May 06, 2024, 09:02:38 AM

News

Medallions   

Offline Merlin

2017 KOTCT 10th Anniversary Medals
February 12, 2017, 10:21:52 AM

Now that the 2016 medals have been completed, time to start planning for the 2017 10th Anniversary medal.

Any ideas?

I could use my magic and zap one up if needed.   ;D

Offline Kittlecoins

Re: 2017 KOTCT 10th Anniversary Medals
February 12, 2017, 02:28:15 PM
Many of Daniel Carr's other club medals feature renditions of already existing coins as part of the designs.  Our 2015 Glendale Coin Club medals had the Pacific Company $5 Gold coin design.  Our 2016 Glendale Coin Club medals had the 1894 California Midwinter Expo HK-245 so-called dollar design.

One of my favorite coins from history that features a Knight, and a very popular coin in numismatics, is the 1486 Austria Guldiner... often referred to as the World's first dollar sized (or crown sized) silver coin.

Here's an example of the 1953 restrike of the coin and I think the knight from the reverse side (or the entire reverse design w/ a 2017 date) could make a great medal.

Michael Kittle Rare Coins
http://www.kittlecoins.com

Offline SirStacksALot

February 12, 2017, 03:24:43 PM
Daniel mentioned that we should redo the reverse design in one of the other threads from our 2016 medals.  I think we should take his advice on that since the old die can no longer be polished for proof and sandblasted for satin. So new look for the reverse and new die has my vote.

As for the obverse, it is funny that the design that you mention has a knight on horseback.  I think it would be really cool if Daniel redid the original 2007 design with some new art, and it included 10th anniversary in the design.

Offline Humpybong

February 12, 2017, 11:34:56 PM

I agree as it is our 10th....a redo of our first medal would be great...just need to add 10th Anniversary on it

Barry
Brisbane, Australia
Forum Administrator

"Experience enables you to recognise a mistake when you make it a again"

Offline Pocketcoins

February 13, 2017, 02:24:39 AM
I would like to see us go back to something more in line with the 2007 medal also. Not meaning to hurt anyone's feelings but the 2016 just seems to be over the top in design to me. Daniel Carr done a really great job in what we wanted but to me it's just to complicated for my liking. We have had some really great looking medals over and I would not be able to tell you which one I like the best but I can tell you it's not this years. Don't get me wrong, it's a great looking medal, but when I lay all our medals out together it just don't seem to fit the rest. So I hope for out next medal we maybe go back to something simpler. Also what do you all think of maybe doing a woody again. I love them.

The following users thanked this post: Triggersmob

Offline D. Carr

February 23, 2017, 07:24:58 PM
Personally, I would like to do the 2007 design again (with some refinements).

As for personal preferences, I would say that 2008 was my favorite and 2009 was my least favorite.

Offline Triggersmob

• Master Collector
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Member Knight
  • Western Australian State Flag
February 23, 2017, 08:21:52 PM
2007, 2008 and  2009 I liked. My personal opinion is they have gone down from there.
The designs are very basic. No offense intended.

Steve
(From Western Australia)

OFEC count 239
See my gallery here, now with over 15,000 images...
http://www.coincommunity.org/gallery/index.php?cat=10048

Offline CA Collector

February 24, 2017, 05:36:02 AM
If Dan is willing, I think this design...

...would look great as an Octagon:

Offline Pocketcoins

February 25, 2017, 01:26:15 AM
I have to agree with Daniel. The 2008 Is the best looking year we have had. As for basic, I like basic.

Offline Merlin

February 25, 2017, 08:55:11 AM

I believe that our very first medallion should be the basis for our 10th Anniversary medallion.  It was such a great looking medal with a Knight on horseback.

We have many great medallions and there will be many more to come.

Offline Dwhiz

March 06, 2017, 03:45:29 AM
I have to agree with Daniel. The 2008 Is the best looking year we have had. As for basic, I like basic.
I like the octagon idea also

Offline SirStacksALot

March 06, 2017, 06:26:25 AM
The last few weeks have been pretty busy for me, so here are a few of my thoughts on the anniversary medal. 

Although I think the octogon shape would make a cool medal, it would probably add about $30 to the cost of each medal.  The prices listed in the custom minting section state an additional $5 to $20 for a planchet with a custom shape such as an octogon, and the die cost is about double the price of a standard round die.  I think these prices would make the medals to costly to make them feisable.  Daniel also recommend that we do a new reverse die this year since the old one is pretty warn, so we will need 2 dies this year.

I would like to see a redo of the 2007 medal, a knight on horseback with a castle in the background similar to the castle in the background of the 2009 medal.

Also for the reverse, I would like to bring back the idea of shields with flag designs representative of the countries of our members surrounding the main design.  Mabye shields of different shapes with different sword types next to it to represent knight surrounding a "table" similar to the original 2007 reverse.  Hopefully this reverse can be made in a way to change between proof and satin quite a few times, and be used the next several years like our last die.

Any other thoughts?

Offline Humpybong

March 06, 2017, 08:30:05 AM

Yep....I agree 100%

We need our original design reworked for our 10th Anniversary.

Lets have Daniel start now.

Barry
Brisbane, Australia
Forum Administrator

Bigpoppa

March 11, 2017, 12:58:52 PM
Not that my opinion means much as a newbie member, but 2008 was my favorite and the one I've managed too collect the most varieties of to date . Being a 10th anniversary though it probably should be something special :)

Offline Triggersmob

• Master Collector
  • Member Knight
March 11, 2017, 06:30:31 PM
Not that my opinion means much as a newbie member, but 2008 was my favorite and the one I've managed too collect the most varieties of to date . Being a 10th anniversary though it probably should be something special :)

Everyone's opinion is welcome here Bigpoppa.
I like the 2008 medal too. I have 5 different types of that one.

Steve
(From Western Australia)

OFEC count 239

voyageur

March 12, 2017, 09:26:40 AM
I favor the idea of an updated and revised 2007 design with perhaps a dual date of 2007 / 2017. Keeping the two hemisphere globes on the obverse along with the flag style reverse would also be excellent.

Offline CA Collector

April 17, 2017, 06:06:37 AM
Any news?

voyageur

April 17, 2017, 11:16:13 AM
It will undoubted be a creation worthy of Knighthood !

Offline SirStacksALot

April 17, 2017, 05:18:12 PM
I have a few things to work on before organizing this year's anniversary medal and making the spreadsheets for the order and price calculations, but we will start on it soon. 

The following users thanked this post: CA Collector

Offline Pocketcoins

April 18, 2017, 04:58:38 AM
" making the spreadsheets for the order and price calculations,".

Me Thinks SirStacsALot sure CountsALot    ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Take your time O'Buddy

Offline CA Collector

April 18, 2017, 06:21:41 AM
I have a few things to work on before organizing this year's anniversary medal and making the spreadsheets for the order and price calculations, but we will start on it soon.

Sir, thanks for the update! Really appreciate your efforts.

Offline Felinfoel

April 18, 2017, 01:57:33 PM
Awesome, looking forward to it!!

- Eric

Offline Humpybong

April 18, 2017, 02:10:39 PM

I am drooling already.................. ;D

Barry
Brisbane, Australia
Forum Administrator

voyageur

April 28, 2017, 11:06:38 AM
Can we have another BIG one as well ?

Offline Triggersmob

• Master Collector
  • Member Knight
April 28, 2017, 12:44:47 PM

I wish, but Daniel said he is not making these anymore. :(

Steve
(From Western Australia)

OFEC count 239

Offline SirStacksALot

April 29, 2017, 04:37:57 PM
Those big ones were pretty sweet, but Triggersmob is right, Daniel is not making that size medals anymore.

I started an order list spreadsheet for this years medals.  Last year we had 22 types of different finishes.  Daniel asked that we cut that down this year in one of the previous threads.  We currently have 11 different types of medals on the sheet for this year (still can be changed if someone has some other ideas).  Silver, Copper, and Brass in both proof and satin are the standard medals.  For the fancy finishes, it would probably be best to have them done only  in silver, with antique, and colortone finishes.  I also left a column for Daniel to experiment with on a silver medal.  For overstrikes, I think it would be cool to do an overstrike on a 2007 silver eagle since that was the year we started, and it is the 10th anniversary.  I also left the Ike overstrike since they are easy to get a hold of for under $10 and they came out pretty cool last year.

For those who are new here, we are still nowhere near having a price for the medals, but we do need to make two dies this year since the reverse die that we have been using is worn out.  If the order numbers are similar to last year, the cost of each medal will probably go up about $7 from last year, and then go back down the next year when we reuse the reverse die.  I will start calculating the costs as I gather more information so if you can estimate what you would like to order, I will add it to the list.  They will be cheaper for all as the number ordered rises. 

Any other thoughts?

The following users thanked this post: Felinfoel

Offline Felinfoel

April 30, 2017, 05:00:37 AM
Please put me in for two of each type.

Thank you!

Offline Kena

April 30, 2017, 06:08:12 AM
A single silver proof for me.

Thanks.

Offline CA Collector

April 30, 2017, 06:58:24 AM
I'm in for one each of all things Silver -- Proof, Satin, Eagle overstrike, Ike overstrike, Antiqued, Color Toned, and DC Choice.

Thanks!

Offline SirStacksALot

April 30, 2017, 05:07:30 PM
Here is an updated list

Offline Mackinac

April 30, 2017, 10:09:50 PM
Put me down for 2 of each except the Copper Satin & Brass Satin and Ike, I'll take 3 each of those.
Thanks for putting this together!

in all trust there is a possibility of betrayal

Offline Humpybong

April 30, 2017, 11:53:15 PM

I would like 1 each of the silver satin, copper satin and the brass satin thanks.

Barry
Brisbane, Australia
Forum Administrator

voyageur

May 01, 2017, 10:47:08 AM
SirStacksALot deserves the highest accolade for his efforts..... so say we all !

I am with CA Collector...and would like place my order for one (1) of each available SILVER version, including overstrikes.

Voyageur will sleep well in the Castle Keep tonight.

Offline Usarok

• Master Collector
  • Member Knight
  • Collecting in the shadow of Pikes Peak
May 03, 2017, 02:07:40 AM
You can add my name to the list for:

Silver Proof, Silver Satin, Copper Proof, Copper Satin, Brass Proof, Brass Satin, Antiqued Silver, Color Toned Silver and DC Choice Silver

Thanks!

Offline SirStacksALot

May 03, 2017, 05:17:57 AM
Here is an updated list :)

Offline MattTheRiley

• Master Collector
  • Member Knight
  • Hello World!
May 04, 2017, 04:34:33 AM
Jim,

Put me down for 2 of everything for now.  I may get one more of each as we get a better idea of cost.

Thanks,

Matt

Hiding in Oregon, USA

MJ

May 05, 2017, 05:45:52 AM
How utterly awesome!

You can add my name also to the list please: 

2 each Silver Proof, Silver Satin, antiqued silver, color toned silver and DC Choice silver.

1 each Copper Proof, Copper Satin, Brass Proof, Brass Satin.

Thanks!

Mark

Offline D. Carr

May 05, 2017, 10:01:46 AM

I wish, but Daniel said he is not making these anymore. :(

I think I may have miscommunicated what I intended.
What I have discontinued doing is pewter strikes (I just didn't ever like the metal, although it was very soft and easy to strike).
For many designs, struck in copper or silver or similar metal, the large 63mm (2-1/2 inch) size required more striking force than my press could muster.
Pewter was soft enough that I could strike high relief 63mm medals.

However, another option is 50mm (2 inch). I can strike most designs in copper and silver at that size. But, of course, this would have the added expense of engraving 50mm dies (obverse and reverse). But if the Knights wanted 50mm medals in copper and/or silver, it could be done.

The following users thanked this post: Triggersmob, Felinfoel

Offline Drsmp

May 05, 2017, 02:13:10 PM
I would like to order two of each type in silver - except for the Ikes. If the 50mm are struck in silver I would also like two of those as well. Thanks!

Offline Ucfjag

• Member Knight
May 05, 2017, 02:16:06 PM
I am holding off on more until I have an idea of the prices, but I would definitely be interested in 2 each of the ASE and Ike overstrikes! Once the prices are known I might order more! :)

-Paul

Offline Nk1nk

May 05, 2017, 02:42:00 PM
....Uh hey, new guy here. My name is Nick and just wanted to say thanks for having me. I'll be honest I'm here for the bad a$$ medals you guys have Dan Carr make, but I'm a long time coin collector with various interests and I hope to add to the community here. Put me down for 1 each of silver and overstrikes and each finish, I believe that's 7 coins total. Depending on final cost I may make that 2 of each. I'll just show myself around, if there's any rules or etiquette to follow that I should know about just let me know. Thanks again.

Offline 78saen

May 05, 2017, 05:36:22 PM
I am also in for one each of the Silver - Proof, Satin, Eagle overstrike, Ike overstrike, Antiqued, Color Toned, and DC Choice.

Thank you!

voyageur

May 05, 2017, 07:36:10 PM
I vote to have a 50 MM (silver) version added to the list, but only if the KOTC Treasury can accommodate the endeavor. 

Offline Dwhiz

May 05, 2017, 09:51:50 PM
Put me in for
2-Silver Proof
2-2007 Silver Eagle over strike
2-40% Ike over strike
Thank You

Offline Triggersmob

• Master Collector
  • Member Knight
May 05, 2017, 10:05:57 PM
....Uh hey, new guy here. My name is Nick and just wanted to say thanks for having me. I'll be honest I'm here for the bad a$$ medals you guys have Dan Carr make,

At least your honest about it and there is no problem with that. I think there are quite a few others here that are only here for the medals too. A big welcome to you and all the others. We need more participating members here to get some action happening in the other forums too, not just this thread. 

Steve
(From Western Australia)

OFEC count 239

The following users thanked this post: Kena

Offline HʘʘT Owl

May 06, 2017, 12:44:00 AM
A few questions on these medals.

When will images be available?

When is the deadline for placing an order?

Thanks for any info,
Hoot

Offline SirStacksALot

May 06, 2017, 01:03:23 AM
Hi Hoot, glad you found our castle.  We have quite a few new members that are probably also thinking about the same questions.  Our medals and ordering is probably a lot different than most clubs.  Daniel Carr usually posts pictures and computer rendered pictures as he designs the medals.  The whole process start to finish last year was probably about 7 months from when we started figuring out orders to the time the medals we're in our hands.

Daniel has always taken the time to create great medals for us, and that is when he can fit the work in.  We don't​ rush him, and it is always worth it.  The deadline for orders will be closer to the time when the design is close to being finished, but it helps all of us if orders are placed soon since I will start calculations for medal prices from those order numbers.  The  design, sculpting, die cutting , and press setup costs will be distributed to all of the medals ordered.  You can read the posts from previous years to find out more about how the process goes.

The following users thanked this post: HʘʘT Owl

Offline HʘʘT Owl

May 06, 2017, 01:11:50 AM
Thanks for the info.

Offline SirStacksALot

May 06, 2017, 01:18:43 AM
Here is an updated order list.  We have quite a few orders already  :)  50mm 2oz silver medals have been added to the list to see if we have enough interest to have 2 more dies cut to make them.  I think they would be pretty cool, so hopefully we have enough interest to do it.  I added them to the list in proof silver, antique silver, color tone silver, and DC choice finish.  If there isnt enough interest to get the cost to a reasonable price, we will pull them from the order.  If we do make them, the price will go down for next year since we will have a 50mm reverse die made up.  Let me know if you want a 2oz 50mm silver added to your order.

Offline Pocketcoins

May 06, 2017, 01:19:38 AM
The point of the KOTCT medals was to commemorate our great forum.  Now it is just turning into a money thing.  :( It's killing the medals and will in all probability  kill the forum. Kind of like putting you home town dinner or pub in the middle of Walmart.  I don't like it a bit and have been here long enough to say so.  :(  It's so sad to see our forum turned into just a money making thing. I have always held my Knights of the Coin Table medals as my most prized of all my coins and medals. Now they are just becoming the value of silver or copper. Scrap. something to sell and make a few bucks on. So Sad. :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

The following users thanked this post: Triggersmob, Nevol, Usarok, Kena, Kittlecoins

Offline Drsmp

May 06, 2017, 02:20:47 AM
Since just about everyone is ordering 1-2 medals it looks like most are also adding to their collections rather than loading up to flip. I'd bet that many of the new members are here from the PCGS forum -which is quite active. I appreciate the opportunity to join KOCT and my medals will go into my permanent collection and eventually pass on to my two children (thus 2 of each silver).

The following users thanked this post: Kittlecoins

Offline Bigjpst

May 06, 2017, 02:55:17 AM
The point of the KOTCT medals was to commemorate our great forum.  Now it is just turning into a money thing.  :( It's killing the medals and will in all probability  kill the forum. Kind of like putting you home town dinner or pub in the middle of Walmart.  I don't like it a bit and have been here long enough to say so.  :(  It's so sad to see our forum turned into just a money making thing. I have always held my Knights of the Coin Table medals as my most prized of all my coins and medals. Now they are just becoming the value of silver or copper. Scrap. something to sell and make a few bucks on. So Sad. :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

Hello. As a new member I can understand your concern, but I think there may be another way to look at it. There are many people who had not heard of this forum until they saw the medals you produce. Because of the interest in Dan Carr items, and your medals in particular your forum will likely grow. Now this may or may not be a good thing, but I see (along with myself) several of the new people who are active on other forums. People who love the designs of Mr. Carr and who actively participate in collecting his items. Not just flippers looking to make a buck.
    My coin club the Glendale Coin Club has been having Mr. Carr produce medals for the last several years that have only been available to purchase through the club. We have had people from all over the country join our club just so that they can get the medals at issue price. We as the board have discussed this, and until somebody comes along and asks to order many multiples we have continued to enjoy the extra membership. Not only because it allows our club members locally to purchase our medals at a cheaper cost, but because it expands our reach into the numismatic community.

The following users thanked this post: Kittlecoins, Felinfoel

Offline Kena

May 06, 2017, 03:26:27 AM
Welcome aboard to all the folks and looking forward in seeing posts from you in other areas of the forum.

Since another club was mentioned, I went to have a look.  Noticed that the club charges a membership fee to join while here it is free.

So I would encourage new folks looking to buy a medal or two, also make a donation.

The following users thanked this post: TKO, Usarok, MattTheRiley, Bigjpst

Offline Rich1792

May 06, 2017, 04:24:40 AM
Please put me down for 2 of each. except the IKE Thanks  :)

Offline Bigjpst

May 06, 2017, 05:48:04 AM
you can put me down for two of all the regular finish medals including the overstrikes and 2 oz

Offline SirStacksALot

May 06, 2017, 05:53:44 AM

David, I was also quite taken back by the sheer number of new members listed in the past day.  This has been a very small group ever since I joined, and it is the only place that I post anything in, as I do consider the people here my friends from around the world.  I found out about this forum by seeing some of the original Knights of the Coin Table medals, just like many of the new members.  I know some of them are just here for the medals, but I am sure some of them will find this to be a place to meet good people with similar collecting interests from around the world just as I did.  I know the KotCT medals that I have mean a lot more to me than their eBay value, and quite a few of them are already in my niece, nefiews and kids  hands.  Hopefully I will be able to turn a few of them into collectors and future members.

I think these medals are a good thing that has helped us to find a lot of new members. 

Offline Dwhiz

May 06, 2017, 06:47:32 AM
I ordered 2 of 3 types 1 set me and 1 set for my 10 year old grandson. I'm hoping he get interested in numismatics.

Offline CA Collector

May 06, 2017, 06:55:56 AM
...50mm 2oz silver medals have been added to the list to see if we have enough interest...

Please add one 2oz Silver Proof and one 2oz Silver DC Choice to my existing order. Thanks!

FYI, if you haven't seen Dan's 2oz 50mm commemorative token, I think the size & heft in-hand is very cool.

Compared with a U.S. Peace Dollar...

http://www.dc-coin.com/2008hardtimestoken536minted-2-3-1-1-2-2-2-1-1.aspx

But I'm guessing the 2oz KOTCT medals coins will be pricey. IMO well worth it.

The following users thanked this post: ZoidMeister

voyageur

May 06, 2017, 08:21:12 AM
Please add me in for 1 each of the silver 2 ounce medal versions.

Agree with CA Collector that a 50mm version of the 2017 medal would be something very special for the 10th year Anniversary. Hope there is enough interest.

As a collector of Dan's Coin Club medals, I am quite happy to have one silver medal from each KOTC issue year, EXCEPT that pesky 2008 (any donation of one will be welcome).  ;D

Offline TTM5

May 06, 2017, 11:31:17 AM
Please include me for 2 each of any silver medals for 2017. 

These are for my collection of D. Carr issues and are not for any money-making purposes.  Still have every D. Carr issue I have ever bought.  Been collecting U.S. and World coins for over 40yrs and never heard of KotCT until the name appeared on a DC medal shown on the PCGS forum.  Despite some people making money with the medals, which is okay with me, consider it a great way to attract fellow coin collectors and their contributions to the forums. 

Offline Kittlecoins

May 06, 2017, 02:09:33 PM
Haven't decided on what to order yet, but I'm sure I'll order a few.

That said, I think if there is a 50mm made, I would hope the costs of those dies be allocated exclusively to the cost of the 50mm pieces.  I would hope that a decision to make a larger piece would not make all of the other medals more expensive for those of us that may not want a larger piece.

Michael Kittle Rare Coins
http://www.kittlecoins.com

Offline Nk1nk

May 06, 2017, 05:04:28 PM

Pocketcoins,

I can see your point of view. I wasn't sure what the welcome here would be like and im certainly treading lightly. I wanted to be upfront and honest about coming here for the medals. Im sure some new guys are here as flippers but my thinking was coming here added to the coin order count and brings the price down for all and I could save a little by not buying in the aftermarket, I genuinely collect these and I'm only ordering one of each kind. I'll certainly do my best to contribute here, this place seems a little sleepy and I'm sure the added foot traffic could be a good thing. Now we just all need awesome names like Sir Humpybong and Sir StacksAlot!! Also add me for one of the 2 ouncers in silver.

Offline HʘʘT Owl

May 06, 2017, 10:38:54 PM
Welcome aboard to all the folks and looking forward in seeing posts from you in other areas of the forum.

Since another club was mentioned, I went to have a look.  Noticed that the club charges a membership fee to join while here it is free.

So I would encourage new folks looking to buy a medal or two, also make a donation.

http://membersforum.knightsofthecointable.org/index.php?action=classifieds;sa=view;id=21

Made a donation and now I'm wondering what these "notegelds" are. Do you have any photos of these, just curious? I bet they're cool.

The following users thanked this post: Kena

Offline Mackinac

May 07, 2017, 12:01:30 AM
SirStacksALot, you can add 1 each of the 50mm medals to my order.

Offline SirStacksALot

May 07, 2017, 12:06:26 AM
Haven't decided on what to order yet, but I'm sure I'll order a few.

That said, I think if there is a 50mm made, I would hope the costs of those dies be allocated exclusively to the cost of the 50mm pieces.  I would hope that a decision to make a larger piece would not make all of the other medals more expensive for those of us that may not want a larger piece.

Mike, if we do have enough interest in the 50mm medals, which seems to be the case, the cost of cutting the 50mm dies will only be spread out among the 50mm medals.  If they are made they will actually bring down the cost of the 39mm medals since they will also take on some of the design and sculpting cost.  It makes the spreadsheet calculations a lot harder to do, but that's​ how we did it in 2014, and will do it this time.

The following users thanked this post: Kittlecoins

Offline Dwhiz

May 07, 2017, 12:08:57 AM
...50mm 2oz silver medals have been added to the list to see if we have enough interest...

Please add one 2oz Silver Proof and one 2oz Silver DC Choice to my existing order. Thanks!

FYI, if you haven't seen Dan's 2oz 50mm commemorative token, I think the size & heft in-hand is very cool.

Compared with a U.S. Peace Dollar...

http://www.dc-coin.com/2008hardtimestoken536minted-2-3-1-1-2-2-2-1-1.aspx

But I'm guessing the 2oz KOTCT medals coins will be pricey. IMO well worth it.
I think the 2 oz. Peace token is one of the best Moonlight Mint tokens ever struck, so far. I even went as far as to have a clock made using the reverse.

The following users thanked this post: HʘʘT Owl

Offline SirStacksALot

May 07, 2017, 12:14:46 AM

http://membersforum.knightsofthecointable.org/index.php?action=classifieds;sa=view;id=21

Made a donation and now I'm wondering what these "notegelds" are. Do you have any photos of these, just curious? I bet they're cool.

Hoot, thanks for the donation, a friend of Barry (Humpybong) made a few different types of the notgeld a while back.  He sent some of each type to me to forward to people who donate in the US.  We also had donations from several of the other new members.  I hope to get the notgeld sent to all who donated within the next few days.  Thank you to everyone who made a donation :)

The following users thanked this post: Kena, Zoins, HʘʘT Owl

Offline HʘʘT Owl

May 07, 2017, 12:25:36 AM
I'll be sitting on the curb waiting for the mailman.... 8)

The following users thanked this post: ZoidMeister

Offline Mackinac

May 07, 2017, 12:33:15 AM
I myself am a big Daniel Carr fan. I try to collect at least one each of everything he strikes, minus the gold, can't afford it. So I understand people wanting to get the coins/medals at the cheapest price they can find.
I do hope KOTCT doesn't become infested with flippers though, those who care more about the money than the hobby; the challenge of finding/affording the coin/token/medal that one wants included in their collection.
One option is to limit the number of medals each member can purchase but perhaps we'll cross that bridge if we ever want/need to.

The following users thanked this post: SirStacksALot

voyageur

May 07, 2017, 02:20:27 AM
Excellent post and I agree with you completely. My club medal purchases are for my personal collection. If I do have any additional examples, I like to use them to trade for the ones I need. On occasion,  I do have to make that special purchase and am glad when someone has one to offer for sale. "Sometimes it bees that way." 

Offline HʘʘT Owl

May 07, 2017, 02:46:41 AM
On my order put me down for:

2 - Copper Satin 39mm
2 - Brass Satin 39mm
3 - Silver Eagle O/S
3 - Antiqued Silver 39mm
3 - Color Toned 39mm
2 - Silver Antiqued 50mm (2 oz)
2 - Color Toned 50mm (2 oz)

Thanks,
Hoot

Offline SirStacksALot

May 07, 2017, 04:46:06 AM
Here is the latest updated order list.  We should have enough orders for the large medals to have the 50mm die cut. 

voyageur

May 07, 2017, 06:00:07 AM
That is great news! I am glad 50mm silver will be available, even with any additional expense.  ;D
Now I am wondering what Dan's  8) 2017 Knightly 10th Anniversary creation will look like....  :o

Offline Nevol

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Member Knight
  • Queensland State Flag
May 07, 2017, 02:02:39 PM
As one of the original members from 2007, I'm quite happy to see all the new members. We were a diminishing group, and to have 'new blood' amongst us can only be a good thing.

A few may be planning on selling some medals, but that's life.  To me it looks like we have an influx of people who have a real passion for D.Carr's work, and that is also a good thing.

I used to organise the medal hunt each year, the last lot I did was I think 2011.  I'm a bit too long in the tooth for that now, and am also cutting back on everything I collect. The 2010 issue was a real 'special' one as it commemorated one of our founding' members, Gary Burke. who passed away in 2009. 

So, welcome to all the new members, please join in and post often, let us know any other passions you have.

I guarantee you will make some new and lasting friends here!

Neol~Nancy
KOTCT #46
Queensland, Australia
Life is a mystery to be lived, not a problem to be solved.

The following users thanked this post: Mackinac, SirStacksALot, HʘʘT Owl, TTM5, ZoidMeister

Offline Zoins

May 07, 2017, 05:44:14 PM
I had an account back in 2011 that I can't find now but I'm glad to be back again.

While I originally learned of the club through the medals (before they became super popular), I always try to post and contribute. I do think there may be more members if the posts were viewable without needing to be logged in, but perhaps as the medals become more popular, they can help grow the membership now without that being necessary.

I've always loved the medals. My favorite is the 2008 silver proof followed by the antiqued 2009 copper and then the 2007 silver satin. I do have the 2016 in silver hologram which is cool and I'm currently looking at the 63mm 2009 pewter which is massive. Like others have mentioned, I like the classic look of the 2007-2009 pieces.

This year, it might be cool to have a hologram on the classic design.

I'll take:

2x each 39mm silver proof, silver satin (4 total)
1x each 39mm copper proof, copper satin, brass proof, brass satin (4 total)
2x each 2007 eagle, Ike (4 total)
1x each 39mm silver antiqued (1 total)
2x each 39mm silver color toned, DC choice (4 total)
1x each 50mm silver proof, antiqued, color toned, choice (4 total)

The following users thanked this post: SirStacksALot

Offline Zoins

May 07, 2017, 06:01:25 PM
Many of Daniel Carr's other club medals feature renditions of already existing coins as part of the designs.  Our 2015 Glendale Coin Club medals had the Pacific Company $5 Gold coin design.  Our 2016 Glendale Coin Club medals had the 1894 California Midwinter Expo HK-245 so-called dollar design.

One of my favorite coins from history that features a Knight, and a very popular coin in numismatics, is the 1486 Austria Guldiner... often referred to as the World's first dollar sized (or crown sized) silver coin.

Here's an example of the 1953 restrike of the coin and I think the knight from the reverse side (or the entire reverse design w/ a 2017 date) could make a great medal.

I should mention that my preference is not to use the design for another coin. While many coin clubs tend to use designs from existing coins, one thing I love about KOTCT medals is their original designs.

Offline Zoins

May 07, 2017, 06:25:29 PM

Hoot, thanks for the donation, a friend of Barry (Humpybong) made a few different types of the notgeld a while back.  He sent some of each type to me to forward to people who donate in the US.  We also had donations from several of the other new members.  I hope to get the notgeld sent to all who donated within the next few days.  Thank you to everyone who made a donation :)

I just made a donation too. Very curious to see these :)

Offline Zoins

May 07, 2017, 07:47:16 PM
Another possible idea is to have 10th Anniversary gold medals. Dan strikes gold medals for some clubs and it's possible that these can bring in additional funds to the club. Just a thought.

Offline Triggersmob

• Master Collector
  • Member Knight
May 07, 2017, 08:56:14 PM
I'm currently looking at the 63mm 2009 pewter which is massive.

Have you seen one for sale? How much are they asking for it?

Steve
(From Western Australia)

OFEC count 239

Offline Zoins

May 08, 2017, 01:03:39 PM

The last one I saw on the bay sold for $85.

Offline Triggersmob

• Master Collector
  • Member Knight
May 08, 2017, 09:08:14 PM

The last one I saw on the bay sold for $85.

Thanks for the feedback.
just interesting to know what they are selling for.

Steve
(From Western Australia)

OFEC count 239

Offline SirStacksALot

May 11, 2017, 07:27:55 AM
Here is an updated order list with the changes of medal types which were made after the email conversation with Daniel Carr.  I did the the best that I could to reinterpret the posts of what everyone wanted and apply them to the list with the new medal types. I am sure some of these orders will need to be modified, so please let me know if you would like to add or take away from your order that is listed below. 

The following users thanked this post: Mackinac

voyageur

May 11, 2017, 07:56:04 AM
Voyager would like to add two (2) Loose Clad Ike Overstrikes for Castle Treasury Donation. One to keep and one to carry ! Otherwise my order list is absolutely correct ~ Thank You !

The following users thanked this post: Mackinac

Offline MattTheRiley

• Master Collector
  • Member Knight
  • Hello World!
May 11, 2017, 11:45:10 AM
Jim, put me down for 2 of each of the 50mm designs too.

~Breaks open piggy bank... :'(

Hiding in Oregon, USA

Offline MattTheRiley

• Master Collector
  • Member Knight
  • Hello World!
May 11, 2017, 11:47:25 AM
Also, can you clarify what the Loose Clad Ike Overstrike for Castle Treasury Donation means?  If I order 2 of those, will I get 2?   I may want to get a few extra.

Hiding in Oregon, USA

Offline BruceS

• Member Knight
May 11, 2017, 12:06:01 PM
Hello, is it too late to put in orders for the 2017 metals? Is there an order page? Sorry as you can see im new here and haven't had time to figure out how to navigate yet. Thanks BruceS 

voyageur

May 11, 2017, 12:51:23 PM
Hi BruceS,

You can click on the image of the "10th Anniversary Medal Order List" Attachment in SirStacksALot's post to see what is available. Then put the number of each one you want to order in your next post. Then you can look at the next list he posts to see if they are listed correctly. That should work.

Hope that helps and glad that you are here !

Offline SirStacksALot

May 11, 2017, 03:27:47 PM
Also, can you clarify what the Loose Clad Ike Overstrike for Castle Treasury Donation means?  If I order 2 of those, will I get 2?   I may want to get a few extra.

Daniel suggested that we do a clad ike overstrike rather than the 40% Silver Ike overstrike so it would would have a different look than the silver eagle.  For the $7, Daniel would supply the Ike dollar, bead blast it, and overstrike it with our anniversary dies.  Dan will bulk package them, without the signed coin flip (that is why it says loose) to keep the cost of these ones down.  This way we can send them to new members or those who donate in the regular mail with a regular envelope for a decent price.  If you order them with your other medals, they will come at the same time. The costs of the Design, Sculpting, and Die Cutting  will not be applied to these since the main reason  for these is to raise funds for the castle.  At $14 each, they will probably be the cheapest medal with half of the cost going to the castle treasury.  The other medals will still have the signed coin flip. If you order 2 you will get 2 at $14 each for a total of $28.

It should be a pretty rugged coin being clad, and should hold up well as a pocket piece.  Mabye something on hand to show a friend who might like to join the castle.

Offline CA Collector

May 11, 2017, 04:19:23 PM
Please update my order:

-- add 2 clad Ikes

-- delete antiqued 2 oz

Thanks!

Offline MattTheRiley

• Master Collector
  • Member Knight
  • Hello World!
May 11, 2017, 04:27:19 PM
Cool give me 2 more of the clad ikes.

Hiding in Oregon, USA

Offline Rich1792

May 11, 2017, 04:28:11 PM
Thanks for adding the 2 oz and bi-medal to my order . Please remove the "antiqued" medals. (4).    Unlikely any more changes( add/subtract) to my order,unless of course Dan comes up with another interesting idea for the medal.

Offline Mackinac

May 11, 2017, 10:45:12 PM
Currently I have 1 each of the 50mm. Bump me up to 2 each of the 50mm.
I hope silver prices don't go up too dramatically from where they are now.
Fingers crossed silver is in decline when we finalize this quest.  ;D

Offline SirStacksALot

May 12, 2017, 02:12:07 AM
Here is an updated list.

Offline BruceS

• Member Knight
May 12, 2017, 07:19:19 AM
Hi all,  I want to thank the membership for excepting me here. I hope to add to the discussion. I have been a long time poster over on CU and also have been collecting DC offerings for a while. Im excided to see this years offerings. That being said, see my order below.

2-silver PF, 2-silver satin, 2-ASE over-strike, 2-silver antiqued, 2-silve dbl rev.,2 each of the silver 50mm. 2 each bi-metal 50mm.

Thanks again. BruceS.

Offline HʘʘT Owl

May 12, 2017, 08:11:43 AM
Since there will be no color toned coins I'd like to change my order please, thank you.

Copper Satin - 1
Brass Satin - 1
2007 ASE O/S - 3
Antiqued Silver 39mm - 3
Double Reverse 39mm - 2
2oz Silver Proof 50mm - 1
2oz Antiqued Silver 50mm - 3

Hoot

Offline CascadeChris

May 12, 2017, 08:21:46 AM
Ditto to what BruceS said. Glad to be here too! Curious as to what this forum is all about and what I can learn and contribute. About the Carr medals, I'd be in for a couple. What is the cost structure for the various types? Thanks

Offline Nk1nk

May 12, 2017, 09:57:35 AM
My order looks good, I would like to add a silver/copper bi medal proof. Thanks again.

Offline CA Collector

May 13, 2017, 05:17:44 AM
Ditto to what BruceS said. Glad to be here too! Curious as to what this forum is all about and what I can learn and contribute. About the Carr medals, I'd be in for a couple. What is the cost structure for the various types? Thanks

To get ballpark prices, I looked at last year's Medals: http://membersforum.knightsofthecointable.org/index.php?topic=5122.0

Offline Drsmp

May 13, 2017, 07:40:51 AM
Please add one silver brass 50mm to my order . Thanks, Steve

Offline CascadeChris

May 13, 2017, 09:09:16 AM
Thanks CA collector. Prices seem reasonable if comparable. I'm mainly interested in both bi-metallics and both 2oz'ers though which could be curve balls price wise compared to last years types.

What's the payment regimen? Do we pay now or when the order goes in and how? Thanks.