Medallions   

Offline Erik

• Master Collector
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Member Knight
  • My happy day : date of registration July 12, 2008
What is it "Numismatics" ?
July 31, 2015, 03:00:40 AM
Hallo everybody  ;D ;D ;D I have idea and I would like start this topic about numismatics. Ok, we know that numismatics is the study or collection of currency but we also know it is somethig much more for us. We try to write own words what do you think what is numismatiks. Just a few sentences how could you say that what is Numismatics. At the end we can try to choose the most beautiful definition. So let's go  :D :D :D

:D  Our castle is the best coin place on the world :D

Offline Triggersmob

• Master Collector
  • Member Knight
  • Western Australian State Flag
Re: What is it "Numismatics" ?
July 31, 2015, 12:46:11 PM
Numismatics to me, is not only the study and collection of coins, but the preservation for future generations, so they might enjoy them as much as I do. :)

Steve
(From Western Australia)

OFEC count 239
See my gallery here, now with over 15,000 images...
http://www.coincommunity.org/gallery/index.php?cat=10048

Offline Sap

• Master Collector
  • Member Knight
  • The Numismatichemist
July 31, 2015, 02:03:08 PM
There was a big debate about this in my coin club (which is called the "Queensland Numismatic Society", so the matter of definition is kind of relevant); it was before I joined, and sparked by certain members taking up meeting time with discussion about things that some other members deemed were "not numismatic". The definition which resulted from the debate was as follows:

Numismatics is the study of coins, and objects that are related to coins either by physical appearance (eg. medals), monetary function (eg. tokens and banknotes) or method of manufacture (eg. badges and seals).

It should be noted that "numismatics" and "coin collecting" are two separate, although usually overlapping, things. The primary goal of a coin collector is to collect coins; acquisition and accumulation are the main motivators. The primary goal of the numismatist, on the other hand, is discovering and recording knowledge about the coins. Many people are, of course, both. But it's entirely possible to be a "numismatist" and not actually own a single coin.

KoCT #21

The early bird gets the worm, sure, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline Eringobraugh

July 31, 2015, 07:49:25 PM
I collect only Medals and still consider myself a numismatist

"If you wish to be a success in the world, promise everything, deliver nothing."
Napoleon Bonaparte

Offline Erik

• Master Collector
  • Member Knight
  • My happy day : date of registration July 12, 2008
July 31, 2015, 08:11:24 PM
I like this definition :

Numismatics is specific personality disorder when person exchange pay money for invalid money and he is happy for it ;D ;D ;D

:D  Our castle is the best coin place on the world :D

Offline Pocketcoins

August 01, 2015, 01:39:25 AM
Numismatics is the big word you use instead of tightwad or skinflint when you going around checking you vehicle ash tray and coke machine change boxes for loss and forgetting coins.  ::) ::) ::) ;D ;D ;D

Goose

August 03, 2015, 02:47:08 PM
How about 'Numismatosis'? That is a coin collecting disease that when you're broke, your car is on its last mile, and you pet dog is going door to door in your neighborhood looking for food, you somehow find some money to buy that KEY COIN to complete that set that you've been working on for 18 years.

Offline MattTheRiley

• Master Collector
  • Member Knight
  • Hello World!
August 04, 2015, 03:41:33 AM
I love all these!  Goose, you forgot, "the wife is scowling at you from the bedroom at 1:30 in the morning asking when you are coming to bed!" ;D

Hiding in Oregon, USA