April 28, 2024, 03:22:14 PM

News

Medallions   

Offline TwoShadows

2008 Medallions to be struck?
January 09, 2008, 01:01:53 AM
I think it is time we approved the types of medallions we wish to pursue in 2008 so I have started this poll. Personally I would like to eliminate brass and just go with the silver and copper in 38mm and the 63mm pewter. Will keep this poll open for 30 days so we can come to a decision and have this out of the way prior to Daniels Carr's release of the designs for 2008. Feel free to comment!

Terry
Knight #1

"Life's a Lemon, I want my money back!" (Meatloaf)

Topher

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: 2008 Medallions to be struck?
January 09, 2008, 02:59:08 AM
As long as the 63mm pewter one remains, I'm not as picky about the rest.  I'm looking forward to a large collection of those beauties!

Offline ElleKitty

• Master Collector
  • Member Knight
  • KOTCT #67. Collecting bits and bobs for 35 years.
January 09, 2008, 10:09:10 AM
Myself, I want to keep going with the Silver more than anything else.

Have we got a design to approve or discuss from Daniel yet?

Do add this coin to my collection?

Cat?      Australian?              US?                Really Old?
  |    |        |      |                   |    |                   |     |
Yes  No     Yes   No              Yes  No                Yes   No
  |       |     |       |                 |    |                   |     |
(YES!) (?) (Yes!) (?)           (Nope) (?)             (YES!) (?)

Dumanyu

January 09, 2008, 10:23:22 AM
I'm looking forward to the Silver Medallion. I missed the 2007 one.

Offline Humpybong

January 09, 2008, 10:28:27 AM

Fred....if you contact member nohope587 he has some spares for sale

Barry
Brisbane, Australia
Forum Administrator

"Experience enables you to recognise a mistake when you make it a again"

scottishmoney

January 09, 2008, 11:06:30 AM
My, doth we lack ambitious plans for yellow flavoured morsels? :o

Offline TwoShadows

January 09, 2008, 02:53:55 PM
No we don't but the interest must be there as the dies will be available. I would like to see a smaller YELLOW medallion stuck to keep it in an affordable neighborhood and similar to the Netherlands modern ducat. Their 1/10 oz gold is bigger than a nickel yet smaller than a quarter. It is thin but does show detail much better than our U.S. counterpart in the 1/10 ounce size. Will start another poll to see if such a medallion is desired and will have to get with Daniel Carr to see if it would be feasable to strike a small number of gold medallions and get back with you.

Terry
Knight #1

Offline TwoShadows

January 09, 2008, 03:02:20 PM
Also I would really like for everyone, who is interested in the 2008 medallions, to PLEASE vote in this poll as I don't want a handful of members making this decision as, when its made, it will be FINAL just as last year. Ordering and making payment will be different this year as well now that we know what we are up against and the approximate cost of this program. Hopefully we will have a few bucks on hand to offset any increase in precious metal costs and can keep the price level the same as last year. It is up to us!!!

Terry
Knight #1

Offline NoHope587

• Master Collector
  • Member Knight
  • Killer of Coins
January 09, 2008, 03:18:41 PM
I like the idea of gold but it would require additional dies to be cut to reduce the size of the design I suspect the cost of this would inflate the price beyond most peoples budget. with Gold around $900 per ounce we are already talking about $90 metal content which would surely put the overall cost of the token above most forum members budget. My Personal opinion is that all the medal issues should be in a budget range that all knights could afford not just those with a higher disposable income.

If gold were decide upon then some kind of layaway plan would probably have to be implemented. This means some one would have to bear the brunt of the costs and be repaid over time.
Just my two cents worth.

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

Offline Nevol

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Member Knight
  • Queensland State Flag
January 09, 2008, 05:48:57 PM
While I would love to have a Gold Medallion for 2008, I will stick with getting the same as 2007, 1 silver + 1 63mm.  Like nohope said, the cost of gold makes it too expensive.

Neol~Nancy
KOTCT #46
Queensland, Australia
Life is a mystery to be lived, not a problem to be solved.

Offline CoinCrusader42

• Angel Knight
  • Member Knight
  • Founding Member
January 10, 2008, 06:48:49 AM
Yes, silver plus the large medal would get my vote.

:) :) :) :)

Offline Triggersmob

• Master Collector
  • Member Knight
  • Western Australian State Flag
January 10, 2008, 08:53:53 PM
I don't know that I could afford to buy a full set every year, so I would settle for just a 63mm Pewter. At a stretch I would take a silver too.

Steve
(From Western Australia)

OFEC count 239
See my gallery here, now with over 15,000 images...
http://www.coincommunity.org/gallery/index.php?cat=10048

Offline TwoShadows

January 10, 2008, 11:04:46 PM
Thats the reason I would like to tone it down a bit this year by eliminating the brass medallion. The silver and copper are great examples of our medallions and the 63mm pewter medallion is simply icing on the cake. The trick, this year, will be to hold prices down to last years levels as we all know silver has moved upward a bit!

Terry
Knight #1

Offline Paint Your Wagon

January 10, 2008, 11:33:59 PM
See middle of attached page
According to german computer models silver is ready to go to 21 dollars this year
So it may be prudent to buy the silver early in the year

http://www.godmode-trader.de/front/index.php?p=news&ida=761307&idc=8

Where I am going I ain't certain
Where I am going I don't know
All I know is that I'am on my way

edix

January 11, 2008, 07:27:37 AM
One thing we may recall is that last year we chose not to order the 63mm medal, since so few wanted it and it would be a whole new set of die charges for the larger issue -- making the individual medals costly on a per items basis. It wound up that Daniel Carr minted some as a gift to us since we had to wait a long time to finally get the 38mm medals.
Daniel Carr may have a different set of charges this year, due to his changed tech abilities, so the 63mm may be affordable on top of the 38mm issues. But he would have to tell us himself.

Offline TwoShadows

January 11, 2008, 08:39:03 AM
Good point Edix. Hopefully Daniel Carr is checking in now and then and, if not, I will have to get with him to see where prices stand this year. Will keep everyone posted as info comes in but do want to get some idea exactly what we want before proceeding. Actually we really don't have to change a thing as the silver, brass and copper 38mm were all struck from the same dies so their is no additional cost, regardless of the metals used. Just testing the waters, so to speak!

Terry
Knight #1

Offline TwoShadows

January 11, 2008, 09:55:36 AM
Silver continues it rise as it is well over the $16 mark now. Gold reached $900 with no end in sight. It would probably be in our best interest to seriously consider getting the 2008 medallions rolling pretty quickly and, if nothing else, figure out how we could secure some ounces of silver as quickly as possible for Daniel Carr to hold until it is time to strike? Thoughts on this?

Terry
Knight #1

Offline Paint Your Wagon

January 12, 2008, 12:14:25 AM
You will have to buy the blanks in the right thickness and size right now and vacuum weld them untill striking

edix

January 12, 2008, 11:16:36 AM
Daniel Carr might have some advice on just when to purchase the silver planchets, if that is the route we'll be going in.

But I'd like to get back to the issue of putting in an order, by using last year's experience for attempting to figure things.
Last year Daniel Carr set up pricing in this fashion:
-- Design charge - I forget the cost, but it was like full price for the obverse design and half price for the reverse.
-- Die charge - X price per each one, obverse and reverse die, or by the pair, I forget.
-- Minting/Metal/Finish/&c. charge - combined charge per medal planchet struck. Copper and Brass nearly equivalent, silver higher. Slight different charge btwn prooflike and satin finishes. There were also options for medal numbering and Airtite capsules.

OK, given that set of parameters, the price of the individual medals was contingent on just how many were minted, since the more minted cuts back, fractionally, on the cost of the design and die charges. So, in our case last year with the 6 different styles of 38mm medals, the order was large enough to dilute the design and die charges per individual medal. One reason this was so is due to nohope's order of 60 medals alone.

Now, if we attempted to outright purchase the 63mm medals last year, more medals on top of the 38mm design would drop the fractionalized price of the design, since that didn't change, being digital, but would have to account for a separate 63mm pair of dies and then the planchet charges as well. Again, I don't recall what the die charges would have been, for this 63mm medal, but it was likely fairly significant, and whatever higher price 63mm planchets would cost. Added to this is that the 63mm order would only be of one type of medal, in terms of what was offered last year, so it would be more difficult to dilute the die charges for this one.

I suggest that we get Daniel Carr to break things down again this year, in terms of what demand seems popular, and then do the math to approximate just how much each type of order will be.

Offline TwoShadows

January 12, 2008, 11:34:49 PM
I agree a lot will depend on Daniel Carr concerning this years medallion. With the new members we have picked up I feel we can stay in the approximate range of 150 to 200 medallions again this year (38mm) but discussions will have to be held concerning the 63mm pewter as we did NOT pay for those dies last year. Daniel offered the 63mm medallion after delays in production of the 38mm. One thing is for cerain, at least I hope so, and that is I/We should have some idea what we will be considering after this poll ends. Thanks Edix for bringing up the concerns on the large medallion as that had slipped my mind. We will get with Daniel, after seeing the new designs, to figure cost estimates based on last years order and see what we come up with.

Terry
Knight #1

Offline Paint Your Wagon

January 13, 2008, 12:46:37 AM
Can you get a price for the silver medals ?
I would like to pay for several as soon as you get a price
I am retired with money now  ;D

Tpatna

January 18, 2008, 10:57:23 PM
I'm looking forward to the Silver Medallion.  I would like to see the pewter as well.

Offline TwoShadows

January 18, 2008, 11:05:53 PM
Hopefully we will have some answers before too long! Will keep everyone posted. I do think that our efforts, at this time, will be 38mm silver and copper medallions and the pewter 63mm.

Terry
Knight #1

tyjulie

January 18, 2008, 11:49:07 PM
just a quick question
what would the price be on these medallions.
the price might changed some opinions.

Offline TwoShadows

January 19, 2008, 12:02:06 AM
The 2007 medallions were priced at $30 for the silver, $15 for the copper and brass and the 63mm pewter was $10. The pewter medallions were a last minute offer made by Daniel Carr due to production delays on the 38mm medallions. We will have to get updates on this years medallions and prices. We will see what the price of precious metals will do to us at the time of ordering.

Terry
Knight #1

edix

January 19, 2008, 02:08:28 AM
That $10 price on the pewter medallions is in no way indicative of what it would cost if ordered this year. It might be two or three times that, or more.

Offline CoinCrusader42

• Angel Knight
  • Member Knight
  • Founding Member
January 19, 2008, 08:44:52 AM
My wife (MountainLady) is most interested in the silver medal.  My favorite is the 63mm pewter medal.

We look forward to learning prices.

:) :) :) :)