Offline CoinCrusader42

• Angel Knight
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Member Knight
  • Founding Member
Long Trip
March 09, 2008, 04:30:13 PM
Left Thursday.  Back today (Sunday).

888 miles, and diesel fuel is $3.50.  Plus, towed a truck for 300 miles of the trip.

I hope those who prosper because of gas and oil are pleased.

We drove to Greeley (Colorado) to see our youngest son Mitchell (Mitburke), and to take him a small truck.  Towing the truck I got 11.1 mpg.

After the visit we headed north and almost made it to OldDan's Wyoming.

After having lived in Colorado for all of my 65 years, there is one area I had never visited, and that's the north-central part of the state.  So, we passed through such great metro areas as Walden and Oak Creek.  Luckily, Walden had a restaurant, and it was open.

After driving through North Park, with snow drifts four to five feet high, we reached I-70, and eventually home.

So, this is why I have been away for a few days, and also probably explains why I won't be buying coins for a while.  It was good to see Mitchell however, and also nice to say I have now visited all parts of my state.

:) :) :) :)

Offline Snooba

• Master Collector
  • Member Knight
Re: Long Trip
March 09, 2008, 06:50:34 PM

I'm glad that you're back safe'n'sound, CoinCrusader42 - we missed you!!!

:) :) :) :) :)

Offline Humpybong

March 09, 2008, 07:14:05 PM

Glad to see you are keeping the oil companies in business.

Hope you enjoyed your trip.....did you pick up any coins.

Barry
Brisbane, Australia
Forum Administrator

"Experience enables you to recognise a mistake when you make it a again"

Offline CoinCrusader42

• Angel Knight
  • Member Knight
  • Founding Member
March 09, 2008, 07:49:12 PM
No coins, however Greeley is a fairly good sized city, and the next trip over to visit Mitch and family will include scouting out coin stores.

Offline Muckeye

• Angel Knight
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Member Knight
  • Master Collector
March 09, 2008, 10:07:05 PM
Gary, you're too generous, no wonder your kids love you.
It's probably why you're popular on the Forum too
There's not many dads who would tow a truck 400 odd miles in winter.
regards

Muckeye ~ Knight #30

Yass

March 10, 2008, 11:34:37 AM
888 miles, and diesel fuel is $3.50.  Plus, towed a truck for 300 miles of the trip.
There are 4.545 litres to your US gallon.  The Australian dollar is current .9166 against the US dollar.  We pay (or have recently paid) $1.50 per litre. The cost of our diesel (if my math is correct) equates to $6.25 per gallon.

Want to send some over here?  Note that I have spelt litres correctly LOL.

There are mitigating factors that I won't delve deeply into but:

the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) figures show a 1.3 per cent rise in wages for the three months to August (2007) with full-time adult ordinary earnings at $1,022 a week.  That equates to US $937 per week gross.

We have less than a 40 hour week (mine is 36.75) with a minimum of 4 weeks paid leave, 20 days sick leave and (generally) overtime on Saturdays and Sundays (not that I qualify as I'm in 'middle' management :( ). There are 12 public holidays in a year.  I just had one yesterday.... Canberra Day.

We have to pay for health insurance if we want a private hospital, otherwise public hospitals are free. We have a 1.75% (?) levy on our tax for a medicare levy.

I often wonder how well we are off compared to others around the workd.  Perhaps a topic for a new thread?

scottishmoney

March 10, 2008, 11:48:12 AM
Diesel here is $3.92 per gallon, bio is the same, regular gas is $3.34, and E-85 is $2.89

Offline TwoShadows

March 10, 2008, 11:50:21 AM
Well let me put it this way! I think I would be much better off in Australia!!! ;D

Terry
Knight #1

"Life's a Lemon, I want my money back!" (Meatloaf)

Goose

March 11, 2008, 03:31:16 AM
There are 3.785 liters per U S gallon.

tiddyathome

March 11, 2008, 08:41:24 AM
There are 3.785 liters per U S gallon.
That means we pay $5.68 per gallon :(

Offline GregK

March 12, 2008, 09:25:49 AM
Thats right on for the price tiddyathome, or around $6 Something for a UK gallon.  I think its $2 a litre in the UK

Offline CoinCrusader42

• Angel Knight
  • Member Knight
  • Founding Member
March 12, 2008, 05:59:15 PM
Thanks for the information OldDan.

I definitely will look up the coin stores next time we are in the Ft. Collins - Greeley area.

Mitch has a goal of earning a Phd, and would love to teach at UNC someday.  He has taught at community colleges, but would love to teach on the university level.

He currently teaches science at Greeley West.

scottishmoney

March 12, 2008, 11:17:59 PM
With petrol going so high, nearly 3.50 a gallon here, and rising, I think our trip to Tennessee this summer is becoming imperiled.  :-[