May 02, 2024, 08:39:04 PM

News

Medallions   

Offline Kena

Thoughts on Basketball Hall of Fame Coins
July 15, 2020, 07:55:40 AM
What are people's thoughts on the Basketball Hall of Fame coins?

https://catalog.usmint.gov/coins/coin-programs/commemorative-coins/basketball-hall-of-fame/

My wife saw them and asked which ones that I am getting.  Her feelings are that I should get the dollar coins and half dollar coins in both the colour and  non-colour versions.

I am leaning towards the proof half, enhanced half, and colour half.

What do others think?

Ken

Offline Redlock

The Half Dollar coins seem to be pretty expensive for my taste. But if you like them, go for it.
You being a dedicated silver coin collector I can see why your wife's advice is to get the silver dollars, too.
Of course, you need to have all versions of a specific motif to be ''complete.''  ;)
If I see it correctly that means 20 CG/20CE/20CH for the Half Dollar with the three players.

Germany

Offline Kena

Yes, you are correct that typically, I am go for the silver option.

When 2020 US commemorative coins were announced, I was not interested in any of the coins.

I got a bit more interested in these when the details of the kid's one came out to be an enhanced one.

Then I saw the colour that they put on the half dollar and now I am much more interested.

What I don't understand is why so little colour on the silver dollar release.

Ken

Offline Oih82w8

I don't care for them, but I did get the baseball types, both dollar and half dollar.  I lost the feel for basketball once Michael Jordan retired.

oih82w8 = "oh I hate to wait"

Offline Redlock

What I don't understand is why so little colour on the silver dollar release.

Thus far, Germany has issued two coloured silver (Ag925) coins. Both have relatively little colour. Perhaps, it has something to do with the production?
Anyway, I could/should check if Canadian coloured silver coins have little or more colour. Don't have the time though.

Are these all the baseball coins the US Mint will produce, or are there coming more?

Germany

Offline Kena

These are all that I am aware that they are doing for the Basketball Hall of Fame.

The Baseball Hall of Fame was done already back in 2014.  This was the first curved coin that the US mint made.

https://www.usmint.gov/learn/coin-and-medal-programs/commemorative-coins/national-baseball-hall-of-fame

I did not get the Baseball Hall of Fame coins but one of my US coin sources will be getting me the proof, enhanced uncirculated, and colour half dollar coins.

Offline Redlock

one of my US coin sources will be getting me the proof, enhanced uncirculated, and colour half dollar coins.

So, you won't get the unc. clad Half Dollar from Denver?

By the way, I took a brief look at canadian coloured silver coins on the RCM web-site. Lot's of colour on them.

Germany

Offline Kena

Yes, that would be correct.  I am not planning on getting the unc. non-colour half from the Denver mint.