May 06, 2024, 03:11:48 AM

News

Medallions   

Offline Templar

• Master Collector
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Member Knight
  • NUMISMATIST--MASTER OF TRIVIA--HISTORIAN--A.A.N.G.
NEW YEAR'S RESOLUTIONS----OR NOT
December 28, 2009, 09:31:35 PM
AS WE APPROACH 2010 --MY TOP 5 RESOLUTIONS WILL BE AS FOLLOWS:
               1.GIVE UP ICE CREAM...
               2.STOP SWEARING...
               3.GIVE UP DRINKING...
               4.NOT FIGHT WITH MY WIFE...
               5.SPEND LESS ON MY COIN COLLECTING...

OH HELL--GIVING UP ICE CREAM AND DRINKING SHOULD BE NO PROBLEM SO I WILL SAVE THOSE FOR LAST---MY WIFE IS NOT SPEAKING TO ME FOR BUYING SO MANY COINS SO THAT PRETTY MUCH TAKES CARE OF THOSE 2  RESOLUTIONS...WHAT FIVE WOULD YOU GIVE UP???

YOUR STRONG WILLED SERVANT--THE TEMPLAR

DRUID
HUMAN  RIGHTS DEFENDER
SWAGMAN/HOBO
BARD
TIME WAS INVENTED SO EVERYTHING WOULD NOT HAPPEN AT ONCE!

Yass

Re: NEW YEAR'S RESOLUTIONS----OR NOT
December 28, 2009, 11:34:04 PM
  • Spend more time at home, less at work. I've averaged 88 hours per week for the past 3 years.
  • lose some (at lot of) weight
  • keep giving thanks for my understanding wife.

Offline Paint Your Wagon

December 29, 2009, 01:40:41 AM
1) Spend more on high quality gourmet food
2) Spend more on quality gourmet food
3) Spend more on gourmet food
4) Spend more on the things I have not eaten in 10 years or more
5) Spend less on gold

My wife just got new upper and lower teeth for more then 5000 euro
so spending less on my wife may be a distant 6

Where I am going I ain't certain
Where I am going I don't know
All I know is that I'am on my way

Offline TwoShadows

December 29, 2009, 02:12:46 AM
I do believe you should have flown your wife over here to get her teeth? You would have been money ahead when she returned home. You didn't have them made of gold did you? ;D It would appear your dentists are about 4 times greedier crooks than ours are? But in the end having a beautiful wife and companion-----priceless!!!

While I don't make resolutions I could live with the following;

I pledge that I will make at least one trip per month to buy silver in 2010.
I resolve to eat any type of food I desire throughout the year.
I pledge to spend us much time as possible at the RC strip crashing expensive RC planes.
I pledge to start, and hopefully finish, my hole in the ground (hide out) in the event it will be needed sooner than I expected.
I pledge to remain a loving and loyal father and husband even when I get the feeling they all would like for me to move to the hole in the ground when its finished!

Terry
Knight #1

"Life's a Lemon, I want my money back!" (Meatloaf)

Offline Paint Your Wagon

December 29, 2009, 02:37:04 AM
I compaired prices with an american friend
In the US prices are even higher
Price over here is 550 euro per porcelaine tooth
That includes a "metal" support on which porcelain teeth are fixed all measured and executed
including three fittings . The teeth are then fixed "forever" on the stumps that are left of the old teeth
Since this is a 25 year acquaintance I got a 10% discount on 10 teeth

Our welfare state only provides for plastic teeths you can put in a glass by your bedside

A surgeon wanted to implant hipbone into the cavities of the rearteeth to generate bone to build a structure
but my wife did not want to go thru surgery for upper theeth , so she opted for the free variety . Otherwise the price would have been 12 000 euro plus .And then they sey our dentists are leaving for other countries because they can earn more over there .  >:( >:( >:(
All in all it took 8 visits of 20 minutes to extract , clean , cauterize , measure, fabricate and install
I have wandered my life long why engineers are never paid like this  ???

Offline ElleKitty

• Master Collector
  • Member Knight
  • KOTCT #67. Collecting bits and bobs for 35 years.
December 29, 2009, 03:15:41 AM

That includes a "metal" support on which porcelain teeth are fixed....

I know exactly what you mean.  Here in the States, "Implants"  are not looked upon very favourably by the Insurance companies.  I've got very good insurance, as fillings cost me a few dollars, a crown in porcelain would run about 250, but the implants they want to do  in the back are costing me over $1000 each. Thank goodness I only need two. >< 

Anyway! New Years Resolutions... uhm.

1. Less impulse spending.
2. Pay off more unnecessary monthly expenses to be rid of them forever. (Credit cards, accounts, etc.)
3. Put more money on the mortgage to get it gone too!
4. Plan a nice summer vacation that involves somewhere we've never been before.
5. Clean up my coin cabinet. ;)

Do add this coin to my collection?

Cat?      Australian?              US?                Really Old?
  |    |        |      |                   |    |                   |     |
Yes  No     Yes   No              Yes  No                Yes   No
  |       |     |       |                 |    |                   |     |
(YES!) (?) (Yes!) (?)           (Nope) (?)             (YES!) (?)

Goose

December 29, 2009, 03:59:57 AM
Resolutions for 2010:
Combine 2 coin collection to really know what I have (10K coins-?).
No more coin purchases (for a while) so I can purchase a new gas guzzling SUV (280 HP - 6 Sp stick = non auto transmission).
Avoid non-men drivers at all costs.
Let NO ONE leave a stop light before me!!
Sell silver when it reaches $20/oz (Aug '10 - ?)

Offline Paint Your Wagon

December 29, 2009, 05:51:13 AM

That includes a "metal" support on which porcelain teeth are fixed....

I know exactly what you mean.  Here in the States, "Implants"  are not looked upon very favourably by the Insurance companies.  I've got very good insurance, as fillings cost me a few dollars, a crown in porcelain would run about 250, but the implants they want to do  in the back are costing me over $1000 each. Thank goodness I only need two. >< 

If the teeth have been exctracted or if the roots are split and have to be removed  then the first step for backteeths is implanting hip bone and then  put a metal structue into that and then put one or more porcelaine teeth on that . The front teeth are mostly more lucky : that is from numbers 14 to 24 there is enough bone left to proceed without hipbone implant
This hipbone plus implant of metal base and top of porcelain
500 euro for the metal implant and 550 euro per tooth ( I do not know what the bone implant costs)
Normally if all teeths are gone you need 8 implants plus 10 teeth at least )

However if the roots are still good or you have stub of teeth you get a fixed metal base which is fixed on the stubs  with porcelain teeth build up on the metal base without them having to sink the "implant" into the roots
Anyway you only see 10 teeths when smiling and you only need the bottom teeth fixed for comfort of chewing
So comfort wise and price wise it is not wortht to have hipbone put in  and metal implants for upper teeth . You would walk like a cripple for 14 days and spend a fortune on top

Offline Paint Your Wagon

December 29, 2009, 05:59:31 AM
Resolutions for 2010:
Combine 2 coin collection to really know what I have (10K coins-?).
No more coin purchases (for a while) so I can purchase a new gas guzzling SUV (280 HP - 6 Sp stick = non auto transmission).
Avoid non-men drivers at all costs.
Let NO ONE leave a stop light before me!!
Sell silver when it reaches $20/oz (Aug '10 - ?)

Man that is a non sequitur
Any stupid youngster can buy a 1200 pound car with a three liter engine going 140 miles an hour in straight line and doing 100 km / hour in 6 seconds . Fiat makes those
My german car will do 220 per hour for 8 hours without blowing a gasket and it only uses 9 litres of gas per 100 kilometers to do so ; and the weight of 2400 pounds insures it stays on the road at that speed
( the spoilers help of course )
I never will need a SUV and I lost the intrest to be the fastest 10 years ago

Offline NoHope587

• Master Collector
  • Member Knight
  • Killer of Coins
December 29, 2009, 06:04:04 AM
I have a few some of which are carried over from last year.

1. Continue to not use credit cards unless the balance is paid in full at the end of the month.
2. Keep the promise I made my wife to get rid of the close to 700lbs of darkside coins sitting in buckets waited for whatever.
If I trade them then thats getting rid of them right?
3. only buy a coin if its silver or has a big 2 on it.
4. think about loosing some weight.

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

Offline Paint Your Wagon

December 29, 2009, 06:13:02 AM
Argh

I weigh 150 pounds and loosing weight seems inconpatible with drinking whisky
When I still worked I was 120 pounds and whipped to death

Offline Nevol

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Member Knight
  • Queensland State Flag
December 29, 2009, 07:44:18 AM
Some people have the same resolutions as I would (if I could) so here's my 5:

1. Go walking every day  7 - 10 kms (end result, weight loss)  ::)
2. STOP SWEARING...(yeah, right!)  8)
3. Organize my Coins.  ;)
4. Continue to not use credit cards unless the balance is paid in full at the end of the month.  :P
5. Let NO ONE leave a stop light before me!! (4 cyl Astra, sometimes I can do it!)  ;D  I think I surprise the other drivers, they're simply not expecting a 66 Yr old grey haired lady (figuratively speaking) to even attempt to burn them off.   :o  :o  :o

1 & 2 are probably NOT going to happen soon, 3 will happen eventually, 4 & 5 already in place.   :)

Neol~Nancy
KOTCT #46
Queensland, Australia
Life is a mystery to be lived, not a problem to be solved.

Offline Triggersmob

• Master Collector
  • Member Knight
  • Western Australian State Flag
December 29, 2009, 10:50:22 AM
I'm shocked, Nancy. I didn't take you for a HOON.

I need to lose lots of weight.
Xmas just put me over my previous heaviest weight.
I am now 119kg (262Lbs).

Steve
(From Western Australia)

OFEC count 239
See my gallery here, now with over 15,000 images...
http://www.coincommunity.org/gallery/index.php?cat=10048

Yass

December 29, 2009, 11:56:44 AM
Since this is a 25 year acquaintance I got a 10% discount on 10 teeth

He only did nine!  ;D ;D ;D  Hopefully the missing one was at the back and not the upper front. LOL

Offline Nevol

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Member Knight
  • Queensland State Flag
December 29, 2009, 12:57:16 PM
I'm shocked, Nancy. I didn't take you for a HOON. I need to lose lots of weight. Xmas just put me over my previous heaviest weight.
I am now 119kg (262Lbs).

I can't stand drivers that piddle along doing 50 in a 70 zone.  >:(  For some weird reason, there's always 2 of them traveling side by side holding up everyone else. 

In 2005, I was walking up to 10k a day, and I lost 19kg in 6 mths.  So far I've found 12 of them!  :-\ 

Neol~Nancy
KOTCT #46
Queensland, Australia
Life is a mystery to be lived, not a problem to be solved.

Goose

December 29, 2009, 01:47:22 PM
I like SUVs because I do a lot of exploring and metal detecting in the mountains in New Mexico, Montana, and Colorado. Right now there is 20" (50 cm) of snow on the ground where I live....300 miles south of Canada. A 4WD really helps in the snow and offroad. I DO go offroad a lot, not like most people who buy a SUV for prominence and when they go off road, they happened to back up onto someone's lawn. I only drive about 25K miles (40K km) a year and I love every mile. Gas milage? I don't worry about it....I want something that is fast and will go almost anywhere.

Offline Triggersmob

• Master Collector
  • Member Knight
  • Western Australian State Flag
December 29, 2009, 04:10:21 PM
I can't stand drivers that piddle along doing 50 in a 70 zone.  >:(  For some weird reason, there's always 2 of them traveling side by side holding up everyone else. 

In 2005, I was walking up to 10k a day, and I lost 19kg in 6 mths.  So far I've found 12 of them!  :-\ 

I know what you mean, it annoys me too.

About 1988 I was 118kg and someone took a side photo of me bending over the BBQ. When they showed me I was horrified. 4 months later I was 86Kg.
I'm not one for exercising, I just used the Herbalife diet. It's taken 21 years, but I have put it all back on, plus 1kg.

Steve
(From Western Australia)

OFEC count 239
See my gallery here, now with over 15,000 images...
http://www.coincommunity.org/gallery/index.php?cat=10048

Offline TwoShadows

December 30, 2009, 02:14:15 PM
Paint Your Wagon please excuse me as I thought you were talking about extraction and false teeth (the old fashioned ones). Crowns as we call them run about $900 to $1000 each over here and implants can run up to $4.000 each which in my humble opinion is legalized theft. I anticipate some dental work in the next couple of months but at my age it is a no brainer! Take the cheap way out and live with it! Again, my apologies to my Belgium friend!
Oh by the way, I just went over 160 lbs for the first time in my life. Wife and kids say I am getting a gut now that I am a blistering 164 but I know its just my muscles relaxing at my older age! ;)

Terry
Knight #1

longnine009

December 30, 2009, 02:41:49 PM
My New Year's resolution is to take up the national past time of hallucinating. In my hallucination, I'm a member of the American House of Lords. They're too afraid to let us vote on anything so they allow us to dispense "Heckling from Above."  As you probably guessed our  favorite heckle-ees are Ben Bernanke and Tim Geithner who must appear before us weekly wearing leotards and pointy shoes with bells  on them.

And so, once  the Speaker of the Balcony, Lord Mogambo Guru, finishes his beer, the heckling may begin.

"Go bake some Twinkies Tim."

"Wow-wee Ben. I bet you can do the one about the fox, the chicken and the bag of corn--all by yourself."

"Hey Tim, we wanna vomit. Sing Wind Beneath My Wings for Ben."

etc. etc. etc

"And so it goes. Or something like that."
                          Johnathan Livingston Seagull
                           Balcony Master at Arms

minky

December 30, 2009, 03:14:50 PM
HAPPY NEW YEAR to each and every one of you.
My main resolution will be to find time for my coin collecting again as have had a *#*# of a year >:(Glad to see the same suspects are still here ;D

Offline AdamL

December 30, 2009, 03:26:08 PM
1. Drink beer only rarely, and use the money I save to buy coins. (This was one of my resolutions last year and I only started to succeed in the last 2 months of the year  :D )
2. Lose some weight. I've already lost a couple pounds.
3. Stop smoking AGAIN!  :-[
4. Get more spiritual.
5. Make more of an effort to be of service to others.
6. Spoil my nephews.
7. Complete my Walking Liberty set. Pretty lofty goal there.  ;D
8. Make some progress on some other sets, and my get a coin from every country project.

-Adam
Knight Of The Coin Table #103

Tobyle

December 30, 2009, 08:43:51 PM
I've given up with the 'change my lifestyle' type resolutions - because, the more I think about them, the harder it seems to be to change anything - So, I'm settling on:

1. getting my nephew's world banknote collection sorted and filling in as many gaps as possible, and
2. trying to at least get my world coin collection to a point where I have at least 1 coin from every country (from 1900 onwards at this point)

Offline Paint Your Wagon

December 30, 2009, 11:59:04 PM
Paint Your Wagon please excuse me as I thought you were talking about extraction and false teeth (the old fashioned ones). Crowns as we call them run about $900 to $1000 each over here and implants can run up to $4.000 each which in my humble opinion is legalized theft. I anticipate some dental work in the next couple of months but at my age it is a no brainer! Take the cheap way out and live with it! Again, my apologies to my Belgium friend!
Oh by the way, I just went over 160 lbs for the first time in my life. Wife and kids say I am getting a gut now that I am a blistering 164 but I know its just my muscles relaxing at my older age! ;)

I followed a speed course
If you extract the old teeth and have removable false teeth that is like 250 euro in total here .

To do implants a surgeon has to sink between four and eight ankers in the bone ; but the bone has to be 10 milimeter thick or you penetrate the sinusoidal cave upwards . Each anker is 500 euro to sink and the counterpart ( screw in bolt ) is 500 euro too . Then each tooth will cost 550 euro and they are mounted on a titanium or other strong support
However if there is not enough bone left you need bone implanted from your hip first , at a price we did not bother too ask
So for the upper teeth she opted for an oldfashioned plaque

If some old teeths remain especially at key positions numbers 14 and 24 for the upper teeth and I do not know the numbers for the bottom teeth ; then a metal bridge can be made . The existing teeth are ground away to sharp stubs like dracula wears and then the metal bridge is fixed over all teeth and empty spaces and on top porcelain teeth are fixed at 550 euro a tooth . This is not strictly capping since that is per one tooth only and traditionally was in gold in the old days

In short however , try to keep "fixed" bottom teeth if you still plan to eat BBQ 'd meats like T bone steak
In my opinion it is totally "insane" to remove the root of a tooth if the root is not split ( as shown on an x ray ) or if the root has no infection under it . They remove the roots so they can charge you four times more afterwards .

But then again I still have all my teeth if I can count a counterfeight one .
I had a middle molar of which only the root was good . He used a cutting saw and sawed it off at gum level . He then put a superglue on the stub ( no kidding ) and put plastic layer by layer on it ; curing each layer with ultraviolet . At the end of half an hour there was a perfect new tooth in the place . Since it is 10 years ago I forgot which one it was and the difference cannot be seen except on x ray . I forgot the price but it was only "manual" labor  ::)

Offline TwoShadows

December 31, 2009, 01:28:21 AM
There is NO danger of any of our professionals over here doing anything cheap! Not going to happen. Also there is NO danger or any new "cheaper" automobiles arriving over here any time soon. The rest of the world may get them but not us! The NOT SO BIG THREE and our government have not figured out when you lower wages in most industries it pretty much eliminates those workers from buying new automobiles. Throw on a bunch of new taxes, raise the cost of everything in a normal lifestyle and elilminate any real hopes of making a profit on investments and your pretty much where the U.S. is right now. Oh, I forgot about energy costs which are highly inflated didn't I? And they still can't understand why we don't want $35,000 automobiles. Of course, we the little people need to understand those big corporate bonuses need to come from somewhere don't they. They will still be paid, even if it is perks, as a few filthy rich families continue their quest to suck the wealth right out of the world. Slavery is again upon us!

Terry
Knight #1

Offline Paint Your Wagon

December 31, 2009, 05:12:33 AM
I heard on the news that New Zealand followed by Australia were the first to enter 2010

Happy New Year you guys
I still have to wait 4 hrs and 45 minutes

Offline TwoShadows

December 31, 2009, 07:43:34 AM
Yes the Aussies get everything first but when they are all hungover we will still be celebrating. (Well those of you who still do such things.) I will be sound asleep!!!

Terry
Knight #1

Offline Paint Your Wagon

December 31, 2009, 08:37:53 AM
Well
We had our customery canadian lobster and bottle of french champagne and now
are listening to the only flemish band Clouseau

In bed by 00.30 and tomorrow scottish smoked salmon with pinot gris white wine
I like my life being "normal"  ;)

Offline TwoShadows

December 31, 2009, 03:07:46 PM
Well its only 55 minutes until a new year. It can't help but be better than the one we just went through can it? I don't have my hopes up as at this time of year I am only thinking about getting through Jan., Feb, and March. Nothing much go on other than watching the electric meter spin roung and round. Oh wait, I can't do that any more either as they replaced it with a digital readout so they can now screw us when ever they want to. There is NO checking it now!
The next three months are pretty much crappy weather and work! Where is Spring when you need it! Cabin Fever is already setting in!!! Oh the pain!

Terry
Knight #1

Offline Paint Your Wagon

January 01, 2010, 12:31:57 AM
Happy New Year

Silver and gold is going to start its stellar rise

Full spectrum niobium lights help for cabin fever ( so does good cognac )

Offline Templar

• Master Collector
  • Member Knight
  • NUMISMATIST--MASTER OF TRIVIA--HISTORIAN--A.A.N.G.
January 01, 2010, 03:53:10 AM
TAKE IT EASY TWO SHADOWS---GET HOLD OF YOURSELF--MIX UP A PITCHER OF MARTINIS--MAYBE EVEN WRITE A BOOK--YEAH THAT SHOULD MAKE TIME PASS

JUST TRYING TO HELP--YOUR FRIEND AND LUSH--THE TEMPLAR

DRUID
HUMAN  RIGHTS DEFENDER
SWAGMAN/HOBO
BARD
TIME WAS INVENTED SO EVERYTHING WOULD NOT HAPPEN AT ONCE!

Offline Paint Your Wagon

January 01, 2010, 04:45:39 AM
TAKE IT EASY TWO SHADOWS---GET HOLD OF YOURSELF--MIX UP A PITCHER OF MARTINIS--MAYBE EVEN WRITE A BOOK--YEAH THAT SHOULD MAKE TIME PASS

JUST TRYING TO HELP--YOUR FRIEND AND LUSH--THE TEMPLAR

Martinis don't do it for me ( too small glasses )
Four roses over ice and coke that is a mixture to like ( shaken , not stirred and go light on the ice and the coke )