Medallions   

Offline Erik

• Master Collector
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Member Knight
  • My happy day : date of registration July 12, 2008
Number ONE in Beijing 2008
August 12, 2008, 04:41:40 AM
What sportsman is number one for your in OH Beijing 2008 ? He/she may be great surprice or the youngest or many medals or  atractive  ....

My number one is sure :  Michal PHELPS - USA

:D  Our castle is the best coin place on the world :D

Offline ElleKitty

• Master Collector
  • Member Knight
  • KOTCT #67. Collecting bits and bobs for 35 years.
Re: Number ONE on Beijing 2008
August 12, 2008, 05:15:49 AM

Do add this coin to my collection?

Cat?      Australian?              US?                Really Old?
  |    |        |      |                   |    |                   |     |
Yes  No     Yes   No              Yes  No                Yes   No
  |       |     |       |                 |    |                   |     |
(YES!) (?) (Yes!) (?)           (Nope) (?)             (YES!) (?)

scottishmoney

August 12, 2008, 07:14:38 AM

Nino Salukvadze of Georgia, who got a bronze medal in shooting, and hugged and congratulated her Russian counterpart who got the silver.  True sportsmanship, and one of the most memorable events of the games. 

KurtS

August 12, 2008, 08:54:24 AM
That's very admirable--and what the Olympics are all about for me.  :)

Offline TwoShadows

August 16, 2008, 01:38:54 PM
I have enjoyed the overall coverage of the Olympics but have had ENOUGH beach volleyball. How in the world did that become a sport? Our media has shoved those games down our throat so enough is enough. There are many sports that get virtually NO coverage and they have to be as exciting as sand ball! I hope they can add tiddlywinks or marbles to the schedule in the next olympics for some more heavy competition and excitement. (I can see the screaming crowd now.)  And, lets not forget, competition remote controlled airplanes and helicopters. TKO and I will see you at the next olympics!!! ;D
I really do enjoy seeing the little guy (smaller countries) kick some butt in any sport. I admire the time and effort these athletes put into their quest but do wonder, years later, if it was really worth it? They give up everything to compete and, as we all know, only a few find the glory. None the less it has been a very good games thus far.

Terry
Knight #1

"Life's a Lemon, I want my money back!" (Meatloaf)

Offline CoinCrusader42

• Angel Knight
  • Member Knight
  • Founding Member
August 16, 2008, 05:15:47 PM
Regarding shooting, one American Olympian in the sport is from my hometown, and high school.

:D :D :D :D

tiddyathome

August 16, 2008, 10:13:57 PM
For me it is Sandy Lewis from the Australian softball team, number 8. Hit a great home run last night. I get daily updates from  Beijing from her as she is my cousin. Aussia Aussie Aussie.

scottishmoney

August 16, 2008, 11:19:32 PM

I really do enjoy seeing the little guy (smaller countries) kick some butt in any sport. I admire the time and effort these athletes put into their quest but do wonder, years later, if it was really worth it? They give up everything to compete and, as we all know, only a few find the glory. None the less it has been a very good games thus far.

Last night in the 1500 metres swimming a Tunisian man won, and he was an unknown.  He beat out better known competitors from Australia and Russia.  That was too cool.

Also the story of the white girl from Zimbabwe that got her countries first gold medal ever, and is now a hero in a country where it is not very popular to be white under the dicktatorship of Robert Mugabe.

Offline TwoShadows

August 17, 2008, 01:18:13 AM
I think it is great when a virtual unknown comes out of nowhere to win those medals. They go home national heros and the big boys go home wondering what in the h___ happened. Just goes to show on any given day someone, somewhere can reach down deep to find that strength and energy to do the impossible. I have cheered for the little guys throughout this Olympics and will probably do it the rest of my life. When they do win we see the real miracles of competition at its best.

Terry
Knight #1

"Life's a Lemon, I want my money back!" (Meatloaf)

KurtS

August 17, 2008, 05:56:25 AM
Our media has shoved those games down our throat so enough is enough. There are many sports that get virtually NO coverage and they have to be as exciting as sand ball!

Yeah, I wondered the same exact thing. I don't exactly consider V-ball that exciting.  Why are the women wearing bikinis? I guess the answer may be obvious, but it doesn't seem very necessary/comfortable if you have to dive for the ball in sand.  I suspect TV ratings come into play here. 

To me, the best part of the Olympics is seeing athletes overcome the odds of past defeats/setbacks, hardships, or insurmountable competition to make their own mark in athletics. That's the essence of these games--not the nationalism that becomes a inescapable subtext to many events.

So I always root for the underdog. I've been there too.  ;D

Offline AdamL

August 17, 2008, 08:12:25 AM
I watched Phelps the whole time, and it was pretty exciting. I was also impressed to see the women from Romania win the marathon. She was the second oldest in the race and took the gold easily.

-Adam
Knight Of The Coin Table #103

scottishmoney

August 17, 2008, 08:56:19 AM
Also the story of the white girl from Zimbabwe that got her countries first gold medal ever, and is now a hero in a country where it is not very popular to be white under the dicktatorship of Robert Mugabe.
She don't need to worry about Mugabe as she resides in Boulder, Colorado. She works and trains there and has taken up perminate residency, the last I heard.

I am not sure on her current residency, but she has been in Zimbabwe and stirred up quite a bit of adulation from a population that needs good news.

Offline CoinCrusader42

• Angel Knight
  • Member Knight
  • Founding Member
Re: Number ONE in Beijing 2008
August 30, 2008, 05:30:21 AM
Phelps was No. 1 for me.

However, "Lightning" Bolt was really something.  I never thought I would see someone actually slow up at the end while winning the 100.

Cejudo winning gold in wrestling was also special.  I have watched him wrestle in person, and have talked with him.  He overcame a lot to get where he is.  I hope the rest of his life goes as smoothly.

:) :) :) :)