May 17, 2024, 04:39:50 PM

News

Medallions   

Dumanyu

• Trade Count: (0)
Coin type question
April 08, 2008, 03:58:40 PM
While perusing my Krause catalog, I have always wondered what do ESSAIS and PIEFORTS WITH ESSAI refer to? And if you can spell phonetically, how do you pronounce the terms?
Thanks,

Offline ElleKitty

• Master Collector
  • Member Knight
  • KOTCT #67. Collecting bits and bobs for 35 years.
Re: Coin type question
April 08, 2008, 09:59:36 PM
Essai is a term used in world coin collecting to denote a pattern coin generally issued by the French-speaking nations. Unlike the usual conception of a U.S. pattern coin, Essais are often intentionally made for collectors.

A piedfort (French piédfort) is a coin of twice or more times the thickness of the normal coin. They are normally struck for presentation purposes.

I've always said/thought them as:  Ess Eye and Pee Ed Four. Probably very wrong though.  ^^

Do add this coin to my collection?

Cat?      Australian?              US?                Really Old?
  |    |        |      |                   |    |                   |     |
Yes  No     Yes   No              Yes  No                Yes   No
  |       |     |       |                 |    |                   |     |
(YES!) (?) (Yes!) (?)           (Nope) (?)             (YES!) (?)

Offline Paint Your Wagon

April 09, 2008, 03:59:35 AM
Essai is a term used in world coin collecting to denote a pattern coin generally issued by the French-speaking nations. Unlike the usual conception of a U.S. pattern coin, Essais are often intentionally made for collectors.

A piedfort (French piédfort) is a coin of twice or more times the thickness of the normal coin. They are normally struck for presentation purposes.

I've always said/thought them as:  Ess Eye and Pee Ed Four. Probably very wrong though.  ^^

I am allways confused with the Monnaie de Paris use of what should be easy terminology
Essai is a Trial like first trial to jump over 2 meters it can allso be a test  . Originally the French coins were struck on a weak metal like lead or whatever in order not to damage the dies and to get an impression of what the coin will look like . These essais are expensive cause they are really teststrikes in a metal other then the final metal and not made for collectors but for testing the diestrike .Also if 5 effigies were submitted for a coin there can be tests of all 5 and only one may make it to the final legal coin stage the other four are Essais
Pronunciation is difficult to explain Es.. sé  ( the last e being like the first e in wellness with a kind of hesitation betwee Es and sai)
For technical reasons some essais were made in double thickness Piefort 
Pronunciation Pee ay four being the right approximation
Now Monnaie de Paris made several coins that really are disguised collectors items like doing a Piefort of the 50 FF Hercules in gold with numbered certificates and then labling it a Piedfort Essai 

Where I am going I ain't certain
Where I am going I don't know
All I know is that I'am on my way

Offline Paint Your Wagon

April 09, 2008, 05:32:03 AM
I found a piefort for sale
The box and certificate will demonstrate this was made as a collectors item and not as test

http://cgi.ebay.fr/RARISSIME-50-FRANCS-OR-PIEFORT-HERCULE-1974_W0QQitemZ260228489011QQihZ016QQcategoryZ17384QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Where I am going I ain't certain
Where I am going I don't know
All I know is that I'am on my way

Dumanyu

April 09, 2008, 01:12:23 PM
Ask a question, and get an answer... very cool.

Thanks you Elle and Paint.