May 17, 2024, 05:08:05 PM

News

Medallions   

edix

• Trade Count: (0)
ANA Summer Seminar - Art of Exhibiting course
March 18, 2008, 12:18:51 PM
My local club awarded me a scholarship to attend the American Numismatic Association's annual Summer Seminar. There are two different sessions each summer held on the campus of Colorado College in Colorado Springs. I've chosen to take the Art of Exhibiting course and the related Judges Certification Mini-Seminar in Session I, and I'll also be going on a floor tour of the Denver Mint before I return back home.
I'm taking those courses for a few reasons. I've previously exhibited some of my coins at the Money Show of the Southwest in Houston, but wasn't competitive enough to win a prize. Also, our last coin show had only a tiny number of exhibitors, so perhaps if I became a judge, I'd be in a position to drum up more exhibitors (although I'd have to exclude myself from entering a competitive exhibit). The course teaches students how to make a formal exhibition according to ANA rules and the students create their own exhibit by developing a theme and assembling a single case exhibit. The certification course expands on the details of ANA rules.
Exhibiting coins using a theme is a great way for collectors to share their interests with the general public. You don't have to have them locked away in safety deposit boxes all the time, for that can lead to collector loneliness. On top of that, there are often prizes in the competitions. For instance, first prizes from our show consist of vouchers good for $100 in merchandise from dealers tables at the show.
And exhibiting coins is not limited to coin shows/conventions. You may be able to locate a bank or perhaps a public library to host your exhibition in a secure manner.
Anyway, I'm excited about attending the summer seminar and I'll likely post a report about my experiences in July.

Offline Humpybong

CONGRATULATIONS Edix.....not everyone will be attending and you received a scholarship to attend as well.

Sounds like a win/win situation to me.

Barry
Brisbane, Australia
Forum Administrator

"Experience enables you to recognise a mistake when you make it a again"

Offline TwoShadows

Congratulations Edix. Wish I was going to Colorado with you but my reasons might vary a bit from yours! ;D
I actually talked with my bank a few years back trying to get them to set up a display case so that I might exhibit different coins of the world in hopes of bringing new members into the hobby. Quite honestly I think they thought I was nuts? :'(  Seems banks, at least here, don't understand the concept or value of our hobby!

Terry
Knight #1

"Life's a Lemon, I want my money back!" (Meatloaf)

edix

• Trade Count: (0)
Here's a bit about a bank exhibit that some of my fellow coin club members submitted items for last year. They are Texas Republic currency experts, so it wasn't exactly coins.
Republic of Texas collection