries.

scottishmoney

March 15, 2008, 08:52:38 AM
Beer.  I love beer.  I enjoy trying different beers from anywhere in the world.

Abita Beer's Purple Haze & Turbo Dog (Louisiana Brewery,)

I hae some o' that kaypin kewl right as we spake. :D

But the drink this week is Kvas from Russia. 

Offline Paint Your Wagon

March 16, 2008, 12:45:51 AM
I also noticed that Danish have a growing trend for small breweries that supply beer locally, proobably the same applies in other European countries.

Belgium is so small that everything is locally so to speak
I only know of one brewery selling outside of Belgium and that is in my opinion a very average beer with a large advertissement budget Stella Artois
In the past ten years most commercial breweries outside the Abbies have been bought by international concerns
One of the good beers is Maes but I do not think it is sold outside Belgium another good beer is the expensive line of Kronenburg in France but they are on the French side of the German border and if I am not mistaken they once were German

scottishmoney

March 16, 2008, 02:41:56 AM
I could get Kronenbourg in Europe, and it was to die for.  I cannot buy that in N. America unfortunately.

Offline GregK

March 16, 2008, 09:29:58 PM
On the net talk back the other night and someone said that he was on his third can of miller Steel @ 8%.  Eight percent, I thought, that's strong for an American beer (I googled it to check).  I have tried Chimay (nice drop). I like Lonestar (Texan).  With Australian, Coopers in South Aust is a nice drop
However, when home in Queensland, its XXXX Gold nice drop (cold). My Dad has always had a dash of Sars in his and that is not a bad drop. There are now many private in Australia with products that are "top notch" though some are better served "on tap" then bottled.  I like a particular Australian private beer that  has an animal picture on it.  On Tap, it is brilliant,  :) though bottled, it tastes like the animal has done something in the bottle  :P