May 17, 2024, 08:00:35 PM

News

Medallions   

Dumanyu

• Trade Count: (0)
Why are we all here?
April 07, 2008, 11:33:35 AM
    I've been doing alot of really stupid things lately, either here or on my own forum. I was looking for credit for the trades, and I (in a moment of abject stupidity) issued a request for better participation on my own forum. I was looking for a tangible reason for doing what we all do. Something to hang my hat on, and in doing so, have really compromised my principles as to the real reason we are all here. I have had a boatload of stress lately with job and family, but that doesn't excuse my behavior of late. Asking for trade credit on the silent "whatevers", is just another bad example.

I've come to realize, belatedly, that there should be no greater reward for running my forum, and being honored to be apart of KOTCT. I would like to apologize to the membership for my horrific, and dishonorable behavior, and only hope that time will allow me to regain everyones confidence again.

I was going to say that I would fall on my sword if I had one, but then remembered that I do have one, and it might hurt.

My very best wishes to you all,
Fred

Offline CoinCrusader42

• Angel Knight
  • Member Knight
  • Founding Member
Re: Why are we all here?
April 07, 2008, 01:47:58 PM
Fred, certainly you have nothing to apologise for.  I (we) respect you as a valuable member, and are very happy you are part of the group here at the castle.

I have a super family, and a few great friends.  However, I also look on KOTC as a family.

I feel that way about CCF also, due to the wonderful people who inhabit that forum.

There isn't a single person who belongs to KOTCT who I wouldn't really enjoy meeting some day.  Meanwhile, I feel very close to everyone on this forum, trust you all completely, and am proud to be a member of what has to be the greatest group of coin collecting individuals to be found anywhere!!!!

:D :D :D :D

Topher

April 07, 2008, 02:29:02 PM
    I was going to say that I would fall on my sword if I had one, but then remembered that I do have one, and it might hurt.

Nobody said you had to fall on the pointy end!  LOL  (Sorry, but your statement really cracked me up.)

As one of those people from your forum, I got your aforementioned message and was in no way offended, or even bothered by it.  We've all got "real life" things getting in the way, myself included.  A real friend will know when to listen to you, and when to let you blow off steam, and take them both in stride.  Just for the record, I don't think you've blown off any steam yet, anyway.

Chris

Tobyle

April 07, 2008, 02:46:07 PM
Fred, I don't see that you have anything to apologise for either. I certainly have a tremendous amount respect for you (and other forum members) - and that hasn't changed in the slightest by your comments.

Offline Humpybong

April 07, 2008, 03:43:22 PM

I agree with all the above comments Fred....you have nothing to apologise for.

As for the sword.....lay it on the ground first....then if you fall on it you will fall on the whole length and not the pointy end.

Barry
Brisbane, Australia
Forum Administrator

"Experience enables you to recognise a mistake when you make it a again"

Offline Nevol

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Member Knight
  • Queensland State Flag
April 07, 2008, 08:01:45 PM
Fred, We all have some 'I should have stayed in bed' days now & then, and each person deals with it in their own way.  Nobody here would have taken any offence from your post, so don't worry about it.  Life's too short.

I'll see if I can find something to post in the Pickle Barrel just for you to help cheer you up.  ;D

Neol~Nancy
KOTCT #46
Queensland, Australia
Life is a mystery to be lived, not a problem to be solved.

Offline GregK

April 07, 2008, 09:09:59 PM
Hey Mate, as Nevol said, "lifes too short"  :D

Offline ElleKitty

• Master Collector
  • Member Knight
  • KOTCT #67. Collecting bits and bobs for 35 years.
April 07, 2008, 09:49:02 PM
Definitely nothing to apologise for in the least.  So.  Your 'punishment' is to go out and have a lovely day.  :p Sounds like you need one in the near future.

Do add this coin to my collection?

Cat?      Australian?              US?                Really Old?
  |    |        |      |                   |    |                   |     |
Yes  No     Yes   No              Yes  No                Yes   No
  |       |     |       |                 |    |                   |     |
(YES!) (?) (Yes!) (?)           (Nope) (?)             (YES!) (?)

Offline Triggersmob

• Master Collector
  • Member Knight
  • Western Australian State Flag
April 07, 2008, 09:55:39 PM
What else can I say, I agree with all of the above.

Fred, you have nothing to apologise for.

Steve
(From Western Australia)

OFEC count 239
See my gallery here, now with over 15,000 images...
http://www.coincommunity.org/gallery/index.php?cat=10048

Offline Paint Your Wagon

April 07, 2008, 09:57:37 PM
You may just be suffering from the winter blues

I do and since diagnosed I bought a bright light centre which my plants love and half a dozen german full spectrum lights in the energy saving fabrication which uses 21 watts to give 100 watts light ( turns out my camera loves the 6000 Kelvin 95 factro also )
When I still got the blues I take an old movie and a bottle of Johnny Walker  .

I also prepared (joke) having the Seppuku guide ready at hand . Unfortunately my Toledo sword is heavily guilded and chromed and much to
blunt .

http://kyushu.com/gleaner/editorspick/seppuku.shtml

Where I am going I ain't certain
Where I am going I don't know
All I know is that I'am on my way

Offline TwoShadows

April 07, 2008, 11:34:29 PM
OUR coin table is round. We are all equal and have a right to submit an opinion. You did nothing wrong and there is NO lynch mob headed your way. I sometimes feel I am neglecting responsibilities to this forum but I too have a life and the last two and a half years have been tough ones. This forum has provided much more than coins to me. This has become a haven when the rest of the world seems kind of bleak. Bluntly put, we as a group, have done some amazing things that we should be very proud of and I see no reason for that to continue.
We have managed, for the most part, to keep societies ills out of our castle. And, I might add, our moderators must have the most boring job in the world today. And thats due to all the fine respectable members on this forum.
Your at our table for a reason Dumanyu and we expect you to be there for quite some time. Just don't try and move in on Old Dan's side where all the Knightesses sit! Even Merlin is wise enough to know better!!! ;D

Terry
Knight #1

"Life's a Lemon, I want my money back!" (Meatloaf)

Offline Muckeye

• Angel Knight
  • Member Knight
  • Master Collector
April 08, 2008, 12:47:22 AM
Compomised your principles, my arse!
Old dan and I reckon your just looking for sympathy to try and get on our side of the table. It wont work, the girls will see thought you.
Get you finger out, stand up straight and march, as a Knight, into the sunset.
If a double of Johnny Walker will help, then so be it.
Fred, your an asset to the forum.
regards,

Muckeye ~ Knight #30

Dumanyu

April 08, 2008, 03:00:01 PM
Thank you all for your kind words. I believe you are right. I need to get the heck out of Dodge, so next week is Orlando, FL for a little decompression. As for the other side of the table... Just one look at this vertically impaired, balding haired, leaping gnome, and the ladies will be eating out of the palm of my hand ;).

To be foretold, is to be forewarned.

Tobyle

April 08, 2008, 08:14:40 PM
Just one look at this vertically impaired, balding haired, leaping gnome, and the ladies will be eating out of the palm of my hand

Ah, maybe not quite so easy - it will also depend on what food you have on offer!  :D  :D

Offline ElleKitty

• Master Collector
  • Member Knight
April 08, 2008, 09:44:48 PM
Chocolates always work well. ;)

Offline Paint Your Wagon

April 08, 2008, 10:44:31 PM
Chocolates always work well. ;)

Well I got Belgian chocolates in white and brown and black and then pralines with soft filling and liquor filling
Pitty they travel badly or I would send you a box .

Yass

April 09, 2008, 02:45:06 PM
You did nothing wrong and there is NO lynch mob headed your way.
There is always one party pooper wanting to spoil the fun of others isn't there!  :( :o :P

Offline TKO

April 10, 2008, 07:51:16 AM
The occaisional anti-depressant works for me. They are cheaper than travel and I can sleep through a parade full of marching bands.

I'm near 50, near unemployed, bi-polar wife, a 5 and 6 year old girls.

I can bite nails into two pieces at times. Flipping a car over on its side helps too, every now and then.

All for now...

TKO

TKO™

Offline Paint Your Wagon

April 10, 2008, 09:02:09 AM
I got unemployed at 49 and a second time at 54 . I had to sue the English multinational and won .
Blissfully retired at age 60 one of the last because from now on it is 65 for man and next year for woman
I am allowed to work , if I pay the taxes,  30 days a year which I try to do for pocket money and fun

I am happy the anti works for you .20 years ago I had a steam locomotive running thru my bedroom followed by John Wayne on a horse
it was a bad trip prescribed by a neuropsychiatrist . He had to try four tricyclic antis before he found one that worked .
Oh boy it worked : I woke up with a smile for the first time in my life . Life began at 40 for me and got the best at 60  ;D

Yass

April 10, 2008, 04:34:52 PM
The occaisional anti-depressant works for me. They are cheaper than travel and I can sleep through a parade full of marching bands.
I take my 'happy pill' religously every morning.  I went a week without them and my missus simply told me I was a cranky-bum and she would recommence my weekly beating if I didn't renew the prescription immediately.  ;D

Offline AdamL

April 10, 2008, 04:59:01 PM
I can't beleive this thread turned to pills, lol. But since it did, I'm on 5 different kinds of meds, and still struggling. They tell me the meds would work better if I didn't drink at all, and I do have my beer about 3 nights a week. But I feel like I just gotta keep on living, ya know.

-Adam
Knight Of The Coin Table #103

Offline CoinCrusader42

• Angel Knight
  • Member Knight
  • Founding Member
April 10, 2008, 05:28:38 PM
I take seven pills including three for high blood pressure, and two "happy pills," namely paxil and venlafaxine.  Happy pills work pretty well in that I haven't yelled at the wife or grandkids for months.  Took a while before they really kicked in however.  Both depression and OCD are better.

It's hell to get older!

:) :) :) :)

Offline CoinCrusader42

• Angel Knight
  • Member Knight
  • Founding Member
April 10, 2008, 05:50:32 PM
I just stated it isn't pleasant to get old.  There's ups and downs.  However, if you consider yourself "getting up there," there's a bunch of good things.

So, here's a more positive slant on the topic.

Old Age, I decided, is gift. 

I am now, probably for the first time in my life, the  person I have always wanted to be.  Oh, not my body!  I sometime  despair over my  body, the wrinkles, the baggy eyes, and the sagging  butt.  And often I am taken aback by that old person that lives in my  mirror (who looks like my mother!), but I don't agonize over those things for  long.

I would never trade my amazing friends, my wonderful  life, my loving family for less gray hair or a flatter belly.  As I've  aged, I've become more kind to myself, and less critical of myself. I've  become my own friend.

I don't chide myself   for eating that extra  cookie, or for not making my bed, or for buying  that silly cement gecko  that I didn't need, but looks so avante garde on my patio.  I am entitled  to a treat, to be messy, to be   extravagant.

I   have seen too many dear friends leave  this world too soon; before they understood the great freedom that comes with  aging.

Whose business is it if I choose to read or play on  the computer until 4 AM and sleep until noon?    I will dance  with   myself to those wonderful tunes of the 60&70's, and if I,  at the same time, wish to weep over a lost love ... I will.  I will walk  the beach in a swim suit that is stretched over a bulging body, and will dive  into the waves with abandon if I choose to, despite the pitying glances from  the jet set.

They, too, will get  old.

Sure, over the years my heart has been broken.   How can your heart not break when you lose a loved  one, or when a child  suffers, or even when somebody's beloved pet gets hit by a car?  But  broken hearts are what give us strength and understanding and  compassion.  A heart never  broken is pristine and sterile and will  never know the joy of being imperfect.

I am so blessed to have lived long enough to have my  hair turning gray, and to have my youthful laughs be forever etched into   deep grooves on my face.  So many have never laughed, and so  many  have died before   their hair could turn silver.

As you get older, it is easier to be positive.   You care less about what other people think.  I don't question myself  anymore.  I've even earned the right to be wrong.

So, to answer your question, I like being old.   It has set me free.  I like the person I have become.  I am not  going to live forever, but while I am still here, I will not waste time  lamenting what could have been, or worrying about what will be.  And I  shall eat dessert every single day. (If I feel like  it)

MAY OUR FRIENDSHIP WITHIN THE KOTCT NEVER COME APART ESPECIALLY WHEN  IT'S STRAIGHT FROM THE   HEART!

MAY YOU ALWAYS HAVE A RAINBOW OF SMILES ON YOUR FACE AND IN YOUR HEART FOREVER AND EVER!

Offline Humpybong

April 10, 2008, 06:15:35 PM

Gee...if we are talking about pills I take 5 in the morning and 3 at night, I think I rattle when I walk.  Heart, blood pressure and cholesterol are my problems.  But then I am alive, have my family and friends and of coarse my coins.

That was a great post Gary.

Barry
Brisbane, Australia
Forum Administrator

Offline S.George

April 10, 2008, 08:39:52 PM

MAY OUR FRIENDSHIP WITHIN THE KOTCT NEVER COME APART ESPECIALLY WHEN  IT'S STRAIGHT FROM THE   HEART!

MAY YOU ALWAYS HAVE A RAINBOW OF SMILES ON YOUR FACE AND IN YOUR HEART FOREVER AND EVER!

:D

Dear Fred:
There is nothing wrong in your message.   I read your message and others, only today.   But after reading your both messages in the private e-mail, I wrote, I agree with you.
Sir coincrusader 42 is very correct when he said 'our friendship is straight from heart'   This applies to all good friends in the Castle.
For various reasons, persons like me may not participate very vigorously.   But the friendship is always there and nothing wrong in your message.   I never took that in that way.
George

It is by giving others, we actually receive from G

Offline Muckeye

• Angel Knight
  • Member Knight
  • Master Collector
April 10, 2008, 10:21:44 PM
Gary Burke, I salute you, (unless you copied it from a book :D)
A magnificent soliloquy, may I quote you?
I think the person in my mirror is similiar to yours.
regards,

Muckeye ~ Knight #30

Offline Paint Your Wagon

April 10, 2008, 10:46:20 PM
So, to answer your question, I like being old.   It has set me free.  I like the person I have become.  I am not  going to live forever, but while I am still here, I will not waste time  lamenting what could have been, or worrying about what will be.  And I  shall eat dessert every single day. (If I feel like  it)

Amen

I would put in the last line and I drink a real French Cognac after dinner whenever I feel like it .

Tobyle

April 10, 2008, 11:09:08 PM
 ......... and, getting older also gives us an excuse for forgetting things or getting muddled...... my excuse being, with so much info stored in the brain at this stage of life, it's gotta take longer to retrieve the info we are after; there is more chance of that info getting mixed up; and there is less storage place for new information ......... Well, that's my excuse, anyway.

Offline Triggersmob

• Master Collector
  • Member Knight
April 10, 2008, 11:56:46 PM
Gary, that is an excellent post. I'll have to remember that when I get old. (If I'm still able to remember anything).

I will be turning 50 in a few months and so far I am pill free.

Steve
(From Western Australia)

OFEC count 239

Yass

April 11, 2008, 01:26:44 AM
Gary, that is an excellent post. I'll have to remember that when I get old. (If I'm still able to remember anything).
An amusing sideline to this getting old thing......

If I'm unfortunate to contract an old age disease like Alzheimers or Parkinson's, I'd rather have the Parkinson's. Why?

I'd rather spill my beer, than forget where I put it.  :o

Offline TKO

April 11, 2008, 07:09:18 AM
Well folks....I'm happy that my "happy pill of a post" accomplished what it was intended to do.   ;D

TKO™

Offline AdamL

April 11, 2008, 08:04:19 AM

Amen

I would put in the last line and I drink a real French Cognac after dinner whenever I feel like it .

I like that addition :)

-Adam

Offline AdamL

April 11, 2008, 08:04:50 AM

If I'm unfortunate to contract an old age disease like Alzheimers or Parkinson's, I'd rather have the Parkinson's. Why?

LMAO

-Adam

Offline Humpybong

April 11, 2008, 09:02:08 AM

He he he ....good one Yas....now where did I put that beer again?

Barry
Brisbane, Australia
Forum Administrator

Offline ElleKitty

• Master Collector
  • Member Knight
April 11, 2008, 11:42:43 AM
Beer? Damn!  I forgot to get one out of the fridge. ><  My problem though, is trying to pick a flavour. We've only got ten kinds of beer in there.  It's not easy being married to a Bartender.

Dumanyu

April 11, 2008, 11:47:49 AM

That is too funny, Yass!!!

Offline Triggersmob

• Master Collector
  • Member Knight
April 11, 2008, 12:18:41 PM

I will be turning 50 in a few months and so far I am pill free.
Steve, I'm with you on this one and have no idea what medications I will be on when I get old. So far I only take a baby asperin each night. The wife thought I should be taking something and this was my concession.

Actually, I take 1/4 of an Aspirin everyday too, but I don't have to. I use it to help keep the blood thin and hopefully have less chance of a stroke or heart attack.

Steve
(From Western Australia)

OFEC count 239

Offline Muckeye

• Angel Knight
  • Member Knight
  • Master Collector
April 11, 2008, 10:31:17 PM
Good one, Yass.
regards,

Muckeye ~ Knight #30

tyjulie

April 12, 2008, 12:16:25 AM
After every Friday and Saturday i wonder where i put the beer

Offline Muckeye

• Angel Knight
  • Member Knight
  • Master Collector
April 12, 2008, 10:45:10 PM
Hey, what a marvelous lot of answers there has been in this thread.
I empathise with most of the posters, I'm 66 and a bit battered, use a few pills.

I have two standard answers to anyone who says 'G'day, how ya goin'.
One is "wish I had a problem' and the other is 'great, I'm vertical and above  ground'.
I would like to be able to claim ownership to these quips but can't, however the origins are lost in antiquity. 'Antiquity', only a wrinklie can use a word like that ;D

You young blokes enjoy your youth, boasting about our pill intake is a mild form of sport that us 'seniors' indulge in. I wont mention my intake for fear of being called a show off :-X
regards,
muckeye.

Muckeye ~ Knight #30