News

Medallions   

scottishmoney

• Trade Count: (0)

Offline Paint Your Wagon

Re: Humourous Rant Found On A Coin Forum
March 28, 2008, 03:27:15 AM
Someone ranting about KOTCT ::)

Maybe they want us to join the forum to reply so they can boast their numbers  ???
For some it is not Quality that counts but Quantity  :D

Where I am going I ain't certain
Where I am going I don't know
All I know is that I'am on my way

Offline RenaL

March 28, 2008, 03:39:14 AM
Aidan again.

I still couldn't figure out that guy.
I'm a member of a Turkish coin forum which he posts every now and then, haven't seen anything wrong there, but for some reasons he's not welcomed in CCF, and some others I've heard.
If I remember correct he also had a thing with our guestbook.

This is the first time I see him do this stunt.

Topher

March 28, 2008, 08:20:01 AM
I know of a few forums where he is still posting, and personally, I never had any issues with him, but that may be because I stuck to talking about coins.  This isn't the only time I've seen him start a "slam KOTCT" thread, either.  And to be banned from CCF must take some serious effort.

Offline AdamL

March 28, 2008, 08:47:48 AM
LOL. It was Aidan's rant on a little place called "coinlover's forum" that prompted me to apply for membership here. He made it sound like a bunch of arrogant and snobbish people with impossibly high standards. So I applied for membership, and here I am. For that, I am glad I know Aidan. LOL.
He's perminently banned from a number of forums, including cointalk.org where I'm a member. He starts arguement with people about coins, which is something we should all just agree to love. And when it comes to politics, he rants like a 12 year old boy who knows nothing about any of the issues, but curses like a sailor, while his speeches are VERY offensive to pretty much anyone who isn't a white protestant. So there you have it, my "Slam Aidan Work" rant!
heheh

-Adam
Knight Of The Coin Table #103

Offline Triggersmob

• Master Collector
  • Member Knight
  • Western Australian State Flag
March 28, 2008, 10:50:49 AM
I wouldn't be to concerned about Adrian. He has been banned from CCF and Cointalk, maybe others.

Maybe we should all sign up on his forum..  http://www.freepowerboards.com/bcnumismatics/login.php

and give him a blasting.

He invited me to join once, when I had a look at the site there was only 2 members. I don't think Adrian has any friends.

Steve
(From Western Australia)

OFEC count 239
See my gallery here, now with over 15,000 images...
http://www.coincommunity.org/gallery/index.php?cat=10048

Dumanyu

March 28, 2008, 11:25:19 AM
I have known Aidan for quite a while. I know all the good and the bad (which I will not iterate here). He is a member in good standing on my forum, and has not caused any havoc. I enforce very stringent policies on behavior, like most reputable forums.

Unfortunately, he and I share a similar dislike for a certain (not to be named) forum, but the difference is that I know when to keep my opinions to myself. Aidan, who is very knowledgeable about BC Numismatics, does not share this trait. I certainly do not agree with his rant, as to me it is a bit childish.

I once got my hand slapped (metaphorically speaking) on cointalk over something bogus, but I fail to see the point of ripping the site.

But that's me,

scottishmoney

March 28, 2008, 01:24:58 PM
This all came about because a forum I mod from time to time has been getting multiple regs from said user, he was banned before, twice.  So I looked up his userid in google, and found the rip of the KOTCT process. 

Offline CoinCrusader42

• Angel Knight
  • Member Knight
  • Founding Member
March 28, 2008, 01:54:16 PM
I certainly have nothing "against" Aidan.

However, his views seem a little apart from the norm.

One of his first posts which I can remember from him was on either CT or CCF.  He was writing about the Pope and Anti-Pope.  I could'nt follow what he was suggesting.

He seems to march to his own drum beat, and expects others to also.

Oh well, takes all kinds, or this would be a pretty boring world.

:) :) :) :)

tyjulie

March 28, 2008, 04:50:15 PM
i like the reply to his post

Offline Humpybong

March 28, 2008, 10:28:33 PM
Yes, it was a great reply from one of our members.

I have been on forums where Aidan pushes his own agenda.

Does not appear to be a team members of anything.

Barry
Brisbane, Australia
Forum Administrator

"Experience enables you to recognise a mistake when you make it a again"

Offline TwoShadows

March 28, 2008, 11:46:15 PM
Gosh, I was just getting ready to send in the following classified ad to Numismatic News as I can get it for $5 for 4 weeks. Will run in the world coins catagory for publicity.

"World Wide Collectors, safe haven for buying, selling and trading. www.knightsofthecointable.com 
Come join the best on the internet."

We could run a much larger ad but it would be very pricey and all I wanted to do was stir up some curiousity? The $5 seemed pretty cheap for a four week run. But now that I find out we are all a bunch of elitists I am just crushed. :'(  Guess he doesn't know about the few folks who got the boot for NOT fulfilling their trade agreements in the past? If he could find them perhaps he could start a world wide revolution against us and we would suffer for the rest of eternity???

While he may not understand our concept it is important we continue to protect that which we have built. And like it or not this is NOT any one individuals forum. Its OURS. Governed by the membership for the membership. The moderators on this forum are worse off than the Maytag Repairman. Not much to do. When we do disagree, and we do, it is with respect and professionalism I seldom see on other forums.

I just made major silver purchase for a member here. Shipping large quanities of anything around the world is a gamble which takes a ton of respect and trust. It is a very nice feeling knowing there are folks here who can be trusted to follow through NO MATTER WHAT! Then all we got to do is pray our packages clear customs and make it to their destinations. A very unique bond and faith in each other is available here and I can't think of one member that I would hesitate to send coins or my cash in any deal that is agreed upon.

In the last year I have handled and tried to account for every dime that we as a group have raised or spent. Gary Burke has tried to keep the exact same records so that we know, without a doubt, everything is on the up and up at all times.  I also make every effort to post the income and expenses as promptly as possible so you all know exactly what is going on ALL the time. The monies have amounted to thousands of dollars and some of the purchases I have made for some of you has been in the hundreds and I have seen an ocassional couple thousand spent on one transaction. Nothing could ever match that which we have built right here and WE are not about to squander those efforts away on a gamble. And should someone, in the future, even think of starting any crap here, Merlin will be on him or her like stink on poo-poo and banishment will come quickly and last forever. Thats just the way it is!

Everything that is done here is VOLUNTEER! No one makes a dime for their efforts unless we as a group decide to reward them in one way or another. We have made every effort to see that no one ever gets stuck with a cost they did not volunteer to handle. So far I think we have been very successful and, at this time, the only monies we will definitely be needing is in the fall of 2009 when we have to re-up our forum contract with GoDaddy.com. We may want to look at that a little earlier should the opportunity arise that would save us some money but until we do this site is bought and paid for by WE the members and WE have a right to protect it.

Terry
Knight #1

"Life's a Lemon, I want my money back!" (Meatloaf)

Offline AdamL

March 29, 2008, 06:33:03 AM
I wouldn't let Aidan stop you from running that ad. I don't think anyone takes him very seriously.

-Adam

Offline CoinCrusader42

• Angel Knight
  • Member Knight
  • Founding Member
March 29, 2008, 08:51:17 AM
Terry,

Everything you stated is "right on!"

Working for a newspaper, I can guarantee that the cost of your proposed ad is very inexpensive.  I hope you will go ahead with it.  Sounds like a good idea.

scottishmoney

March 29, 2008, 09:18:32 AM
I have temple recommended a couple of members here, that I know from another forum and have traded multiple times with, I also know of a couple of others, in Germany and Netherlands that I would like to see join, they are great traders and I have supplied my German and Dutch €uro collections with many commems they hunt out.

Offline Triggersmob

• Master Collector
  • Member Knight
  • Western Australian State Flag
March 29, 2008, 10:48:56 AM
The only trouble with an ad in the paper, is that people will apply that nobody knows. Then what, do we admit them anyway?

Steve
(From Western Australia)

OFEC count 239
See my gallery here, now with over 15,000 images...
http://www.coincommunity.org/gallery/index.php?cat=10048

Offline Muckeye

• Angel Knight
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Member Knight
  • Master Collector
March 29, 2008, 02:31:04 PM
With 'peanuts' like Adrian we don't need to advertise.
regards.

Muckeye ~ Knight #30

scottishmoney

March 30, 2008, 01:52:52 AM
I would like to suggest we continue to admit new members, but continue to invite people we know of, etc. and not open ourselves up to chaff from the outside.

Offline Paint Your Wagon

March 30, 2008, 04:58:25 AM
Hey you got me on the inside allready and some very knowledgeble americans called me nuts  ;D
They probably thaught they were Patton at the Battle in the Belgian Ardennes  1945 ? ::)

Offline AdamL

March 30, 2008, 06:23:56 AM
With 'peanuts' like Adrian we don't need to advertise.
regards.

Yeah, it was his "advertising" that attracted me to the KOTCT. One strange thing about him is that his antics have made him quite well known among the internet coin people. LOL. Kind of ironic...

-Adam

scottishmoney

March 30, 2008, 07:46:52 AM
Hey you got me on the inside allready and some very knowledgeble americans called me nuts  ;D
They probably thaught they were Patton at the Battle in the Belgian Ardennes  1945 ? ::)

Sadly I don't think most Americans today would know what that means, or the significance it had in confusing the hell out of the Germans whilst they tried to figure out what "Nuts" meant.  It was thus a brilliant response.

Offline AdamL

March 30, 2008, 09:11:18 AM

Sadly I don't think most Americans today would know what that means, or the significance it had in confusing the hell out of the Germans whilst they tried to figure out what "Nuts" meant.  It was thus a brilliant response.

I only know about those historic events because a relative of mine(now deceasded) was there, and our local national guard armory is named after him.

-Adam

Offline Paint Your Wagon

March 30, 2008, 09:30:55 AM
In my view the answer of Patton saying Nuts is a classic that should be cherished together with expressions by Shakespeare and any of the French philosofers etc
The answer was brilliant since Patton did not know the Germans were running out of diesel for their tanks

scottishmoney

March 30, 2008, 10:38:57 AM
In my view the answer of Patton saying Nuts is a classic that should be cherished together with expressions by Shakespeare and any of the French philosofers etc
The answer was brilliant since Patton did not know the Germans were running out of diesel for their tanks

The irony of the fact that the Germans had no diesel or fuel was that they had driven right by an Allied fuel dump, and had they been more observant would have captured nearly 1 million gallons of petrol.  By late 1944, early 1945 Germany was running on synthetic fuels and whatever remained of Rumanian oil imports from before 1943.

Dumanyu

March 30, 2008, 12:54:15 PM
If I remember my history, it wasn't Patton who said "Nuts". It was Gen. Mac Caullif (sp?). He commanded the 101st Airborne which was surrounded at Bastogne.

Offline CoinCrusader42

• Angel Knight
  • Member Knight
  • Founding Member
March 30, 2008, 04:55:02 PM
I have a friend who fought at the "Battle of the Bulge."

He did some pretty heroic things are earned medals for his valor.

He never talks about it and shuns any attempt by media for stories.

He is a super person.

Offline CoinCrusader42

• Angel Knight
  • Member Knight
  • Founding Member
March 30, 2008, 05:06:01 PM
Another personal tidbit, but this one is a little negative.

I have another older friend, and he served under Patton.

Years ago, I did some research on Patton, and then wrote a college report about him.  When I learned that my friend had served under him, I mentioned what a great leader Patton was.

To my surprise, the friend admitted to Patton's tactical abilities, but said he was not loved by his men.  He went as far as to say that several of his soldier buddies threw a party when they heard about the jeep wreck that hurt Patton and gave him the injuries he eventually died from.

War is a terrible thing, and it's unfortunate to dislike your leaders, but that's the way it was in this particular case.

Offline Paint Your Wagon

March 30, 2008, 09:48:09 PM
If I remember my history, it wasn't Patton who said "Nuts". It was Gen. Mac Caullif (sp?). He commanded the 101st Airborne which was surrounded at Bastogne.

I wonder were I picked up the wrong name for the auther of NUTS since I cannot recall ever having heard of McAuliffe before
Thanks for putting me right

scottishmoney

March 30, 2008, 10:09:19 PM

To my surprise, the friend admitted to Patton's tactical abilities, but said he was not loved by his men.  He went as far as to say that several of his soldier buddies threw a party when they heard about the jeep wreck that hurt Patton and gave him the injuries he eventually died from.

War is a terrible thing, and it's unfortunate to dislike your leaders, but that's the way it was in this particular case.

My wife's grandfather was in basic training in Palm Springs in California during the Spring of 1942 learning to drive tanks through sand traps etc.  One day he was ordered to take a VIP back to HQ in a hurry, so being a bit of a leadfoot anyway, he hightailed back through gullies etc. in a bone jarring ride.  When they arrived at HQ he was verbally berated by the VIP that turned out to be Patton, for damned near killing him several times on the ride back.

scottishmoney

March 30, 2008, 10:13:22 PM
One thing I will say about Patton in the positive, he had stated that if he were to die in action that he wanted to be buried with his men, so when he was killed in the accident, he was buried in the cemetery in Hamm Luxembourg amongst common soldiers.  But because of his grave location, the cemetery was being damaged by people looking for his grave, so later on he was disinterred and buried near the entrance of the cemetery.  The cemetery in Hamm is well worth a visit if you find your way to Luxembourg.  It was the only US military cemetery I have seen in Europe.

Offline Paint Your Wagon

March 30, 2008, 11:54:37 PM
It was the only US military cemetery I have seen in Europe.

I saw two in Bretagne near the landing beaches . I visited most of them and all the landing beaches and Aromanche is the most intresting place since they got a 360 degrees theater were they play a film made in 1944 original black and white whilst you are standing (no seats)
Those cemeteries are gigantic . Like nothing else I have seen in my life . Uniform for at least a mile deep and well maintained .

scottishmoney

March 31, 2008, 12:25:40 AM
One of my grandfather's first cousins is buried in Belgium, four years ago I held and read the letter he had written to his then 12 year old brother about Belgium, he wrote and sent it 4 days before he was killed in battle. 

Offline Paint Your Wagon

March 31, 2008, 01:57:37 AM
One of my grandfather's first cousins is buried in Belgium, four years ago I held and read the letter he had written to his then 12 year old brother about Belgium, he wrote and sent it 4 days before he was killed in battle. 

Bummer.
Pity is this soil has been a battleground I think mentioned the first time by Julius Caesar
Spanish Alva past right over us to Holland
Margaretha of Austria had her HQ in my hometown
The French and Napoleon and the English and the Prussians fought it out at Waterloo
The Germans wanted it twice
I think more foreign nationals for or against us died here then the were "Belgians" killed in action

In 1939? my father went to war with two cannons and 12 horses he was like 2 days east when the germans rolled up to him with their mechanised
transportation and gave him 4 year lodgings in a german workfarm

Offline CoinCrusader42

• Angel Knight
  • Member Knight
  • Founding Member
March 31, 2008, 09:03:23 AM
We have been to the cemetery near the landing beaches in France.

Pretty awesome sight.

Dumanyu

April 01, 2008, 03:44:56 PM

I wonder were I picked up the wrong name for the auther of NUTS since I cannot recall ever having heard of McAuliffe before
Thanks for putting me right

Paint,
    If you ever want to read a good book on the 101st, read "Band of Brothers" by Stephen Ambrose. HBO did a mini-series on Easy company, from which the book was written about. The HBO thing is excellent, but as you might imagine, the book is full of much more details.