May 18, 2024, 07:29:48 PM

News

Medallions   

Offline TwoShadows

I have one extra 2009 Netherlands silver $5 Euro commemorative. This unique coin is the FIRST coin in the history of the world to be minted in 3-D.  Under a magnifying glass the town layout, streets and terrain appear three dimensional. (Both sides) This technology has never been used before in the world.
Het Manhattan Vijvje,  Eerste officiele Herdenkingsmunt 2009
Spaar ze allemaal,  Zwaar verzilverde Euro 5 munt
400 jaar Nederland-Manhattan

This silver coin comes in the official Netherlands souvenir card. First $10 offer plus $1.50 shipping gets it!

Terry
Knight #1

"Life's a Lemon, I want my money back!" (Meatloaf)

Goose

• Trade Count: (0)
Terry, what's the diameter of that coin....and it's silver content?

Beaver

Hi,
I'll get one from an netherland, how are the people from the netherlands called?  ;D i don't know....
However, the coin is not made out of silver, it's silverplated only  :-\

Sepp

Offline Paint Your Wagon

"zwaar verzilverd" littery means heavely silver plated
The people from the neatherlands are two groups Dutch and in the nord Fries ( from friesland ) also they speak Fries(ian) which is unlike any language we Flemish speaking would understand
In principle is Dutch and Flemish and South Afrikaans ranked as one language ( but that is stretching it a bit cause South Afrikaans is a very old form of Flemish - Dutch )

Where I am going I ain't certain
Where I am going I don't know
All I know is that I'am on my way

Offline TwoShadows

Well I guess that explains why they can release them at face value! I have been getting the Netherland silver commemoratives since the Euro was introduced but now I am a bit dismayed. If there is one bright spot they are much cheaper from a collecting friend in the Netherlands than they are from a U.S. national dealer! This does bring up another question...Are Austria's silver Euro commemoratives really silver or are they clad too? I really do like both countries technology but I am not too thrilled about clad coinage.

Terry
Knight #1

Offline Paint Your Wagon

I only know Monnaie de Paris coins in gold and silver and Austrian coins in gold . I have not the foggiest idea about their euro coins
But if you have the German ( = Austrian ) wording on the certificate I can tell you

Offline Triggersmob

• Master Collector
  • Member Knight
  • Western Australian State Flag
how are the people from the netherlands called?

If people from Poland are called Poles, why aren't peole from Holland called "Holes"?

Steve
(From Western Australia)

OFEC count 239
See my gallery here, now with over 15,000 images...
http://www.coincommunity.org/gallery/index.php?cat=10048

Offline Paint Your Wagon

how are the people from the netherlands called?

If people from Poland are called Poles, why aren't peole from Holland called "Holes"?

They are called Hollanders but that translates into Dutch god knows why .

scottishmoney

I thought they were called Nederlandsche.  I will be in Amsterdam in three weeks, I will ask what they prefer to be called.

Offline Paint Your Wagon

I thought they were called Nederlandsche.  I will be in Amsterdam in three weeks, I will ask what they prefer to be called.

It is like English do they want to be called English , Welsh, Scots, or just all Brittish ( I know the Welsh want to be called Welsh cause I visited the factories there several times every year )
The Netherlands have Nederlanders and the southeners are Hollanders and the northeners are Frieslanders
But the real hard test is where they live ; there are those Hollanders from below the Moerdijk and those Hollanders from above the Moerdijk and there is a world of distance between the two .
PM Nerderlandsche is old way of writing "from Nerderland" I think it was also the name of a shipempire

Offline TwoShadows

Goose the $5 Euro silver commemoratives are larger than a Sacagawea but smaller than a Kennedy half dollar. I would say in the neighborhood of 32mm but not sure without looking. As far as silver content well now I DO NOT KNOW but I am impressed with the design, especially with a magnifying glass to see it 3 dimensional, and the souvenir card does have the Statue of Liberty on it! Hope this answers your questions!

Terry
Knight #1

scottishmoney

It is like English do they want to be called English , Welsh, Scots, or just all Brittish ( I know the Welsh want to be called Welsh cause I visited the factories there several times every year )

Call a Scot an Anglishman is grounds for a slaughter.  An' duly so.

Offline Pocketcoins

Have a coin question about Holland. I traded for some really nice world coins and just got them today. The first thing that cought my eye is a coin almost the size of a U.S. nickel that on one side says Hollandia 1737. I wanted to ID the coin but when I went over to Don's World Coin Gallery there is no listing for Holland and also not in my World coin book. This is a really old coin and in real nice condiction so I would like to know more about it. Any idels where to start looking. I will try to get a photo.

Offline AdamL

Have a coin question about Holland. I traded for some really nice world coins and just got them today. The first thing that cought my eye is a coin almost the size of a U.S. nickel that on one side says Hollandia 1737. I wanted to ID the coin but when I went over to Don's World Coin Gallery there is no listing for Holland and also not in my World coin book. This is a really old coin and in real nice condiction so I would like to know more about it. Any idels where to start looking. I will try to get a photo.

Hollan is also called The Netherlands. It might be listed as that.

-Adam
Knight Of The Coin Table #103

Offline Triggersmob

• Master Collector
  • Member Knight
  • Western Australian State Flag
Call a Scot an Anglishman is grounds for a slaughter.  An' duly so.

I have found the same, if you call a Canadian a Yank.

Steve
(From Western Australia)

OFEC count 239
See my gallery here, now with over 15,000 images...
http://www.coincommunity.org/gallery/index.php?cat=10048

Offline Paint Your Wagon

I have been offended a 100 times by people that think that ALL of Belgium speaks French
None speak French but 45% speak Walloon which is derided by the real Frenchmen as a dead language with queer words
There is this famous words from a marachaussee which is police on horse
" Sire les Belges ça n'existe pas " which translates into Sire Belgians are non existant
And he shot a Flemish in his coffin to make sure he would stay dead .

Offline Sap

• Master Collector
  • Member Knight
  • The Numismatichemist
"Holland" is a province of the Netherlands; prior to the 1790's, each Dutch province issued it's own coinage. These provincial coinages are listed under "Netherlands" in the Krauses. Given the quoted size, your coin is probably a 2 stuivers (KM# 48), made of base-silver.

Don's database has very good coverage of 1900's coins and pretty good coverage of the 1800's, but very little coverage for 1700's and earlier. Of the dozen or more coin-issuing entities in the Low Countries, most of which issued numerous different denominations, WCG only lists one coin - a duit from Zeeland.

KoCT #21

The early bird gets the worm, sure, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline Pocketcoins

"Holland" is a province of the Netherlands; prior to the 1790's, each Dutch province issued it's own coinage. These provincial coinages are listed under "Netherlands" in the Krauses. Given the quoted size, your coin is probably a 2 stuivers (KM# 48), made of base-silver.

Don's database has very good coverage of 1900's coins and pretty good coverage of the 1800's, but very little coverage for 1700's and earlier. Of the dozen or more coin-issuing entities in the Low Countries, most of which issued numerous different denominations, WCG only lists one coin - a duit from Zeeland.
Thanks for the info Sap. Any ideal where on the internet I could go and find this coin? I don't want to pay out $60 or $70 for a 1700's world coin book when I only have maybe 4 or 6 coins dated back that fair.

Beaver

Hi,
by the way, I ordered 2 of those coins, so if someone is interested in having one....  ;D

sepp

Samuel Tan

Two shadows, I watch everybody kicking tire, not buying.
Do you still have it? If you do, I'll buy it. Please let me know.

We call them Londo. The coin duit londo.
Samuel Tan

Offline TwoShadows

Samuel Tan I most certainly do have it! I will need your mailing address to compete this transaction. Please email me at crystalk64@hotmail.com and we will make the arrangements to give this coin a new home. Thanks!

Terry
Knight #1

Samuel Tan

Two Shadows,
I thought I gave you my address and ask how to pay you.
Or do you like to exchange with The Netherlands 2 1/2 Gulden Silver 1930, 1931 or 1932, per KM XF, they are over $12,-? To me, it is almost Unc or even Unc. If that the case, KM UNC is $ 25.- each. I am not an experience grader, but I can scan for you to see.
Please let me know.
Samuel Tan

Samuel Tan

Twoshadows,
I mistakenly send this email to you.
I am responding to somebody else in other forum. I swap a lot lately, it is hard to remember correctly.
As far the 5 Euro, I will send you a check. You can cash first before you send the coin.
Please advise me your address and shipping's charge.
Again, sorry or the confusion.
Samuel Tan