April 27, 2024, 09:32:40 AM

News

Medallions   

Offline RenaL

Türkiye / Turkey new 5 Lira Coin
January 15, 2024, 01:15:13 AM
Hi guys, long time no see, sorry for being a stranger for some time.
I have been working on a personal site where I intend to compile info on Turkish coins.
So I am sort of back. I will try to make more time for the forum.

I have an update for those interested;  The Turkish Mint released a new 5 Lira bimetallic coin into circulation.
This is the first new circulation denomination since 2009, and the sixth type of 5 TL coins.

2023 was the centenary of the republic and this coin was announced as a commemorative circulation coin.
It is announced that 100.000.000 pieces will be struck.

The obverse bears an effigy of Mustafa Kemal Atatürk as Commander-in-Chief uniform.
The portrait is made after this photo from 1922.

The reverse bearing the “Türkiye Century” logo beside the denomination 5, around them is an eight-pointed “Seljuki Star” motiff, and the Turkish Lira symbol “₺” as well as the initials "TC" are used as security elements by the sides of the repeating star motif.

I have this clip for showing the design under different light.

(for those confused by the title; since early 2022, the Turkish government requests that the UN and other international organizations to use Türkiye officially in English (and not Turkey)

*edited to update the link for the original photo

The following users thanked this post: Humpybong, Merlin, Turtle

Offline Humpybong

Re: Türkiye / Turkey new 5 Lira Coin
January 15, 2024, 09:44:53 PM
Nice to see you back.

Barry
Brisbane, Australia
Forum Administrator

"Experience enables you to recognise a mistake when you make it a again"

The following users thanked this post: RenaL

Offline Triggersmob

• Master Collector
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Member Knight
  • Western Australian State Flag
January 27, 2024, 04:43:42 PM
Beautiful coin from Turkiye. Glad to see you back Renal. I hope you and your family have been keeping well. I have done some trades with another friend in Turkiye, so my collection has grown since we last traded. I look forward to seeing your new site. I'm going to need that new coin now.

Steve
(From Western Australia)

OFEC count 239
See my gallery here, now with over 15,000 images...
http://www.coincommunity.org/gallery/index.php?cat=10048

The following users thanked this post: RenaL

Offline RenaL

March 17, 2024, 04:30:21 AM
Beautiful coin from Turkiye. Glad to see you back Renal. I hope you and your family have been keeping well. I have done some trades with another friend in Turkiye, so my collection has grown since we last traded. I look forward to seeing your new site. I'm going to need that new coin now.

Glad you liked it Steve.

The website is online now. and since you asked; it feels less of a shameless self-promotion to share the link :D
https://cumhuriyetparalari.com/en/

The English pages are a subset of the whole content as I am translating the originals gradually, as I can find the time for it.
(All your comments; positive or otherwise are very much welcome)

Offline Redlock

March 17, 2024, 07:41:23 PM
The website is online now.

The English pages are a subset of the whole content as I am translating the originals gradually, as I can find the time for it.

Thanks for sharing the link. Very interesting and informative site.
I hope the English pages will grow soon because I don't speak Turkish.
I am not a collector of world coins like Steve. Yet, I do have a type set of the New Lira coins. I also have some of the circulation commemoratives. But quite a few are still missing. And of course, I need to add the 5 Lira coin to the set.

By the way, I have a question about the current 200 Lira banknote. Perhaps, you might be able to answer it.
I see on numista that the number of printed 200 Lira banknotes for Series I (2009) and Series II (2013) is given on numista. Any idea where numista got these figures? Are these figures accurate?
Printing figures for the other series are not given.
I searched the website of the Turkish Central Bank. You can find the number of banknotes in circulation there. But not the number of printed banknotes. At least, I wasn't able to find them.
So, I am wondering here the information about the printed number comes from.

Germany

Offline Triggersmob

• Master Collector
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Member Knight
  • Western Australian State Flag
March 18, 2024, 01:34:29 AM

Glad you liked it Steve.

The website is online now. and since you asked; it feels less of a shameless self-promotion to share the link :D

Thank you for the link Renal. I have saved it, but it's getting late here, so I'll check it out tomorrow.

Cheers

Steve :)

Steve
(From Western Australia)

OFEC count 239
See my gallery here, now with over 15,000 images...
http://www.coincommunity.org/gallery/index.php?cat=10048