Worldwide Coins & Bank Notes > Other World Coins

Chilean Pesos

(1/1)

Redlock:
On November 1, 2017, Chile's Central Bank will begin to withdraw the 1 Peso and 5 Pesos coins from circulation. Their production costs more than their value (1 Peso costs 5, 5 Pesos costs 17). The coins will remain legal tender -- for now. Cash payments will be rounded to the next lowest (payments ending 1, 2, 3, 4, 5) or next hightest (6, 7, 8, 9) 10 (e.g. 4323--->4320; 4326--->4330).
Furthermore, there have been plans for new coins -- motifs and metal composition -- of 10P, 50P, 100P and 500P entering circulation in the second half of 2017. Unfortunately, I have found nothing about these new coins. That makes me a bit suspicious because Chile's Central Bank did an extensive campaign introducing the new banknotes a few years ago. One would assume they make a similar effort for coins. So, the new coins will perhaps be coming later (2018?, 2019?).
If you have any news about new chilean coinage, please, do tell...

Sap:
It's "situation normal" for South America, I'm afraid - worse-than-average inflation, occasionally slipping into hyperinflation, has been endemic in practically every country there for at least the past 50 years.

I would assume they would hold off issuing new coin denominations until the currency stabilized a bit more.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version