Worldwide Coins & Bank Notes > Ancient and Medieval Coins

Uncleaned Crusty Roman Coins

(1/2) > >>

SirStacksALot:
Ten "unclean crusty roman coins" just arrived from ebay last night. At about $2 each, I figured why not. The great thing about them was the reaction in my house by my wife and my 7 year old daughter Sophia.

My wife's reaction : "They look like dirt" with a smile and a shake of the head. My response: "They are over 1000 years old".  My wife... still not impressed

A little history of my 7 year old daughters typical response when I receive coins or silver rounds in the mail. It usually goes something like this: "Really...... MORE tokens?"

This time it went like this, as my wife watched the conversation:

Sophia: "What are those?"         
Me: "They are old coins"
Sophia: "Why are they so dirty?"
Me: "They are over 1000 years old"
Sophia: "Coooooooooooool"
Me: "Do you want to help clean them"
Sophia: Jumping up and down and excited "yes, yes, yes, yes"
Me: Look over to my wife with a big cheesy smile

A few minutes later I had a jar of olive oil ready to soak 4 of them (the rest will probably go through some other experimentation), and Sophia asks if she can "Have the honor of putting them in the jar". Again I look back at my wife with an even bigger smile. These may be the best coins that I have bought yet.

Goose:
That is a nice story S S A L. Keep Sophia engaged, she's one of the future of coin collecting.

Nevol:
How to bring on the next generation!  ;D  Keep her interest up and she'll soon be hooked.  ;)

Triggersmob:
Great story. Dad 1 , Mum 0.  :)
PM your address and I will send some Aussie coins to your Daughter.

SirStacksALot:
That would be great triggersmob, I'm pretty sure she would be excited to have some aussie coins addressed to her.  I will PM you my address.  I would like to send you some tokens in return too.

A little update, last night we tried out some electrolysis on one of the coins, and it worked pretty well. I think I have her interest, hopefully I can keep her interested.  Here are some pics from the experiment.

Not exactly sure what it is yet, but I think its about 1500 years old and roman. Any ideas?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version