Castle Courtyard > Contests & Giveaways

What is it "Numismatics" ?

(1/2) > >>

Erik:
Hallo everybody  ;D ;D ;D I have idea and I would like start this topic about numismatics. Ok, we know that numismatics is the study or collection of currency but we also know it is somethig much more for us. We try to write own words what do you think what is numismatiks. Just a few sentences how could you say that what is Numismatics. At the end we can try to choose the most beautiful definition. So let's go  :D :D :D

Triggersmob:
Numismatics to me, is not only the study and collection of coins, but the preservation for future generations, so they might enjoy them as much as I do. :)

Sap:
There was a big debate about this in my coin club (which is called the "Queensland Numismatic Society", so the matter of definition is kind of relevant); it was before I joined, and sparked by certain members taking up meeting time with discussion about things that some other members deemed were "not numismatic". The definition which resulted from the debate was as follows:

Numismatics is the study of coins, and objects that are related to coins either by physical appearance (eg. medals), monetary function (eg. tokens and banknotes) or method of manufacture (eg. badges and seals).

It should be noted that "numismatics" and "coin collecting" are two separate, although usually overlapping, things. The primary goal of a coin collector is to collect coins; acquisition and accumulation are the main motivators. The primary goal of the numismatist, on the other hand, is discovering and recording knowledge about the coins. Many people are, of course, both. But it's entirely possible to be a "numismatist" and not actually own a single coin.

Eringobraugh:
I collect only Medals and still consider myself a numismatist

Erik:
I like this definition :

Numismatics is specific personality disorder when person exchange pay money for invalid money and he is happy for it ;D ;D ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version