June 18, 2024, 01:10:53 AM

News

Medallions   

longnine009

• Trade Count: (0)
Is there a geek in the house?
April 26, 2008, 09:54:26 AM
I defiantly have a Trojan on my computer--thank you Norton's that big nothing!

Does anyone know of a Trojan remover that actually is a Trojan remover and not just another Trojan? I don't care if I have to buy something as long as I can get this puking dog  out of my face.

Is Spyware doctor any good?

Offline Triggersmob

• Master Collector
  • Member Knight
  • Western Australian State Flag
Re: Is there a geek in the house?
April 26, 2008, 10:51:56 AM
You can download AVG free from the net.

It found a trojan on my computer a couple of days ago.

Steve
(From Western Australia)

OFEC count 239
See my gallery here, now with over 15,000 images...
http://www.coincommunity.org/gallery/index.php?cat=10048

longnine009

April 26, 2008, 11:50:01 AM
Thanks, I'll try out the free version and if it gets rid of this trojan I'll subscribe to them. Since Norton's comes up for renewal in June. And they are FIRED FIRED FIRED FIRED FIRED!

FIRED!

dharmaeye

April 26, 2008, 12:33:37 PM
Ad-Aware also has a free bee that works.
I've been using McAfee cause its free with Comcast broadband. Seen free offers available from brokers......

AVG alternating with Ad-Aware combined with McAfee seem to keep me free.

PS a great utility is Ccleaner.com  ----Yes Crap Cleaner - safe solid..... and keeps register clean among alot of other valuable stuff.

arthrene

April 26, 2008, 12:45:41 PM
I also use Ad-Aware and AVG. They work for me.

Topher

April 26, 2008, 02:35:09 PM
Another vote for AVG for anyone using Windows.  Use of an alternate OS is even better.

Offline Paint Your Wagon

April 26, 2008, 11:43:13 PM
I have Norton suite as first protection
AVG anti spyware shield and scan paid ( there is also AVG antivirus but that is something else)
I got shield and hand scan from spybot search and destroy free as third defense
http://www.spybot.info/nl/index.html
Final defense is Hijack This ( it will scan and kill anyting you ask for so first research on the net you really want to kill cause you could be killing XP)

http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en-US/tools/security_tools/hijackthis/qsg
http://www.hijackthis.de/en

Where I am going I ain't certain
Where I am going I don't know
All I know is that I'am on my way

Offline Paint Your Wagon

April 26, 2008, 11:48:12 PM
I have Norton suite as first protection
AVG anti spyware shield and scan paid ( there is also AVG antivirus but that is something else)
I got shield and hand scan from spybot search and destroy free as third defense
http://www.spybot.info/nl/index.html
Final defense is Hijack This ( it will scan and kill anyting you ask for so first research on the net you really want to kill cause you could be killing XP)

http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en-US/tools/security_tools/hijackthis/qsg
http://www.hijackthis.de/en

Allthoug spybot search and destroy is free it is one of the best but may tell you it cannot kill the operating Trojan then go to hijack this after research on the net and kill it manually
You may have to to this whilst running
Reboot in safe mode and do it again
Reboot and run spybot and kill again
Reboot a last time

I had two Trojans that survived untill I applied this procedure

Offline ElleKitty

• Master Collector
  • Member Knight
  • KOTCT #67. Collecting bits and bobs for 35 years.
April 27, 2008, 06:40:47 AM
AVG Virus protection, AdAware and Spybot Spyware for me.  All 3 great programs.  Haven't had any problems since I started using them. :)

Do add this coin to my collection?

Cat?      Australian?              US?                Really Old?
  |    |        |      |                   |    |                   |     |
Yes  No     Yes   No              Yes  No                Yes   No
  |       |     |       |                 |    |                   |     |
(YES!) (?) (Yes!) (?)           (Nope) (?)             (YES!) (?)

Offline Paint Your Wagon

April 27, 2008, 06:55:48 AM
AVG Virus protection, AdAware and Spybot Spyware for me.  All 3 great programs.  Haven't had any problems since I started using them. :)

Ah yes but how do I say this
It is rumoured that Bill Gates had several computer shops visited in belgium
I do not know by real police or by private investigators or both
Some were found copying software during openinghours , not to bright of them

I got a free demo of a game
Whilst I was playing the game it opened six websites each and everyone having a different Trojan or virus
I noticed the game slowing down to a virtual standstill and went to look
AVG and Spybot had done a valiant effort but failed ( I am not sure what Norton did )
It was only HiJackThis that cleaned up MY mess after 4 reboots with me deciding what to kill

I still have the demo . It is harmless untill played . I wonder what happens if I play it without internet cable connected . Tempting  ::)

longnine009

April 27, 2008, 10:53:46 AM
Thanks  everyone for the replies.  I'll probably try everything until I get something that works. As for Hijack this, I'll  keep it in mind. And if I have to I'll try to get my brother to come over and do it. I'm not going to mess with that.  My installation of a simple as it's get dial up modem was a disaster.  :-[

I going to start with AVG's free check--on my next  day off.  I hope that works because I want to get a new virus checker. If they can get rid of this trojan than they sound like a good one to change to.  Nortons, apparently, doesn't even know the trojan is there. I get updates from them every week and I run a full scan every week after their updates. If they can't find a trojan than they won't find me either when the renewal comes up.    >:(

Offline Paint Your Wagon

April 27, 2008, 10:51:05 PM
I only keep Norton because I grew accustomed to Ghost which creates an image of my entire computer onto a backup drive every week and does incremental back ups every day. On top of that I have all my pictures on a USB stick.

Your best bet though may be spybot search and destroy which will find the Trojan but may not be able to cure it if it has multiple files and is running

good luck

Dumanyu

April 28, 2008, 09:13:07 AM
I defiantly have a Trojan on my computer--thank you Norton's that big nothing!

Does anyone know of a Trojan remover that actually is a Trojan remover and not just another Trojan? I don't care if I have to buy something as long as I can get this puking dog  out of my face.

Is Spyware doctor any good?

Long,
    IF you have AOL, that comes with McAfee AV software at no extra charge. In truth, this is the only reason I keep AOL, as they bill lower under BYOP (Bring Your Own Provider).

longnine009

April 28, 2008, 09:36:38 AM
No I  use Bellsouth.  I tried McAfee. It's okay but it takes forever to run a system scan with them. 

Paint Your Wagon, Spybot finds the trojan everytime but just  says their was a problem with it. It doesn't remove it. I don't blame them too much since they're free and they can at least find it.

Offline Paint Your Wagon

April 29, 2008, 12:51:16 AM
No I  use Bellsouth.  I tried McAfee. It's okay but it takes forever to run a system scan with them. 

Paint Your Wagon, Spybot finds the trojan everytime but just  says their was a problem with it. It doesn't remove it. I don't blame them too much since they're free and they can at least find it.

You go to details in the spybot red item and write down the exact path like c:/ downloads/ temp/ 2ze/ zip or maybe rar or whatever but probably temp and zip combined

Then go to my computer and give a search for this path or track it down manually : once you found it try and delete the file or program manually
( if you succeed it will go to the trash can or norton protected recycle bin or whatever and you will have to delete it a second time probably spybot will do it for you)

If it refuses to be terminated by hand it probably will not show up using alt ctrl del which is supposed to show all running programs but does not (PoS) if it shows up try and kill it there

But since spybot found it the best bet is to download free HijackThis and read the instructions ( you have the option to run and save a logfile ) copy paste this logfile in the automatic analysis site I posted and analyze . You should see an active category with the same path name as spybot found up and running
( If you still doubt in another window run a websearch to find out what kind of trojan or whatever it is )
Now go back to HijackThis which is still open and put a check in the box in front of the bad line and choose delete with back up

If Temp is in the line I do not think there is anything whatsoever you can do wrong 
Be also prepaired to find copies in " system volume information" which is normally an hidden file unless you check it as show .This file as the go back points to safe state of your computer but is useless if you are infected : so at one time I deleted the complete filehistory
Be also prepaired to find a copy in an archive on D or F or whatever you have.

Chances are if you delete the running file with HijackThis that all the other copies will be handled by spybot
I know it is scary the first time but I was paying 50 euro for every virus that refused to be deleted and the guy executed a lot of unnecessary mumbo jumbo cleaning up a lot of nonsense files hiding the fact that with his copy of a Program like HijackThis he fixed the problem in 5 minutes but staid busy and billed 45 minutes

Good luck and don't hesitate to ask 

longnine009

April 29, 2008, 03:32:14 PM
Thanks Paint Your Wagon. I got a funny feeling I'm going to end having to use HiJack this. First though I want to try and install Spybot's latest version. I tried before but got some crap about files are corrupted please down load again. I'm going to down load it again and try to install it in safe mode. Maybe that'll work.

longnine009

May 02, 2008, 09:38:39 AM
I thought I had a trojan on my computer? It's looks more like a block party going on. I ran HiJackThis and have about a 100 lines of problems. I also have been reading up on this stuff like BHOs Browser Helper Objects.  More like Browser help us track you objects.  I read that some versions of IE have "hooks" that allow some wonderful entities such as the Russian mafia to track key strokes that they then use to hack peoples' on line bank accounts. Is that true? Because if it is it makes IE more than a freaking joke!

Anyway I sent the report to BleepingComputer and hopefully an "Elder Geek" will look at soon and advise me.

Even as I was posting to BleepingComputer , through FireFox, I opened a folder to copy the HiJackThis report and IE opened and I got the pop up:

"Notice: Your computer is infected. you could suffer data loss, erratic PC behavior PC freezes and crashes. Detect and remove viruses before they activate themselves on your PC. To prevent all these problems do you want to install Trusted Antivirus  to scan your PC for malware now?"

Guess they're trying to be cute now? We'll see how cute they are when HiJackThis pulls their $%*@#)$ spine out through their mouth.   >:(

Offline Paint Your Wagon

May 02, 2008, 11:33:28 PM
Hijack this will kill all you need to kill
You are on the right track wait for the answer
Once you are there you may want to stop pop ups and disable flash and stop direct X and install the free shield of spybot
If there is anything you want to see like moving fragments you can allways use firefox which lets you change easily by clicking on the F and it starts your song or movy in flash

My bank uses a calculator they give you which calculates a 12 numbers valid for a minute
Until somebody gets the algoritm in that calculator they can have logg on and password and account number etc but will not get past the first login with calculator . Then when you want to transfer money the calculator takes the amount and based on the amount generates another 12 numbers which fed back give another 6 numbers and I am sure this is another logarim etc
It is a pain but I am sure very secure

longnine009

May 03, 2008, 12:48:11 AM
If only we could use it to get rid of politicians. You know just put a check mark on their forehead with a magic marker:

C:/Program file /pukebot-includes zombies/congress.trojans-FTW.blue

click

deleted   ;D