May 17, 2024, 08:16:14 PM

News

Medallions   

Dumanyu

• Trade Count: (0)
    The dumbest thing I've ever done where coins are concerned, is I sent a friend from my forum a 1947 Canadian Cent (Maple Leaf type), in order to complete his set. No big deal, I was happy to do it, and I asked nothing in return. After all, the coin is probably worth $0.50, if that.
    The dumb part was declaring it a coin during the shipping via the USPS. It cost me over 11 bucks to ship a fifty cent coin to Great Britain. Here after I do not ship coins, I ship "hobby materials".

Any other harmless "goofball" stories out there?

Offline CoinCrusader42

• Angel Knight
  • Member Knight
  • Founding Member
While attending college in the 1960's, I was able to go to the local bank and buy all the silver (real silver) dollars I wanted, at face value.  All were BU by the way, and mints included New Orleans and CC.

In addition, I decided I wanted a gold piece, so I spent $19.95 for a 1900 $5 gold piece, BU.

I had planned on getting several hundred dollars worth of silver dollars, and also spending another $19.95 to buy a $5 Indian.

Never did either one.

Kept about 20 of the hundreds of dollars I looked through, and never bought that Indian.

Of course that was back in the "Old Days," and I had no idea what the numismatic future held in store.

;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Paint Your Wagon

The dumbest I did was probably a few years ago when I left a gold sovereign in the orfull original mint platic bubble on my worktable
My dogs love to chew
So one of my cocker spaniels chewed on the plastic bubble
So now I have a 2005 MS64 with dogbite showing  ???
But in my opinion the coins was so badly struck and so badly packaged it does not matter much
I threw it in my to sell box in the bankvault

Where I am going I ain't certain
Where I am going I don't know
All I know is that I'am on my way

Goose

I used a pencil eraser on all of my Lincoln cents when I first started collecting....on my '09, '09 VDB, most teen S's, a '24-D, etc. They looked so nice and shiny with the eraser use. They've been replaced with other out of circulation finds.

Yass

When I got back into collecting seriously, I thought I'd have a look for a upset 2001 $1 (the Queens head is rotated anything up to 360 degrees).  They were reportedly fairly difficult, but not impossible to find.  I got $200 from the bank and found one in the first roll of $20.  How hard is this I think! Any fool can do it.  ;D

When I took all the coins back to the bank and cashed them in, I couldn't find my upset. Yep! It was safely deposited in the bank with the other 199 coins, never to be seen again.

It took me a number of months and many hundreds of dollars to find another.

Dumanyu

Oof!!! That hurt. :o

Offline AdamL

#1: I decided to search a few rolls of halves for silver. After having no luck, I decided to spend them. I went to the gas station to make a 2 dollar purchase, and hand the guy EIGHT halves! I'm a collector I should no better. But I'm just so used to using quarters. The teller was an older guy who I know pretty well, and he corrected me right away.

-Adam
Knight Of The Coin Table #103

Offline AdamL

#2: My dad had a "long lost cousin"...They had last met around the age of 5 or 6 or 7. Anyway, a few years ago, around the age of 56, they got back in contact with each other. So "cousin Jim" comes over on Thanksgiving, and sometimes Christamas. Knowing that he used to be a history teacher, I showed him some of my old coins on one of those occasions. Well, the conversation we had ended up revealing that he had been a former collector and really didn't want his coins anymore. He told me I could go down to Jefferson City (less than an hour away) check out his coins and get them for a good price. He told me about the coins, and alot of them seemed to be run of the mill proof sets and whatnot, but some were UNC morgan silver dollars and that sort of thing. He insisted that all of the silver was worth 8X face value. I tried to explain to him the numismatic or collector value, but he insisted that a peice of silver was just a peice of silver, even if it was a Carson City morgan or something like that. Again, I tried to set him straight, but he insisted he would sell me any silver coin in his collection for 8X face. I said "OK". But I didn't get around to making the short trip. Well, the nest time I saw him about 8 months later, he told me that he sold all of his coins, and the money was going to remodle his house. And he had sold it all to some guy he knew for 8X face, and was upset that silver had gone up to 10 or 12X face. Considering that he made enough money selling the coins for melt value to remodle his house, and selling to "some guy" I probably could have made him, AND myself many thousands more selling to collectors, seeing as how a CC Morgan to him was nothing more than 3/4's of an ounce of silver, no matter how har I tried to explain it to him. Wow, I think thats the longest post I"ve ever made anywhere.LOL

-Adam
Knight Of The Coin Table #103