Medallions   

Offline Triggersmob

• Master Collector
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Member Knight
  • Western Australian State Flag
Do you like old music?
April 05, 2008, 12:59:07 AM
The radio station that I listen too, is a community radio based at a local university ans is aimed at the 45+ audience.
If you like older music, have a listen. They are now streaming on the internet.

http://www.curtinfm.com.au/listen-now.html

Feel free to send a cheerio to me. LOL

Steve
(From Western Australia)

OFEC count 239
See my gallery here, now with over 15,000 images...
http://www.coincommunity.org/gallery/index.php?cat=10048

scottishmoney

Re: Do you like old music?
April 05, 2008, 01:12:31 AM
As I listen they are playing Elvis, and he was way before my time.  But... music from that era transcends generations, and I know his music well and have CD's etc.  Even my 12 year old has Elvis on his Ipod player.

Offline AdamL

April 05, 2008, 08:51:27 AM
I listen to music coming out now, music that was made when my parents were my age, music that was made when my grandparents were my age, and even way back to classical stuff like Mozart.

-Adam
Knight Of The Coin Table #103

Offline Nevol

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Member Knight
  • Queensland State Flag
April 05, 2008, 07:53:19 PM
I LOVE old music. The majority of the c**p that's passed of as music these days is just horrible noise. But....on the other hand, I have to confess to being a Meatloaf fan, so I'm not completely 'out of touch'. I love Elvis.  I also love all the Andre Rieu concerts. That guy's music is just great!  ;) ;)

I've still got some old 78's from the 30's, 40's & 50's. Nothing to play them on mind you, but they've been through a house fire, so I cant cull them as I don't know which play & which don't.   :'( :'(

Other favourites are Perry Como, Bing Crosby, Eddie Fisher, all the singers from that era, even have some of the sheet music.  Shame I can't read any of it. It was my husband's as he studied singing when he was young & before he started smoking & ruined his voice.   :'( :'(

Neol~Nancy
KOTCT #46
Queensland, Australia
Life is a mystery to be lived, not a problem to be solved.

Offline Muckeye

• Angel Knight
  • Member Knight
  • Master Collector
April 05, 2008, 09:45:33 PM
For me:
Slim Whitman, Marty Robbins, Elvis spirituals and Harry Toranni.
regards,

Muckeye ~ Knight #30

scottishmoney

April 05, 2008, 11:00:26 PM
Here in the USA a couple of companies started having record players made again, it is curious, because a couple of years ago I was working PT in an electronics store and numerous times I had customers ask about record players, then several months later they started being sold.  Customers state that the records have a warmer sound than CD's do.  I have a couple of 78's, but I have never played them.

But some of my musical tastes goes back to Glenn Miller Orchestra, and "Swing the Mood".  Funny how music that my grandparents liked and danced to still appeals to me some 60 years later.

Offline Paint Your Wagon

April 05, 2008, 11:43:52 PM
I must have like 250 LP's in AU58 condition
I have three Meatloaf albums and of course Several Pink Floydd
A double album by Franky Lane because of the film High Noon ( Do not forsake me oh my darling on this our wedding night ....)
In art history they told us this was the first time syncronous film ever ( 10 minutes on the movie are 10 minutes on your clock )

And then of course lots of European stars like Nana Mouskouri and Edith Piaf and Mireille Mathieu and Serge Regianni and Gilber Becaud
and I have most of Neil Diamond like 10 LP's

Andre Rieu is doing nothing but stringing together operettes and waltzers from Austria and bringing them whith glamoures stars like Carmen Diaz singing Meine Lippen die kussen so heiss ( my lips kiss so very warm...)

I got 3 record players of which only one is still 100% functional but it is a 33 rpm only collector piece Linn Sondek 12 with a moving coil head Entré 1 and Janpanese spacecraft technology  Grace arm

In Germany several companies are still making belt driven recordplayers like the cheap and 20 year popular Rega Planar table .
I have a long term project either to repair my German Dual or to buy a new one .

Where I am going I ain't certain
Where I am going I don't know
All I know is that I'am on my way

longnine009

April 06, 2008, 12:39:53 AM
I like 70's and 60's music but also some of the stuff from the 80's. I think Jimmy Buffet and Enya are the only "today" artists that I listen too, and  even Buffet is from the 70's.

I'm all for free speech and artistic expression, but man some of these rappers need to just get a job or something.

The Kang's not dead. His face appeared in a cloud formation down here last week.   ;D

Offline Triggersmob

• Master Collector
  • Member Knight
  • Western Australian State Flag
April 06, 2008, 01:23:12 AM
I've still got some old 78's from the 30's, 40's & 50's. Nothing to play them on

You can buy record players now that can upload the old LP's to your computer.

Steve
(From Western Australia)

OFEC count 239
See my gallery here, now with over 15,000 images...
http://www.coincommunity.org/gallery/index.php?cat=10048

Offline Nevol

• Global Moderator
  • Member Knight
  • Queensland State Flag
April 06, 2008, 07:49:17 AM
Oh, I forgot to add that Judy Garland is one of my all time favourite singers. Mario Lanza too.  ;D ;D

Neol~Nancy
KOTCT #46
Queensland, Australia

Offline Humpybong

April 06, 2008, 10:34:48 AM

I have a record player connected to my computer and I copy songs onto my hard drive, then cut a CD from there.

Great to listen to in your car.

Barry
Brisbane, Australia
Forum Administrator

"Experience enables you to recognise a mistake when you make it a again"

Offline GregK

April 06, 2008, 09:13:10 PM
While the CD is swift and easy, one cannot beat the LP.  I always insist on a phono input on my Stereos.  One abrupt young sales person asked me why I put up with that old Crap.  My polite response was that the "old crap" represented an age of good manners, politeness, self contol, good civil awareness and just plain decency, something that his generation lacked by His attitude. I brought my Stereo from a person of my age. 

With regard to music, everything except heavy metal and heavy opera.  I enjoy light classical, big band, all easy listening from all ages, 30s/40s main stream with main likes on Country and 50 and early 60s rock and roll.   

Offline Paint Your Wagon

April 06, 2008, 09:27:48 PM
Oh, I forgot to add that Judy Garland is one of my all time favourite singers. Mario Lanza too.  ;D ;D

I did not know Mario Lanza made it outside Italy and Belgium ( we had many very nice Italian immigrants in the sixties . Those poor souls came to work in our coalmines )
Roco Granata even lived in Antwerp Belgium and often played tennis with my American boss ( Most known song Marina)

Offline Paint Your Wagon

April 06, 2008, 09:32:16 PM
With regard to music, everything except heavy metal and heavy opera.  I enjoy light classical, big band, all easy listening from all ages, 30s/40s main stream with main likes on Country and 50 and early 60s rock and roll.   

Amen
No Wagner Valkyrie for me neither

and on the heavy side I only like Child in time from Deep Purple This is a fantastic record to test out a new stereo system on an A and B comparison
For voice and positioning I use The Dubliners with Whiskey in the Jaro . The lead singers voice must stand 3 feet tall in between the two loadspeakers
Try that with a CD or a computer generated song ( never was able to do it except with vinyl and 33 rmp )

Offline Nevol

• Global Moderator
  • Member Knight
  • Queensland State Flag
April 06, 2008, 11:45:05 PM
I did not know Mario Lanza made it outside Italy and Belgium

Well....Mario Lanza was born in the USA.  His real name was Alfredo Arnold Cocozza and he was born in Philadelphia in 1921.  He moved to Italy in 1957 about a year after he was sacked by MGM. He died in 1959.

Neol~Nancy
KOTCT #46
Queensland, Australia

longnine009

Offline Paint Your Wagon

April 07, 2008, 01:46:24 AM
I did not know Mario Lanza made it outside Italy and Belgium

Well....Mario Lanza was born in the USA.  His real name was Alfredo Arnold Cocozza and he was born in Philadelphia in 1921.  He moved to Italy in 1957 about a year after he was sacked by MGM. He died in 1959.

Virtually all songs and artists are from outside Belgium when I look back on my childhood Hits
It was so bad that paralel to the top ten hits they made a Flemish top ten years ago

Lucky for me I went to look up Que Sera Sera to be totally amazed the original is from another favourite of me Doris Day

http://www.metacrawler.com/info.metac/clickit/search?r_aid=28B0B19B337F43B391F698B4494764D0&r_eop=2&r_sacop=4&r_spf=0&r_cop=main-title&r_snpp=4&r_spp=0&qqn=qM%40%2Bx.Zi&r_coid=239138&rawto=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Que_Sera,_Sera_(Whatever_Will_Be,_Will_Be)

Dumanyu

April 07, 2008, 12:29:21 PM
   My musical tastes run from one extreme to another. From Classical, instrumental movie soundtracks, to some pop. I also am a Meatloaf fan, as well as female singers (Aimee Mann of Til Tuesday, Alanis...).
   I remember well the day Elvis died. My mother's best friend showed up at the door... did I mention that at my early adolescent years I was insensitive, and didn't really like my mother's friend? She was in tears, and when I inquired, "What the H*** is wrong with you?" Her response was a tearful "Elvis died". To which my response was, "So". I literally could not understand what the heck she was crying about. Not being an Elvis fan, probably had something to do with it. It's strange, that I remember the day he died, but have no idea what day that was.

Yass

April 09, 2008, 05:35:05 PM
A new version to some old music
To the song - I will survive  ;D
SING IT GIRLS!!!

At first I was afraid, I was petrified.
When you said you had 10 inches, Lord I almost died!
But I'd spent so many years just waiting for a man that that I grew strong, and I knew that I could take you on...
But there you are, another lie,
I was ready for a Big Mac and you've brought me a French fry!
I should have known that it was bulls***t, just a sad pathetic dream
Should have known there was no Anaconda lurking in those Jeans!

Go on now - go! , Walk out the door,
Don't you promise me 10 inches, then turn up with only 4!
Weren't you a brat to think I wouldn't find you out!?
Don't you know we're only joking when we say size don't count??!!

[Chorus]

I will survive! I will survive!
Cuz as long as I have batteries,
My sex life's gonna thrive!
I will always have good sex,
With a handful of latex!
I will survive! I will survive! Hey! Hey!

It took all my self control not to laugh out loud,
When I saw your little weiner standing tall and proud!
But to hell with your ego and to hell with all your needs,
Now I'm saving all my lovin' for a cordless multispeed!

[Chorus]

I will survive! I will survive!
Cuz as long as I have batteries,
My sex life's gonna thrive!
I will always have good sex,
With a handful of latex!
I will survive! I will survive! Hey! Hey!

Offline Humpybong

April 09, 2008, 06:08:02 PM

Oh bugger..... I just realized I cannot sing!

Barry
Brisbane, Australia
Forum Administrator

"Experience enables you to recognise a mistake when you make it a again"

Offline GregK

April 09, 2008, 09:03:07 PM
 :) Sing  ;D me either.  I come from a long line of Irish descent who were well known, locally, for their musical ability.  My Grandfather (Was) and my Father (still) has the ability to play half a dozen instruments.  I got none  ???