May 05, 2024, 07:12:48 AM

News

Medallions   

Offline Gluggo

I stole the wording for Zion but I liked his idea of where the Knights visit the Mint while the medallions are struck! 

Zion also posted this "  I had a quick chat with Dan regarding the "Knights Minting Day" which might be possible from Jan 17-20. How does that sound to everyone? We could all converge on the Moonlight Mint to share and be merry :)"

Well I thought I would dedicate this post for that meeting as I have just confirmed the January 17-20th Knights Minting Day.  So looks like I am flying down from Kenai, Alaska to see Dan in action and get to meet some of the other knights.  So I will also be Posting pictures from the meet.  I wonder if we could put up a web cam on those days and let it run so you guys can also watch in real time.  I don't know just an Idea. 

I commited today with a Plane reservation now looking for help on a good hotel to stay.  I am guess were headed to the Moonlight Mint!  Wooo Hooo now please dont go changing the meet dates. 

Daniel Carr - President
Designs Computed (Moonlight Mint)
Loveland, CO
80537-0486
USA

Offline Oih82w8

This event is soooo tempting...

oih82w8 = "oh I hate to wait"

Offline Zoins

This event is soooo tempting...

Do come! The more the merrier!

Offline Cheezhed

Alas I can't afford it or get time off.

Greetings and Salutations!

Offline SirStacksALot

Sounds like a great time.  I won't be able to make it, so please post a lot of pictures.  Thank you Daniel for going so far above and beyond what any other mint would do. 

Offline Gluggo

So I managed to buy on Ebay yesterday an example of what looks like this year's open house Apollo 11 example and am posting a picture with description.

Daniel Carr 2019 Moonlight Mint Open House Apollo 11 medal double struck on 1.5" copper round.

The following users thanked this post: Zoins, Kudbegud

Offline Zoins

So I managed to buy on Ebay yesterday an example of what looks like this year's open house Apollo 11 example and am posting a picture with description.

Daniel Carr 2019 Moonlight Mint Open House Apollo 11 medal double struck on 1.5" copper round.

I was watching that! Glad you picked it up!

Offline D. Carr

Yes, some are multiply-struck like that as per the request of the visitor.

The complete list of Open House tokens from 2009 onward is here:
http://www.moonlightmint.com/dc-coin_event_tokens_list.htm .

The following users thanked this post: Cheezhed

Offline Mackinac

I am considering going but I won't know until a couple days before and weather is a big factor because I would be driving from Pennsylvania to Colorado.

in all trust there is a possibility of betrayal

Offline D. Carr

I am considering going but I won't know until a couple days before and weather is a big factor because I would be driving from Pennsylvania to Colorado.

That is ok. No need to decide until later. The minting can be performed on a flexible schedule.

Offline Mackinac

Mr. Carr, I just realized no Ameros were struck this year. Has the series been discontinued?

Offline D. Carr

Mr. Carr, I just realized no Ameros were struck this year. Has the series been discontinued?

Yes, discontinued (unless there are some unforeseen official developments in that arena).
At the height of the North American Union frenzy in 2008 the mintage of the large copper Amero coin was about 1,600.
The last several years the mintage of the large copper Amero coin has been less than 100.

The following users thanked this post: Mackinac, Cheezhed

Offline SilverFan

Yes, discontinued (unless there are some unforeseen official developments in that arena).
At the height of the North American Union frenzy in 2008 the mintage of the large copper Amero coin was about 1,600.
The last several years the mintage of the large copper Amero coin has been less than 100.

Daniel: This is way off topic, but I am in favor of you minting some new versions of the 1964 Peace dollars in 2020. 

I think a Die Pair 8 1964-D version without the extra (4th) ray below ONE would be best. That variation alone would make it easily identifiable and differentiate them from the 2010 issues. I would also support a version with no "D" mint mark or a small "D" mint mark like the 1922-1927 coins.  Not as interested in counter stamped or DC mintmark or color toned versions.

Offline Gluggo

Okay its Sunday and were about less than 1 week for the gathering.  Have we narrowed the time and place of the meet?  I am starting my packing and go all the flights, cars ect all arranged and secured.  Now its up to me to do everything before flight day and get myself down to Colorado.  I am getting excited and look forward to meeting you all who are coming. 

My real name is Glen Smith from Alaska and I will be staying at the TownePlace Suites in Loveland Fort Collins.  Thank you Dan for the suggestion to stay there.  Everybody have a great day and I will be keeping this board up to date with many pictures as we go through the process. 

If anybody needs a ride for any reason you can call me 907-395-7801.  Everybody have a great weekend.

The following users thanked this post: HʘʘT Owl, Cheezhed

Offline HʘʘT Owl

Sounds like a hell of a time Gluggo. Good luck and have fun to all of y'all that are going.

Post us a bunch of photos please.

Hoot... 8)

The following users thanked this post: Kudbegud

Offline Cheezhed

If anyone can overstrike something extra for me I would very much appreciate it. Tom

Offline D. Carr

At this point the weather forecast for January 17-20 looks favorable.
No snow, dry roads, and daily temperatures of about 20 degrees (low) and 45 to 50 degrees (high).

Offline Mackinac

Unfortunately I was unable to tie up some loose ends so I will not be able to make it out to Colorado. Looking forward to seeing the pictures.

Offline Gluggo

Thank you for that weather update Dan.  I will be starting my flying adventure later this evening taking a small plane up to Anchorage.  Fly out Thursday morning giving me plenty of time to settle in.  It will be nice to escape the daily work stress of all the phone calls and emails.  I managed to hire a worthy replacement while I am gone.
Going to miss my dogs though. 
Current weather here in Alaska clear and cold temp negative -09 degrees.  Not going to miss the cold weather but I am bringing a good cold weather jacket. 

Offline Gluggo

Getting ready to board my first plane when I ran into this guy!  Glad he is on the other side of the glass!  I might of had to hurt him.  8)

The following users thanked this post: SilverFan, HʘʘT Owl, Cheezhed

Offline Gluggo

Arrived safe into Colorado after a 14 hour trip down.  Nice weather here at least for the next few hours as the weather is about to get bad with high winds.  I will be posting some pictures soon who knows maybe today!!!!

The following users thanked this post: Kudbegud, HʘʘT Owl

Offline D. Carr

The mountains will be getting a lot of snow today. But down here just below the foothills the Chinook winds will come in with some force. Those down-sloping winds are typically not very cold (the air warms up as it is compressed during the descent from the higher mountains). So it will stay mostly dry in town with a high of around 50 (but windy, of course).

Offline Gluggo

Today was melting, pouring the silver into silver bars.  Then into the sandblaster and then to the rollers where they begin their flattening process.

Offline Gluggo

After the bars are poured they get sand blasted.  Then they go into the Roller.  Probably made in the turn of the Century.  Big and heavy but a monster 5" Rollers. Sort of neat to watch Dan start to flatten and grow longer but not wider.  Then the blanks get punched.
Currently we are done for the night. 

Offline HʘʘT Owl

Thanks for the report and photos, looks like a fun time !!

The following users thanked this post: Humpybong, TKO, Jeffrey, Kudbegud, Cheezhed

Offline Gluggo

I forgot to show you the finished dies.

Offline Dwhiz

Looks like it's a winner

The following users thanked this post: Humpybong, TKO, Kena, SirStacksALot, Kudbegud, Oih82w8, HʘʘT Owl, Cheezhed, AKbeez

Offline AKbeez

• Master Collector
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Member Knight
  • Member of the Esteemed Biessel Clan, arr. 1872 USA
HEY GLUGGO !!  Dang I didn't notice you were posting elsewhere on the KOTCT site -- so didn't see your previous posts until OIH82W8 nudged me.  Glad to see some some production pics!  Sure wish I could have been there for this big event!!  Cheers, AK

50 yrs of coin collecting, minus college and early parenthood aka the "broke years".  Jack of all, master of none.  eBay seller/buyer since 2002, Top Seller status, same handle.

Offline Zoins

We finished striking all the medals today. Here are a couple of photos, one of the large die getting ready to be struck for the first time and all the medals together. Finishing and edge stamping still need to be done but it's coming along. Overall, a very impressive set!\

Thanks to Dan for hosting us, all the hard work and creativity!

Offline HʘʘT Owl

Thanks to Gluggo and Zoins for keeping us in the loop. Don't let Dan work y'all to hard.... ;) ;D

The following users thanked this post: Zoins, Cheezhed

Offline Gluggo

Okay a Big thank you to Dan for taking the time to teach me the process of coin making.  Let me tell you Dan does everything himself from design to machine set ups.  And there is alot of machinery and whats facinating in my mind is he has the warethal to figure out by himself how to fix any problems that arrise.  There are many problems that arrise in fact its almost like every step has a problem.  Dan is also a worker and he isrunning circles around me.  He is non stop moving forward. 
Also great to spend time with both Dan and Zion here.  Both very intense coin collectors.  So these pictures are some of the process Dan goes through in stamping a coin.  I never knew how complex this is.
Picture expainations;
Dans blanks, set up of the dies both lower and upper.  Alignment of the dies to strike the blanks and the debth the dies must go to make the perfect strike.  Dan will go through a few test strikes to get it right.  Tightening of the dies to the
Grebener press.  Then there are the control panels and mechanical parts of the grabner press which Dan has to know inside and out.
Some of Dans test strikes.
Very Impressive to watch I have learned so much.  I can only share some bits and pieces of w hat I have experienced I am so glad I came and traveled 14 hours to be here by plane.  Thank you Dan!   more to come

Offline Gluggo

Continuation
Now Dan is dialing in the stamping and he begins stamping all the blanks.  Dan has to review each strike to see if he has to make on the fly adjustments to the machine to continue getting the perfect strike. 
I have the press showing the unit coming down on the blank in the 2 pictures and the result in the plates.

Here is the Grabener Press along with all the control panels to run the unit.  These are the large strike finals which had their own problems as Dan started.  But he worked through it and we went till about 8 30 last night.  Quite the long night and we continue today in about 1 hour. 

I got a few more to post

The following users thanked this post: TKO, Mackinac, Kena, SirStacksALot, Zoins, Kudbegud, SilverFan, Oih82w8, HʘʘT Owl, Rich1792, Cheezhed

Offline Gluggo

So currently it is Sunday at 12:45 pm Colorado time Dan is working on the edge lettering on all the Silver medals.  Okay my Android phone should allow me to upload a JPEG picture.  My IPhone won't as it will not take Jpegs.  So here is Dan putting on the lettered edge. 
Then he went to make the brass antique and put color on the copper medals.

The following users thanked this post: TKO, Mackinac, Kena, SirStacksALot, Dwhiz, Kudbegud, SilverFan, Oih82w8, HʘʘT Owl, Rich1792, Cheezhed, AKbeez

Offline Bigjpst

Super Cool!

Offline Oih82w8

I saw mine!  (In the grouping photo that is.)  I am really looking forward to these!  Thank you for the images!  I ordered one of each...have the numbers been finalized?

Offline Gluggo

Dan is busy Holograming the 50mm Silver medals.

The following users thanked this post: Mackinac, SirStacksALot, Kudbegud, SilverFan, Oih82w8, HʘʘT Owl, Work4coins

Offline Oih82w8

Added bonus...HOLOGRAMS!  I did not know about these "extras".

The following users thanked this post: Kudbegud, HʘʘT Owl

Offline Gluggo

Continuation from Saturday not Today.
Now Dan is dialing in the stamping and he begins stamping all the blanks.  Dan has to review each strike to see if he has to make on the fly adjustments to the machine to continue getting the perfect strike.
I have the press showing the unit coming down on the blank in the picture and the result in the plates.

Here is the Grabener Press along with all the control panels to run the unit.  These are the large strike finals which had their own problems as Dan started.  I found out today that Dan decided to Holograph the 50 MM Medals.  A nice surprise for sure.  I am posting these pictures from this mornings contination.  I then went and spent all of Sunday with Dan and John.

The following users thanked this post: Mackinac, Kena, SirStacksALot, Zoins, SilverFan, Oih82w8, HʘʘT Owl, Work4coins, Cheezhed, ZoidMeister

Offline Gluggo

Here are some final pictures these should speak for themselves

The following users thanked this post: Mackinac, Kena, SirStacksALot, Zoins, Kudbegud, SilverFan, Oih82w8, HʘʘT Owl, Work4coins, ZoidMeister

Offline HʘʘT Owl

Those hologram pieces are pretty cool. That was a good choice for the Witch Medal, can't wait to see them.

The following users thanked this post: Zoins, Kudbegud, Work4coins, Cheezhed

Offline Gluggo

here is a tease Dan put a hologram on the 50mm

The following users thanked this post: SirStacksALot, Zoins, Kudbegud, SilverFan, HʘʘT Owl, Work4coins, Cheezhed, AKbeez

Offline AKbeez

• Master Collector
  • Member Knight
Were the holograms added post-striking?  How does that work?

50 yrs of coin collecting, minus college and early parenthood aka the "broke years".  Jack of all, master of none.  eBay seller/buyer since 2002, Top Seller status, same handle.

Offline Cheezhed

All have holograms?

Offline Gluggo

Best let Dan tell you the process on the hologram but only the 50 mm coins Dan can explain why as there is a reason I just don’t know the exact scientific explanation.

The following users thanked this post: Cheezhed, AKbeez

Offline AKbeez

• Master Collector
  • Member Knight
Thanks so much Gluggo for keeping us posted on this amazing opportunity. Looking forward to you, @Zoins, and others for post-processing reports!!

The following users thanked this post: Work4coins

Offline Gluggo

Well I am in a Airport in Seattle in the plane up to Anchorage.  Figure I would say in the 4 days I was there every minute from early start till late 9pm or later I was with Dan watching him make the coins/medals.  He designs them, ( a real artist ) cuts his own dies.  Pours his own bars, rolls them out, punches them with his equipment, then when he is ready he uses his Grabener press and makes his majic.   In those 4 days I learned Sooooo much that I have a new respect for what he does. I guess I never really knew much about the coin process and or just how much work is involved in making a coin.
  I have to say this is one of the most memorable trips I ever had.  Thank you to the group for allowing this, and thank you Zion for planning this.  Of course thank you Dan! 

The following users thanked this post: Felinfoel, Kudbegud, Oih82w8, HʘʘT Owl, Work4coins, ZoidMeister

Offline D. Carr

Today and tomorrow I will start getting the medals ready for shipment.
Some explanation is probably in order as to why some things came out the way they did.

The 39mm "proof-like" medals have a fair amount of "cartwheel" luster and they look somewhat like the brilliant satin version (although side-by-side the difference is apparent).
Once again I had difficulty getting the rims of the 39mm medals to strike up. That has always been an issue since 2007. I have concluded that it has to do with the design around the rim that has been used since the beginning. I think it may be time to change that for the next medal. To get the rims to strike up, the striking force required was pretty high. This caused a lot of stress on the dies and even though the 39mm dies had a full proof polish on them (in the fields), from the very first strike onward there was significant flow lines forming.

For the first time I tried a different antiquing process on the 39mm brass medals and it was successful (and easier than previous methods).

The 39mm silver medals tend to be about a gram overweight, although they are still edge-marked "ONE TROY OZ . 999 SILVER".

When rolling out the silver for the 50mm medals I made an error and went a little bit too far. So the 50mm stock was about 10% thinner than originally planned. I had considered re-melting it all and rolling it out again. But I decided to proceed with the initial rolled stock. It is probably a good thing that I did because things were at the absolute maximum thickness that I could strike and still be able to eject from the collar. Any thicker and there would have been problems making them. So the 50mm medals ended up being about 10% lighter than the 100-grams that was originally advertised (about 92 grams on average). They are still a nice heavy "chunky" medal. They are simply marked on edge "999 SILVER". To make up for the weight difference I decided to apply a holographic effect to the 50mm medals. The 2016 Merlin medals had that. Those were actually better-suited for the hologram process than the 2019 Witch medals because the 2016 Merlin medals had a sunken relief with the fields up high where they could be easily be burnished with the holographic shim (more on how that it is done below). For the 2019 Witch medals I had to do the holographic burnishing down in the open areas between the spiral arcs. The holographic treatment would not have worked so well on the 39mm medals because they are smaller and there isn't enough space between the spiral arcs.

In 2011 I first had the idea of applying a hologram to a medal. I contracted with a company that makes holograms for credit cards. I wanted holograms that were roughly 3-inches square. I did not want any specific image so I requested a generic "starburst" image which looks like a compact disc. The one-time "mastering" for that image was a bout $2,500. Then each sheet, consisting of six 3-inch square holograms was about $250 per sheet. I had initially ordered five sheets (30 holograms). As of the recent striking I had two left. I was able to apply the holographic effect to all the 50mm medals using one of my remaining two, while also utilizing some small scraps I had left over (so I now have one in-tact hologram left).

This is how the hologram works:
A steel master is created which has a highly-polished (very smooth) surface. A special laser process forms extremely small peaks and valleys on the steel surface. The distances between the peaks and valleys is similar to the wavelengths of visible light. So light waves reflected off that surface are locally cancelled or reinforced. This forms the hologram image. The steel master is what cost $2,500 in my case. The steel master is treated like a master hub - it is pressed into relatively thin sheets of polished nickel to transfer the peaks and valleys of the steel surface into the nickel surface. Now the nickel surface shows the hologram. Each 3-inch square nickel hologram is called a shim. All I have to do then is lay a shim over a medal (with the hologram side facing the medal) and rub the back of the nickel shim with a small tool so as to locally transfer the peaks and valleys of the shim onto the silver medal. It is a little more difficult than it sounds. Because the nickel is a little harder than the silver, it works (for a little while). But the shims get stretched, warped, and faded pretty quickly. With the process that I use, there is no polymer coating or anything. Some "hologram" coins out there in the market are actually just foil stickers stuck on the coin. In my process, the hologram is part of the silver surface texture. If a medal were "dipped", the hologram would not be adversely affected. However, if the medal was ever polished or cleaned abrasively, or the silver was etched by some process (such as heavy tarnish), the hologram image would generally fade or vanish. So think of my hologram process as "magic luster". Like any coin, if there is abrasion and/or wear to the surface, the mint luster in that area is gone. The same applies to the holographic effect.

The following users thanked this post: Mackinac, Kena, Zoins, Dwhiz, Kudbegud, SilverFan, Oih82w8, HʘʘT Owl, Work4coins, Cheezhed, ZoidMeister

Offline HʘʘT Owl

Big thanks to Gluggo and Zoins for the photos and reports.

Thank you Dan for the update. Can't wait to see the Antiqued Brass with the "new" process. Your antiqued pieces are some of my favorites.

Hoot

The following users thanked this post: Kudbegud, Oih82w8, Work4coins

Offline Cheezhed

Great write up Dan.

Offline Kudbegud

Thanks Dan for the details.  Just proves nothing is as easy as it my seem except in the hands of an expert.  Then the precision, though possibility tedious, is the mark of a master.

You pay for what you get but don't always get what you paid for

Offline Zoins

It was great to spend 4 days of minting with Dan and Glen. A big thanks to Dan for making our club's medals all these years and hosting us for this Knights Minting Days. Glen was a Knight's Knight with his appreciation of the knights, the medals and the minting process.

I love the variety of Knights medals made each year including metals, sizes and finishes. It was great to see how much work and thought goes in to these. Dan's expertise and experience really shows through in how easy he makes it seem with his on-the-fly observations and decisions to create a great product. I don't know of any minting shop that comes anywhere close to Dan's ability to make so many different types of medals (standard planchets, cobs, oversized planchets) and finishes (hologram, antique, color-toned). It's been a real treat having Dan make our medals year after year.

It was also a treat to see so many medals together. Some medals have a very similar look but the color toned and antique ones can vary, and sometimes vary quite a bit. I loved looking at individual color-toned medals, especially last year's, and it was a great treat to see them all together and understand the toning process and progression. I added a photo of my last look at the dies as I left the Mint. It was great to see the dies one last time and "thank" them for their service!

I hope we can do this again next year and more can attend :)

Since many of us weren't able to attend, I did get some additional items to offer to fellow Knights, including some Open House overstrikes and some of Dan's Thomas Elder pieces that haven't offered before. I was thinking of offering on the Knight's auction system and having all the profits go to the KotCT Hosting and Registration Fund. What does everyone think?

The following users thanked this post: Felinfoel, Kudbegud, Oih82w8, HʘʘT Owl, Cheezhed, AKbeez

Offline Oih82w8

Great idea Zoins!  D. Carr medals are great...and the "extras" are that much better!

Offline Kudbegud

Yes, a great idea for your extra over-strikes. I better check out the Auction.

Offline Kudbegud

Hmmmm.  It guess I'm not familiar with the Knight's auction system but will learn soon.

Offline Cheezhed

I’d like a chance at an over strike or open house piece.