May 07, 2024, 03:04:44 AM

News

Medallions   

trout

• Trade Count: (0)
Wedding set coins
October 06, 2016, 03:03:11 PM
For a few years now I have been trying to get PCGS to attribute these coins correctly as Specimen Strikes But to No avail.
I decided to give NGC the opportunity to grade and attribute these as they had none on their population reports so I sent them 3 sets, 2007, 2008 and 2009.
I put down PL on the submission sheet as I had been advised by Walter Eigner that this is about the best I could hope for.
To my immense delight all the coins came back with a SP designation.
I have sent a further 7 sets to be graded by NGC and I should have the results for these as soon as Hurricane Mathew permits .

Offline Triggersmob

• Master Collector
  • Member Knight
  • Western Australian State Flag
Re: Wedding set coins
October 06, 2016, 09:29:44 PM
Beautiful coin Jim, and nice to see your persistence has paid off. :)

Steve
(From Western Australia)

OFEC count 239
See my gallery here, now with over 15,000 images...
http://www.coincommunity.org/gallery/index.php?cat=10048

Offline Nevol

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Member Knight
  • Queensland State Flag
October 06, 2016, 11:02:19 PM
They are lovely coins and I'm pleased that you have at last made your point about the type of strike.  ;D

Neol~Nancy
KOTCT #46
Queensland, Australia
Life is a mystery to be lived, not a problem to be solved.

Offline Humpybong

October 07, 2016, 12:02:34 AM

That is good news....shows the difference between grading companies.

Barry
Brisbane, Australia
Forum Administrator

"Experience enables you to recognise a mistake when you make it a again"

Offline Pocketcoins

October 07, 2016, 12:33:31 AM
Great looking coins.  :)  8)

trout

October 07, 2016, 02:23:21 AM
Thanks for the replies Guy's.
I think that because the coins in these sets have been the source of 99.99% of the top tier coins in the  PCGS Set Registries for the years 2002-2009 and that collectors/Dealers have been targeting these sets to achieve the grades that are impossible to get from Mint sets or any other source is why PCGS refuses to attribute these coins correctly as Specimen Strikes.
I don't believe for one second that the graders at PCGS can't distinguish between a business strike an a specimen strike, I think that it has more to do with market acceptability and some lobbying from various sources in Australia for PCGS's refusal to attribute these correctly.
NGC however got these "Right" first time and attributed them correctly and that is what I expect from a TPG which is to grade and attribute my coins accurately.
Anyway as all these Wedding Set coins are a low mintage and IMHO will at the end of the day become highly prized because of their superior strike and finish also because they are a different Decimal Set in their own right .
What surprises me is that the majority of Australian collectors are generally  unaware that these coins are a completely different coin/finish to anything else they have in their Decimal collections.

Offline Triggersmob

• Master Collector
  • Member Knight
October 07, 2016, 11:44:11 AM
I bet they are a pain to get good pics of though. :)

Steve
(From Western Australia)

OFEC count 239

trout

October 07, 2016, 12:48:35 PM
I thought that taking images of toned coins was tough until I tried to get some good pic's of these coins.
They are so reflective that I had to angle the coin to be able to get a half decent image.
The only other coins I have that are similar to the Wedding set coins are some 1970 Brit Proofs and I think the wedding set coins are more reflective than those.

Offline Triggersmob

• Master Collector
  • Member Knight
October 07, 2016, 02:47:05 PM
I thought that taking images of toned coins was tough until I tried to get some good pic's of these coins.
They are so reflective that I had to angle the coin to be able to get a half decent image.
The only other coins I have that are similar to the Wedding set coins are some 1970 Brit Proofs and I think the wedding set coins are more reflective than those.

I thought you might of had fun with those. I wouldn't stand a chance with my set up. :)

Steve
(From Western Australia)

OFEC count 239

Offline AnotherKnight

• Master Collector
  • Member Knight
  • NSW State Flag
October 08, 2016, 10:19:57 PM
Great work trout and I had the same problem trying to get a decent pic of them as they either turn out bright white or black because of them reflecting the light straight back into the lens but you've done really well, top job all round.

NSW Australia