Castle Courtyard > Other Collecting Passions

My Collections

<< < (2/15) > >>

scottishmoney:
I collect just about anything I desire for whatever reason.  I have old clocks, brass fans, oil lamps etc.  If it were not for my wife and her desire for space, I would have the place cluttered like the storage room of a museum.  I also collect fine art prints, and study art with a passion nearly as fervent as numismatics.

Topher:
I guess I'm probably in the minority when I tell you I collect musical instruments.  I bought an ophicleide last year.  :)  That's just the latest in my collection.  I need more space.

RenaL:
Isn't that a bit expensive of a collection Topher?
I mean coins ok, but Musical instruments... What do you have so far?

Humpybong:
Musical instruments.....boy I thought my almost antique furniture was bad.  At least I can get rid of a piece of furniture and replace with the older piece.

As well as my coin and banknote collection our household has a few other bad habits.

We (she who must be obeyed and I) also collect ivory elephants (no longer politically correct) hand made cottages (ceramic) old ceramic potties (toilet type) and I think thats enough.

Topher:

--- Quote from: RenaL on October 04, 2007, 06:21:31 PM ---Isn't that a bit expensive of a collection Topher?
I mean coins ok, but Musical instruments... What do you have so far?

--- End quote ---

I never really though about it as being expensive, but I guess you're right.  And oddly enough, I don't collect expensive coins.  (almost all of my collection in non-precious metals).   Many of these instruments are ones that I have played, or still actively play, so the thought of considering them a collection didn't really strike me until just a few years ago.

I'm primarily a low brass player, but also grew up playing the string bass, so here's the list:

Tenor trombones (about 6 or 7, I lost track)
Rotary valve tenor trombone
Bass trombone - Edwards double independant Thayer valves
G-bass trombone
Euphonium (still want to get a double-belled euphonium one day)
Tubas - 2 (one in Eb, one in Bb)
French horns (I think I still have 2)
Mellophone - looks like a french horn, but has piston valves
Helicon - the precursor to the sousaphone
Ophicleide
Electric Bass - 5 string
Acoustic bass (not the upright kind, it's more like an acoustic guitar with only 4 strings)
Acoustic guitar
Electric guitar (can't play it worth a darn!  LOL)
Mandolin - bowl-back, or taterbug style
Soprano Ukulele
Trumpets (2 that I can remember)
Cornets - 2
Flute
8-keyed Irish (?) wooden flute
1-keyed wooden piccolo
Bb Clarinets (a half dozen or so? plus lots of extra parts)
Eb Clarinet
Bass clarinet
Alto saxophone
Baritone saxophone
English Horn
Bassoons - 2
Recorders (Sopranino, Soprano and Alto)
Accordion (80 button)
Snare drum (my sister didn't take drum lessons for long, so I "inherited" this)
Dumbek/Darbouka (whatever name you want to call it - mine is ceramic and from Egypt)
Shakers and rattles from Zimbabwe
Rosewood claves and castanets from Spain
Oud
Yarghul
Jinghu
Shakuhachi
Ocarina (Romanian)
Various flutes, transverse and endblown (Native American, Romanian, etc.)

My wish list (short term) not in any particular order:
Banjo-Uke
Double-belled Euphonium
Holton Superbone
Contrabass Trombone
Full set of wooden recorders Sopranino to Bass (Moeck or Molenhauer preferred, but not necessary)
Balalaika (my parents are in Russia right now, so I'm hoping they bring one back for me :) )
Button Accordion

Whew - I hope thats all of them.  (I've still probably missed a bunch)  I never though of taking photos of them all.  Probably not a bad idea for insurance purposes now that I think about it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version