May 04, 2024, 07:01:06 AM

News

Medallions   

Offline ZoidMeister

Folks,

I know that each coin design is a story told through engraved dies and striking.   Our beloved KOTCT medals have one of the more intricate and fetching reverse designs that I have seen.   I am sure that each element was selected and included to help tell the story.   I just know that there is more to the story than meets the eye.

Does anyone have the "backstory" to the design of the KOTCT medals reverse?  Surely someone has information on how it came into being?

Looking forward to any and all information.

Z

The following users thanked this post: Kudbegud

Offline Gluggo

I see no one has answered your inquiry.  I myself do not know how the reverse came about but I am sure there is a good story behind it.  I do not think Dan talked about this when I went to his shop for a Open house last year or so ago.  I would recommend if you have the time it’s well worth.  At the time Dan was getting ready to produce the whole batch of the very last batch he has made so far for this club “ The Witch “. Hopefully we get one this year.  I want to say Covid made it tough for everybody.  Dan actually thinks he caught it shortly after our visit during the Super Bowl.  Zion and I went there and we had a blast! 
Nice job on your quest to buy all DC (woof)work!   Very impressive keep up the good finds.  I was watching the sword go on EBay I did not bid on that one, or you might not of got it!!!!😎. (Joke).

The following users thanked this post: ZoidMeister

Offline Gluggo

Here is one of my more colorful ones!

Offline TKO

TO know the exact details of the reverse side shield you will need to pester Daniel Carr. Back in the day, just as much info was communicated through our chatroom as their was in posts. He and many others threw out their ideas and low and behold the design was set. Below is a legacy post by Daniel discussing the reverse die.

Now I do like your "worldly" reverse Daniel. I would suggest something that will be a part of our organization forever such as Old Dan's statement, "In Each Knight We Shall Trust".
Looks like we are getting there and I do agree we should stick with a design to cut reverse expenses from here on out. Changing the obverse will be undertaken next year so we can worry about that design then!

TKO™

The following users thanked this post: AuldFartte, Kudbegud, ZoidMeister

Offline Midnite

Is there a way to acquire one of these medals?

The following users thanked this post: ZoidMeister

Offline Triggersmob

• Master Collector
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Member Knight
  • Western Australian State Flag
From what I recall about the design, it had a picture of the world on both sides, showing each side of the Earth, so all countries were represented.  In the middle is a picture of a computer, that we all use to gather in the castle and other items that you would use for coin collecting. The catalogue below the computer and a magnifying glass above. I think on the earlier medals it also had the flags of countries of current members at the time.

Steve :)

Steve
(From Western Australia)

OFEC count 239
See my gallery here, now with over 15,000 images...
http://www.coincommunity.org/gallery/index.php?cat=10048

The following users thanked this post: Mackinac, Kudbegud

Offline Triggersmob

• Master Collector
  • Member Knight
Here is the earlier design with the flags.

Steve
(From Western Australia)

OFEC count 239

The following users thanked this post: Zoins, Kudbegud, ZoidMeister

Offline TKO

I knew someone could remember...

Atta boy Steve! I can't remember anything since I had my chemo treatments. I'm still alive though...

Good hearing from you mate!

TKO™

The following users thanked this post: Kudbegud, Cheezhed

Offline Triggersmob

• Master Collector
  • Member Knight
Thanks TKO, hope the chemo worked out well.

Cheers

Steve
(From Western Australia)

OFEC count 239

Offline TKO

So far, it's working. I have checkup on the 14th of May to see if it is active. Always keeping my fingers crossed for these visits.

Cheers!
Terry

TKO™

Offline Triggersmob

• Master Collector
  • Member Knight
my fingers will be crossed for you too. :)

Hope it all goes well.

Cheers

Steve
(From Western Australia)

OFEC count 239

Offline AuldFartte

Wow! How did that one tone so beautifully?

Tom (United States)
Knight #45

Offline ZoidMeister

Is there a way to acquire one of these medals?

They show up on Ebay frequently, but I think there might be a few available from the moderators of this forum.   I'll try to remember who and will PM you their contact info.

Z

Offline Gluggo

Wow! How did that one tone so beautifully?

First TKO I am glad your doing well!  Hang in there!

As for the toning that would be a Dan question since he did create and perfect them.  But I can say this is a 2016 KOTCT  “ Merlin” Polish Color PL Color-  Color Toned with  polish finish of Silver.  I believe there were 6 made.  Here is a picture of the front which is even more impressive as you can get different colors as you move the coins.  this one has a sharp ray of Blue and Purple.  This is my favorite design and I was not a member at the time so I hunted for them where ever they might show up!  Even here.  Enjoy

The following users thanked this post: Kudbegud, Cheezhed, Midnite, ZoidMeister