May 02, 2024, 07:02:45 AM

News

Medallions   

Dumanyu

• Trade Count: (0)
As some of you may know, I have a passion for ancient Egypt. Well I just secured this little beauty. It is between 3200 to over 4100 years old.

In his "Forged Egyptian Antiquities," T.G. Wakeling says genuine alabaster vessels were always drilled to the bottom and usually thin walled. However, this common kohl pot type is an exception. The interior of this type is typically only a straight drilled narrow and relatively shallow shaft.

Kohl, a lead ore (usually galena), was an eyeliner used by all Egyptian woman, rich and poor. Kohl was not only used to enhance appearance, it was also believed to provide protection for the eyes.

Yass

Can you provide a picture that shows it's size relative to a known object?

Offline TwoShadows

I too have a passion for ancient Egyptian artifacts carrying the symbol of the ANKH, which is the symbol of eternal life, but finding anything a middle class man can own and hold here in the U.S. is pretty tough. Someday I will have something so I will continue to be patient. There are tons of modern remakes available that are cheap enough but I want something from the time when it was created out of belief and not for cash, if you know what I mean. On occassion I spend some time searching but for the most part I just enjoy the dream. It has been a good trip!

Your alabaster is truly something to cherish and admire. It comes from a much different time and place where everything created was REAL art and a piece of individual craftmanship. It was made by hand, built with love and pride and designed in the mind. There is not much made like that any more.

Terry
Knight #1

"Life's a Lemon, I want my money back!" (Meatloaf)

Offline AdamL

That is awesome. I'm very interested in ancient Egypt and other ancient cultures. And I hope to be able to acquire a few artifacts like that some day.

-Adam
Knight Of The Coin Table #103

Offline Nighthawk

• Master Collector
  • Member Knight
  • DELTA FORCE
Very nice piece of history you have there! Congratulations!  :)

NUMISMATIST
PHILATELIST
BIBLIOPHILE
ART LOVER
AMATEUR HISTORIAN & PHILOSOPHER
GRANDFATHER of 9
COLLECTING COINS SINCE 1971

Dumanyu

Can you provide a picture that shows it's size relative to a known object?

Yass,
   Upon it's arrival in a couple of days, I'll post up something, but below is an exact description. For anyone interested, there is a slew of artifacts up for sale at forumancientcoins.com. Some range from anywhere to $60.00 to a couple of grand. So have a look see.

height 5.6 cm (2 1/8"), body with broad shoulders tapering to short flared foot, short neck, broad disc rim, narrow drilled hole interior; two rim fragments reattached, two smaller chips in rim, it likely had a lid matching the rim in thickness and diameter but now missing;

Yass

Dumanyu,
Thanks for the details. Its definitely a talking point.  You have to wonder whether it was owned by the the lovely young cinderella or perhaps by the evil stepmother.

Just like coins, its the wonderment of who made it, owned it, where they lived and how they came by it.  Was it a present from a suitor,  or as an everyday item, or did the owner sruggle to save the money to purcahse it?