.5000 Silver

Offline CoinCrusader42

• Angel Knight
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Member Knight
  • Founding Member
Re: Australian Florin
November 09, 2007, 01:55:47 PM
I really like the reverse.  Ninety five percent of my Australian collection is decimal coins, but many of the pre-decimal are very attractive.

:) :) :) :)

Offline CoinCrusader42

• Angel Knight
  • Member Knight
  • Founding Member
November 09, 2007, 01:57:58 PM
I'm curious.  Does the Kangaroo represent Australia, and the lion represent Great Britain?

Rusty

November 09, 2007, 03:36:40 PM
CC,
I believe so. Following is a couple of Commemorative Florins I got from Ebay. They are well above average. Cheers.

and a 1951

Offline CoinCrusader42

• Angel Knight
  • Member Knight
  • Founding Member
November 09, 2007, 03:48:43 PM
What great condition.  They look nearly perfect.

Rusty

November 09, 2007, 03:51:12 PM
They were purchased as GEM and must go pretty close to that. Cheers.

Dumanyu

November 09, 2007, 03:57:50 PM
I'm curious.  Does the Kangaroo represent Australia, and the lion represent Great Britain?

Yes, as a matter of fact, but I've heard that this coin created quite a backlash of protests from Australian's who resented the comparison.

Rusty

November 09, 2007, 04:53:05 PM
That was before my time so I would have to research it. Older fellows than me might know but.  ;D Cheers.

Offline Muckeye

• Angel Knight
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Member Knight
  • Master Collector
November 12, 2007, 11:19:39 PM
As far as I can remember it was more symbolic than a comparison.
I don't recall any backlash.
regards,

Muckeye ~ Knight #30

Dumanyu

November 13, 2007, 10:59:57 AM
This is a reply I received on my forum when I asked about the controversy...

Fred,the design of the 1954 Royal Visit Florin caused controversy,as the placement of the lion in front of the kangaroo conveyed an imperialist message.

Offline TwoShadows

November 13, 2007, 11:43:36 AM
This is probably the greatest reason we don't get real art on our coinage in the U.S.! Everything must be politically correct and we sure wouldn't want to offend anyone! It is pretty sad what the politicians and lawyers have done to the world! A very recent example would be the fact I had to have the insignia removed from the shield the Knight was holding on our wooden dollar out of fear it may offend someone? Until we come up with our own KOTCT logo I feel it is important that every effort be made to unite us, not divide us over something that may be trivial or unimportant to me but I must consider those of you on the other side of the big pond!. 

Terry
Knight #1

"Life's a Lemon, I want my money back!" (Meatloaf)

Dumanyu

November 13, 2007, 01:11:04 PM
Terry,
    What was he symbol? A cross? I think that part of the problem in this world is a lack of tolerance, by some, and too much from the other.
Example, one group objects to a symbol which, in no uncertain terms, is not intended to be objectionable. The other does away with said symbol, to appease the other group, when it should not have done. Thereby giving one group power over the other.
Sometimes we need to stand our ground. (Getting off the soapbox now).

Offline TwoShadows

November 13, 2007, 03:32:58 PM
Dumanyu I believe there are a great number of us here with the same thought process and I couldn't agree with you more but at the same time I/We have friends here from all points on the globe who live with everyday circumstances that we, here in the States, are not aware of nor understand. I guess my goal is for us to create our own united identity that we all can share without interference from governments, religion, race, cultures or boundaries and, in a sense, we have been very successful doing so. I/We use the words "safe haven" for world wide collectors and I hope we can continue to build that securtiy into this site.
If anyone could go on about a lack of tolerance in the world, it would be me, as my beliefs are far from mainstream but this is not the place for me to do so. There are others here who share my beliefs or are somewhat like me in many ways but I prefer to think of ALL of us as coin collecting friends. I have respected differences in people all my life as, quite honestly, the world would be a pretty boring place if we were all exactly the same! I do appreciate your opinion and do hope you understand my position.

Terry
Knight #1

Offline TwoShadows

November 13, 2007, 03:35:53 PM
Now I have a question concerning the change from predecimal to decimal coinage in Australia. I have often wondered how this idea was received by the people? And who and why was the decision made to do so? I know most folks are reluctant to change!

Terry
Knight #1

dustin43160

November 13, 2007, 03:53:16 PM
those are some purdy coins!!

Dumanyu

November 13, 2007, 03:58:05 PM
Terry,
    I understand 100%. I was just fantasizing about a perfect world. I certainly meant no offense to anyone, and I'd like to think that this hobby of ours can be a unifying factor, without the geopolitical junk.

As to your question, I imagine there was great resistance at first, much like the U.S. and the metric system. Although in the coin instance, common sense prevailed in the end.

Yass

November 13, 2007, 06:00:51 PM
I was 11 at the time.  I don't believe there was that much resistance to the change, although there was a little confusion e.g. 6 pennies equalled 5 cents.  I recall I was working a 'paper boy' selling the evening paper at the local hotel.  Gee, that must have been about the 6 o'clock closing time and when the ladies were relegated to the 'ladies lounge'.  Not ladieas at the bar please  :)

The paper was 4 cents, I think, because I was happy to receive a 6 pence, or 5 cent piece.  The only problems I cam across were:
  • One fellow had a handfull of 1 cent pieces, he didn't think much of thethem and asked me if I wanted the. He threw them all on the ground.  I picked them up. No problem for me. I think I made a bob out of it (1 shilling, 10 cents)
  • The other was a windfall. The cigarette machine didn't like the new 20 cent pieces for some reason.  We always pressed the reject button on the way past. Every now and again it would spit out 40 cents. I remember a drunk demanding that I hand over my loot after a few successful raids.  The barmaid sorted him out quick smart.
The change over was also very well advertised. I can still remember the jingle, "Out go the pence and in comes the cents, on the 14th of February 1966.  As in most cases of change, it is the old that have the most problems.

Offline GregK

November 13, 2007, 08:36:42 PM
I did reply to this, but the post vanished.  This Florin represents the first visit to Australian by Elizabeth II as Queen, hence the Roo and the British Lion.

With regards to the change, it is much easier to use Dollars and cents then pounds shillings and pence.  I think it was Nevol who posted a great video, on the aacoincommunity site, that told the story on the why and wherefore for the change.

Rusty:  nice coins!! 

Offline CoinCrusader42

• Angel Knight
  • Member Knight
  • Founding Member
November 18, 2007, 06:01:50 PM
I agree with Greg.

I would think the decimal system would have been looked at as much simpler, and therefore little protest.