May 05, 2024, 12:36:11 PM

News

Medallions   

voyageur

• Trade Count: (0)
Another Quest Has Begun !
March 29, 2018, 10:47:08 AM
Whatever the final design for the 2018 Medallion, I would like to see one version colorized like some of Daniel's other creations...

The following users thanked this post: TKO, Kudbegud, HʘʘT Owl

Offline HʘʘT Owl

Re: Another Quest Has Begun !
March 29, 2018, 11:17:00 AM
 That would be cool....;D

Offline D. Carr

March 29, 2018, 11:40:22 AM
The 2017 medals were long overdue, as everyone is aware. A lot of that is because it was a daunting task with all the different kinds, a larger total quantity than before, bi-metallic blanks, 4 new dies, Stonehenge versions, 600 inserts to print, organize, and sign, etc.

I don't want to be late on the 2018 medals. Also, I am trying to keep the 2nd half of the year entirely open for my own activities only. So that means I would like to get the 2018 medals done by the end of May. To make that happen, there are some things that can be done to streamline the production. Here are some recommendations:

1)
The 50mm brass, copper, and bimetallic medals are too hard to strike, and the bi-metallic blanks are hard to make. Even the 50mm solid silver 2-troy-oz version was difficult and had to be broad-struck. There is a nice relatively-new 50mm shield (reverse) die and it would make sense to find some way to use it for 2018. So I recommend that the only 2018 50mm medal be a 3-troy-oz 999 silver piece with a standard as-struck finish (semi-proof-like). The 3-troy-oz weight will mean that it will be 50% thicker, which will allow it to strike up better in collar.

2)
Antiquing can produce a nice look. But the sulfur-based compounds that I use for that often leave a splotchy toning pattern on silver (which is mitigated by the final burnishing). Of all the metals, I think antiquing on brass works the best. So I recommend that the only 2018 antiqued medal be 39mm brass.

3)
Color toning on silver is very unpredictable and often splotchy, as previously noted. Color toning on brass works pretty well, but can be hard to tell apart from color-toned copper. If the antiqued option was only available on brass, and the color-toned option was only available on copper, that would seem to make the most sense while reducing confusion.

4)
The Stonehenge 2L (silver) die has been polished a few too many times and the letters of "STONEHENGE" are getting pretty thin (shallow) nearest to the rim. The Stonehenge 1d (copper) die that I have has a crack in it. So I recommend that neither of those dies be used again.

5)
Repeated bead-blasting and proof-like polishing of a die will shorten its life. This doesn't matter for the obverse die since it is typically only used for the one year. But additional die costs can be avoided if the reverse (shield) die can be used over several years. As such, I recommend that only one strike finish be offered (not counting post-strike finishes). That recommended finish would be a semi-proof-like finish, somewhere between proof-like and satin in appearance. This would allow the dies to reach a natural surface finish equilibrium.

If all the above recommendations are enacted, resulting product options would be:

39mm brass semi-proof-like
39mm brass antiqued

39mm copper semi-proof-like
39mm copper color-toned

39mm silver semi-proof-like (1-troy-oz)

50mm silver semi-proof-like (3-troy-oz)

This plan would also allow me to spend some more time focusing on the design itself.

The following users thanked this post: Dwhiz, Oih82w8

Offline Usarok

• Master Collector
  • Member Knight
  • Collecting in the shadow of Pikes Peak
March 29, 2018, 12:39:58 PM
I'm all for using Dan's 2018 Medal Quest options!

voyageur

March 29, 2018, 12:48:24 PM
I like "Daniel's Plan". While a lot of options are nice to choose from, it does make production more complicated and should certainly be considered. The 50mm 3oz silver option would make me a Happy Knight ! Now all we need to do is decide on what the design should look like and I'm a thinkin' perhaps Knights standing at the Coin Table ?

Offline Felinfoel

March 29, 2018, 02:20:52 PM
If all the above recommendations are enacted, resulting product options would be:

39mm brass semi-proof-like
39mm brass antiqued

39mm copper semi-proof-like
39mm copper color-toned

39mm silver semi-proof-like (1-troy-oz)

50mm silver semi-proof-like (3-troy-oz)

This plan would also allow me to spend some more time focusing on the design itself.
I'm in! Love the 3-ounce!

Offline D. Carr

March 29, 2018, 03:07:12 PM
I like "Daniel's Plan". While a lot of options are nice to choose from, it does make production more complicated and should certainly be considered. The 50mm 3oz silver option would make me a Happy Knight ! Now all we need to do is decide on what the design should look like and I'm a thinkin' perhaps Knights standing at the Coin Table ?

That would require a lot of effort in the sculpting. But it is a possibility.
I was also thinking of something like this (or even exactly like this, but with a "2018" date):

The following users thanked this post: Dwhiz

Offline CA Collector

March 29, 2018, 08:36:48 PM
I agree completely with Dan's product options -- especially that 50mm 3oz silver!

Offline D. Carr

March 29, 2018, 11:33:59 PM
It has also been suggested that the 2018 medal could be in a "cob" (hammered) style.
The design example I previously posted could be used on a cob. But any such cob would have to be silver only (not brass or copper).

Here is an example of a large 4-troy-oz silver cob that I made some time back:

Here is a slightly revised (improved) design in a 1-troy-oz silver cob:

The following users thanked this post: ZoidMeister

Offline D. Carr

March 29, 2018, 11:36:44 PM
If the antique finish is not offered on silver (as I suggested) then here is what the same cob would look like in brilliant satin:

Offline SirStacksALot

March 30, 2018, 01:04:08 AM
The amount of orders and types for the 2017 medals did get very hard to keep track of and calculate. I agree the medal types needs to be lowered a lot to have these done by May.

I think it would be awesome to use the poured silver blanks to give us a medieval hammered currency look for the 2018 medals. It would make them a very unique medal.  I have a few of the cobs, and the look would fit a medieval currency very well.  If we put George and the dragon in the middle (mabye a Daniel Carr version of George and the dragon that would fit the period well), and use the shields from the large medals around the edges, each medal would have a little different edge showing like a hammered coin would.

As far as the medal types go, I think we should reduce it to 4 types.  The 1 strike finish (semi-proof like as Daniel suggested) would help a lot with making things manageable.  As far as the types, I would like to see:

1 oz Silver, 1 oz Silver Antique, 1 oz Silver Color, and 3 oz Silver. 

Although Silver may not be the best for the finishes, it is always my favorite metal to see in color or antiqued.  Once all of the costs are added in for each mebers price, I think more people are willing to pay the additional cost for the finishes if it is on silver. Also if we do go with the cob style blanks (which I really hope we do) the 1 oz Silver can't be placed on the edge, and could be placed on the obverse die. 

I think if any additional styles we're added they should be the larger medals in antique and color.

It's good to see this thread going :)   

The following users thanked this post: HʘʘT Owl

Offline TKO

I'm liking everything I'm reading here.

I also think that for once we should let Daniel drive this wagon. He completely immersed in this craft and if he suggests something, like these:

I say go for it. I think we should minimize the personalization details for him and sculpt some dies. We all know he's going to detail them enough to personalize them for the group. I do like the idea of striking poured blanks too. It gives it a unique rustic period look that really catches attention. My 300th anniversary cob gets lots of compliments due to its appearance too.

Well....I've vented

Ready to be drawn and quartered...

TKO™

Offline Mackinac

March 30, 2018, 02:25:02 AM
The cob style sounds good. I am a big fan of Mr. Carr's antique silver medals so I vote for that type to be offered.

in all trust there is a possibility of betrayal

voyageur

March 30, 2018, 02:42:49 AM
I absolutely like the cob style suggestion as well as the St. George and the Dragon design concept. Silver is always nice and a 3oz creation would certainly be something special for 2018.

Offline Gluggo

March 30, 2018, 03:29:22 AM
What ever is decided I am in.  I got the check book / paypal out!

Offline HʘʘT Owl

March 30, 2018, 05:28:04 AM
I agree 100% with what Jim and Gluggo say and of course what Dan says.

Dan, Dan, you da man,
if you can't do it, no Mint can.... ::)

Offline MattTheRiley

• Master Collector
  • Member Knight
  • Hello World!
March 30, 2018, 05:47:37 AM
I like Jim's idea of all silver this year, in COB style, and I love Dan's idea of using the St. George & the Dragon design.

Hiding in Oregon, USA

Offline CA Collector

March 30, 2018, 07:55:56 AM
I love the St George and the Dragon design. And 2018 is its 200th Anniversary!**

But instead of the all-too-common "Sword" design, what do you Knights think of the "Broken Spear" version from Petrucci's original sketch?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sovereign_(British_coin)#Pistrucci's_George_and_Dragon_design

Why isn't The Royal Mint doing a silver "Broken Spear" commemorative? Maybe because they went all-in with gold Sovereigns.

http://blog.royalmint.com/sovereign-2017-celebrating-200-years-modern-sovereign/
http://agaunews.com/sovereign-firsts-piedfort-five-sovereign-smooth-rimmed-variants-original-design-launched/

**Long-story-short, the 1818 British Crown was the first silver coin to use the St George and Dragon. It's historically significant because that coin was part of the Great Re-coinage of 1816 -- "an attempt by the British Government to re-stabilize the currency of Great Britain following economic difficulties precipitated by the French Revolutionary Wars and the Napoleonic Wars." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Recoinage_of_1816

voyageur

March 30, 2018, 08:29:37 AM
What a great idea ~ Petrucci's "Broken Spear" would be as unique as De Francisci's "Broken Sword" design that Daniel produced for his 1917 & 1918 Peace Dollars.

Offline MattTheRiley

• Master Collector
  • Member Knight
  • Hello World!
March 30, 2018, 09:06:26 AM
I second the idea of using the Broken Spear design!

Hiding in Oregon, USA

Offline SirStacksALot

March 30, 2018, 09:11:03 AM
I like the idea of making a design from the original sketch a lot!!!!!

Offline D. Carr

March 30, 2018, 10:02:09 AM
The amount of orders and types for the 2017 medals did get very hard to keep track of and calculate. I agree the medal types needs to be lowered a lot to have these done by May.

I think it would be awesome to use the poured silver blanks to give us a medieval hammered currency look for the 2018 medals. It would make them a very unique medal.  I have a few of the cobs, and the look would fit a medieval currency very well.  If we put George and the dragon in the middle (mabye a Daniel Carr version of George and the dragon that would fit the period well), and use the shields from the large medals around the edges, each medal would have a little different edge showing like a hammered coin would.

As far as the medal types go, I think we should reduce it to 4 types.  The 1 strike finish (semi-proof like as Daniel suggested) would help a lot with making things manageable.  As far as the types, I would like to see:

1 oz Silver, 1 oz Silver Antique, 1 oz Silver Color, and 3 oz Silver. 

Although Silver may not be the best for the finishes, it is always my favorite metal to see in color or antiqued.  Once all of the costs are added in for each mebers price, I think more people are willing to pay the additional cost for the finishes if it is on silver. Also if we do go with the cob style blanks (which I really hope we do) the 1 oz Silver can't be placed on the edge, and could be placed on the obverse die. 

I think if any additional styles we're added they should be the larger medals in antique and color.

It's good to see this thread going :)

The antiquing process that I have used on prior medals is:

1) Strike normally (brilliant satin or proof-like finish - doesn't matter which).
2) Bead-blast the medals. This imparts a matte finish.
3) Add toning using sulfur compounds. As previously mentioned, the color pattern is unpredictable and often splotchy on silver.
4) Burnishing by rubbing the medal by hand with the glass bead media as an abrasive. This takes the toning off of the high points to accentuate the relief.

Rather than having three silver finishes (brilliant semi-proof-like; color-toned; antiqued) what about two with one being the standard brilliant semi-proof-like and the other be a combination of color-toning and antiquing. I have done that before and it has produced appealing results. The process for that is as follows:

1) Strike normally (brilliant satin or proof-like finish - doesn't matter which).
2) Add toning using sulfur compounds. The toning pattern generally seems more natural on brilliant silver compared to matte silver, but it can still be odd looking (unpredictable).
3) Light circulation by using a vibratory tumbler which contains the medals and a quantity of copper small cents. This makes the medal look slightly used, and the light wear makes any toning pattern look more like natural.

Offline SirStacksALot

March 30, 2018, 10:20:42 AM
That sounds good to me,  one type will be antique-toned, and one will be silver.  Antique-toned will be done hower you decide works best. 

voyageur

March 30, 2018, 10:24:25 AM
I think we are getting closer to the final answer here and a 'broken spear' 3 oz silver cob for Castle KOTCT in 2018 would most certainly be awesome !  :o

Offline CA Collector

March 30, 2018, 11:42:21 AM
I like Dan's cobs and have several.

But I'd prefer the 3oz as a medal, not a cob.

Then there'd be no need to clutter a beautiful design with the usual '999 Silver', '3 troy oz', etc. Instead, that info can be edge-inscribed on the medal.

Offline TTM5

March 30, 2018, 12:31:58 PM
I love the cob style also but the design must be be slightly "crude" to match.  A very detailed and refined design on a cob doesn't look quite right.

Colorized coins, especially by Dan, are beautiful but perhaps out of place in scenes depicting knights, dragons and castles.

My vote is for 1oz satin silver, 1oz antique silver, and 3oz antique cob.  I would actually prefer 4oz like the pirate cob, which was outstanding.

I know Dan is not crazy about the extra steps and esthetic risks involved with antiquing but it goes so well with the medieval themes of knights and castles.

Just my opinion.

Offline D. Carr

March 30, 2018, 07:11:19 PM
I love the cob style also but the design must be be slightly "crude" to match.  A very detailed and refined design on a cob doesn't look quite right.

Colorized coins, especially by Dan, are beautiful but perhaps out of place in scenes depicting knights, dragons and castles.

My vote is for 1oz satin silver, 1oz antique silver, and 3oz antique cob.  I would actually prefer 4oz like the pirate cob, which was outstanding.

I know Dan is not crazy about the extra steps and esthetic risks involved with antiquing but it goes so well with the medieval themes of knights and castles.

Just my opinion.

To clarify, the "color-toning" that we have been talking about is NOT any kind of paint or enamel or sticker applied to the medals. It is only a form of patina (oxidization).
Here is perhaps one of the best color-toning jobs I ever did (this one on semi-proof-like copper):

The 50mm silver pieces could be a 3-oz or 4-oz weight, in a normal circular shape (struck in collar) or a cob style.

The following users thanked this post: ZoidMeister

Offline Kittlecoins

March 30, 2018, 07:53:00 PM
I am glad to see that many are on board for fewer variations of the medal... was a bit crazy trying to decide which of 20 or so varieties to purchase!!!

I like the ideas presented by Dan so far, sounds great... a 3 oz. silver with the antique or antique/toned finish would be pretty impressive I'm sure.

8)

Michael Kittle Rare Coins
http://www.kittlecoins.com

Offline SilverFan

March 31, 2018, 12:48:29 AM
I support Dan’s idea of fewer product options especially if we can get the medals sooner this year.  I especially like the large (3 or 4 oz.) silver option.  I also really like using the St. George and dragon design as well with the 2018 date. 

voyageur

March 31, 2018, 04:48:12 AM
The silver "Broken Spear" Cob will be be quite exciting to see in final format ~ an excellent outcome for the 2018 Medallion Quest! 

Offline Pocketcoins

April 01, 2018, 12:02:26 AM
I have a different idea about our next medallion and I hope everyone will give it some thought. We have enjoyed the mint work of D. Carr since the beginning. There is no question that he is the best in the business. He is not just a mint operator but a true artist. Lets give him a free hand this time round. Let him do what he wants to do. Maybe not even tell us what it is going to be until it is finished. Then we would have a true peace of D. Carr  art.  He knows us because if you check the membership you will soon realize he is us. I have no doubt it would be the best medallion ever. So if I have a vote my vote would be let Daniel surprise us. :)

The following users thanked this post: TwoShadows

voyageur

April 01, 2018, 12:36:40 AM
I like some of our suggestions but there is absolutely nothing wrong with that option either !  8)

Offline Bigjpst

April 01, 2018, 04:29:00 AM
I like the idea of fewer issues as well. I’m not sure how the design proposed would play out on a cob but I like the idea for the smaller medals. Maybe small cobbs and the large medal in both medal and Cobb.

Offline Triggersmob

• Master Collector
  • Member Knight
  • Western Australian State Flag
April 01, 2018, 12:03:05 PM
Can we do one on a large aluminium planchet? I could not afford 3 or 4 oz silver coin.
Aluminium would be cheaper to post as well. I like aluminium coins/medals as they strike
well, being a soft metal.  :)   

Steve
(From Western Australia)

OFEC count 239
See my gallery here, now with over 15,000 images...
http://www.coincommunity.org/gallery/index.php?cat=10048

Offline CA Collector

April 01, 2018, 12:42:43 PM
I just re-read this thread. Lots of good ideas & opinions. And at this point, I believe there's only one hurdle left before we can start the order process.

But first, I think we need to confirm general agreement on 4 major points:

1. Minimize the number of offerings.

2. Use the original "Broken Spear" St-George-and-Dragon design. Modify as needed at Dan's discretion.

3. No brass and no copper offerings this year.

4. Offer 2 sizes of silver -- 39mm and ~50mm (3oz), each with 2 finishes. One finish is brilliant semi-proof-like; the other finish is a combination antique & color-tone.**

As I see it, all that's left to decide is Cob vs Medal. Since we'll have two silver sizes, I suggest we make one a Cob and the other a Medal. Let Dan decide, based on which he thinks is best.

That's 4 offerings. I'm in for at least one of each.

Of course, it'd be great to have Cobs and Medals for both Silver sizes. Medals in copper, brass, and other metals too. And I'd love to have a silver overstrike; maybe even a fantasy overstrike on a genuine 1818 - 1820 British Crown. But this year I think it's important to respect Dan's desire for streamlined production.

Hopefully I haven't offended any Knights with this post. I'm definitely not trying to take charge. But I'm really excited about the "Broken Spear" design -- especially given its 200th Anniversary -- and I think we need to place our order ASAP to get in Dan's end-of-May production schedule.

**From a post on page 2:
...Rather than having three silver finishes (brilliant semi-proof-like; color-toned; antiqued) what about two with one being the standard brilliant semi-proof-like and the other be a combination of color-toning and antiquing. I have done that before and it has produced appealing results...

voyageur

April 01, 2018, 01:18:40 PM
Agree that we will need to 'move along' with this discussion to meet with Daniel's production request and offer my thoughts:

- "Broken Spear" St. George and the Dragon obverse design

- 2 sizes, with my metal preference of silver, 39mm and 50mm (3oz).

- 1 Cob style and 1 Medal style for each of the 39mm and 50mm sizes ~ let Daniel decide the finishes for each for total of 4 2018 KOTCT Medallion options.

Offline CA Collector

April 01, 2018, 06:53:28 PM
Agree that we will need to 'move along' with this discussion to meet with Daniel's production request and offer my thoughts:

- "Broken Spear" St. George and the Dragon obverse design

- 2 sizes, with my metal preference of silver, 39mm and 50mm (3oz).

- 1 Cob style and 1 Medal style for each of the 39mm and 50mm sizes ~ let Daniel decide the finishes for each for total of 4 2018 KOTCT Medallion options.

Voyageur, you're suggesting 2 Cobs (approx. 39mm & 50mm) and 2 Medals (39mm & 50mm) -- and Dan chooses the finishes.

Excellent suggestion! It gets my vote. Of course I'd hope one or two will be the antique/color-tone combo.

Hopefully we can reach a consensus quickly.

Offline D. Carr

April 01, 2018, 10:12:44 PM
If you are paying for a die, it makes sense to use it to the fullest reasonable extent. But you don't want to go too far. At least one lower-cost option would be helpful to some members.

When I proposed a hybrid colored/antiqued finish, I envisioned that on a 39mm medal (round or cob). It could be problematic to apply that finish on a larger (~50mm) medal because they have to be the right size to come out satisfactory using my vibratory tumbler. I would have to try it.

Based on that and the other comments here, I propose:

39mm round brass, semi-proof-like.
39mm round brass, antiqued.

39mm round copper, semi-proof-like.
39mm round copper, color-toned.

39mm round silver 1-troy-oz, semi-proof-like.
39mm cob silver 1-troy-oz, colored/antiqued.

50mm round silver 3-troy-oz, semi-proof-like.
50mm cob silver 2-troy-oz, (maybe semi-proof-like but I could try other finishes to see what looks best and then do them all the same).

Note that the 50mm cob could be 2-troy-oz because they are easier to strike than a 50mm round medal struck in collar.

All of the above would yield 8 different types, which is less than the 14 types of 2017.

Of course, I would be in favor of letting me come up with my own design. I also like the traditional Saint George & Dragon design. I could replicate that fairly precisely. Or I could do a design which has the same sort of look and style, but instead of Saint George slaying the dragon, I could have Saint George and a somewhat larger dragon both facing off against some challenge that is off to the right (not shown). If that were the case, I could post renderings of it here for review prior to engraving, or it could be kept under wraps until the Knights actually receive their finished medals.

voyageur

April 01, 2018, 11:32:33 PM
I say we go with Daniel's proposal. I like the idea of the St. George and the Dragon concept. If we decide to go with any revision, let's have Daniel keep it 'under wraps' as we don't want to stuck in another discussion about the details. What say you all ?

Offline Humpybong

April 01, 2018, 11:46:32 PM

Yep...I agree

Barry
Brisbane, Australia
Forum Administrator

"Experience enables you to recognise a mistake when you make it a again"

Offline Merlin

April 01, 2018, 11:51:22 PM

Yes I like St. George and the Dragon but maybe a special medal issue could be added

Offline Felinfoel

April 02, 2018, 02:37:44 AM
I say we go with Daniel's proposal. I like the idea of the St. George and the Dragon concept. If we decide to go with any revision, let's have Daniel keep it 'under wraps' as we don't want to stuck in another discussion about the details. What say you all ?
I agree with Benny.

So say we all!

Offline MattTheRiley

• Master Collector
  • Member Knight
  • Hello World!
April 02, 2018, 03:29:56 AM
I really like the St. George slaying the Dragon design, especially the Broken Spear variant.

I think adding the brass and copper options moves us away from keeping it simple, and for those of us who are cost sensitive, I personally would rather spring for 1 nice silver round vs.even more for 4 varieties of copper / brass rounds (gotta collect em' all!).

I like the 3 following as proposed by Dan:

Hiding in Oregon, USA

Offline CA Collector

April 02, 2018, 04:25:37 AM
I agree with Dan's 8-coin proposal.

For the design, I'm still in favor of replicating the original "Broken Spear"  St George and the Dragon.

And give Dan full creative discretion to make modifications & enhancements. For example, what's the best way to put a 39mm design on a 50mm medal? Add armor for St George? Edge-inscriptions? Dual date 200th anniversary?

As Voyageur says, we don't want to get stuck in discussions.  I trust Dan's judgment -- keep it under wraps until it's finished. 

Offline HʘʘT Owl

April 02, 2018, 06:33:22 AM
Is St. George a Knight? Looks like a Roman Cavalryman.... :-\

The following users thanked this post: TwoShadows

voyageur

April 02, 2018, 06:47:07 AM
Hey Hoot,
Here is a more 'Knightly" looking St. George...

Offline MattTheRiley

• Master Collector
  • Member Knight
  • Hello World!
April 02, 2018, 06:59:23 AM
I always thought of him as the Nude Knight!

Hiding in Oregon, USA

Offline HʘʘT Owl

April 02, 2018, 08:03:34 AM
Hey Hoot,
Here is a more 'Knightly" looking St. George...

That's a little better, just make him a little more meaner looking... :o

voyageur

April 02, 2018, 11:11:36 AM
Here are 2 more styles of St. George, however, it would be difficult for me not to vote for Petrucci's original 'broken spear'.

Offline TwoShadows

April 02, 2018, 02:47:04 PM
I would prefer a KNIGHT slaying the Dragon other than the older British design. It would be more to our theme and quite frankly I like Knights. I do like silver and also the Cob Design would be unique. And like many of you I prefer fewer options for each of us to purchase and less work for Daniel but it is important that we offer something that every budget can afford! Now we can let Daniel work his magic!

Terry
Knight #1

"Life's a Lemon, I want my money back!" (Meatloaf)

Offline Dwhiz

April 02, 2018, 10:02:06 PM
What ever is decided I am in.  I got the check book / paypal out!
Me too

voyageur

April 03, 2018, 05:58:19 AM
Are the Knights of the Coin Table now ready for Daniel to start his 2018 Medallion Design process ?

Offline HʘʘT Owl

April 03, 2018, 08:33:14 AM
 ;D ;D

Offline SirStacksALot

April 03, 2018, 05:22:41 PM
If you are paying for a die, it makes sense to use it to the fullest reasonable extent. But you don't want to go too far. At least one lower-cost option would be helpful to some members.

When I proposed a hybrid colored/antiqued finish, I envisioned that on a 39mm medal (round or cob). It could be problematic to apply that finish on a larger (~50mm) medal because they have to be the right size to come out satisfactory using my vibratory tumbler. I would have to try it.

Based on that and the other comments here, I propose:

39mm round brass, semi-proof-like.
39mm round brass, antiqued.

39mm round copper, semi-proof-like.
39mm round copper, color-toned.

50mm cob silver 2-troy-oz, (maybe semi-proof-like but I could try other finishes to see what looks best and then do them all the same).

Note that the 50mm cob could be 2-troy-oz because they are easier to strike than a 50mm round medal struck in collar.

All of the above would yield 8 different types, which is less than the 14 types of 2017.

Of course, I would be in favor of letting me come up with my own design. I also like the traditional Saint George & Dragon design. I could replicate that fairly precisely. Or I could do a design which has the same sort of look and style, but instead of Saint George slaying the dragon, I could have Saint George and a somewhat larger dragon both facing off against some challenge that is off to the right (not shown). If that were the case, I could post renderings of it here for review prior to engraving, or it could be kept under wraps until the Knights actually receive their finished medals.

I think the 8 types that Daniel has proposed here would do well for the 2018 medallion quest.  The larger medals will probably be more expensive than last year since there will be only two types to spread the die costs too (even if they were made in a cheaper medal like aluminum).  The copper and brass medals will be the best option for a less expensive medal.

I am in favor of Daniel doing whatever he wants with the design for 2018.  It will probably be a challenge to make it look right on both a cob, and a regular planchet.  My guess from the comments above is that there is already a knight/dragon idea rolling around in his head that will work well.

Although I like the idea of keeping the design a surprise, I think it is good to let people have a chance to add to thier order once the design is done.  It makes my job a lot harder, but quite a few people have added to thier after seeing the 2017 design.  It also boosts the treasury funds since the late orders cost the same as the original orders, and the design and die costs are already paid.  This is very helpful when it comes time to pay our web fees.

I will try to start working on the order and calculation spreadsheets as soon as I get the 2017 Medals shipped out.

The following users thanked this post: CA Collector, Dwhiz, Stardust47

Offline TKO

April 04, 2018, 12:03:33 AM
Put me down for one each of everything he going to pound out.

I'll keep up with the totals and make it square when prices are set.

TKO™

Offline Gluggo

April 11, 2018, 02:03:58 AM
Put me down for one each of everything he going to pound out.

I'll keep up with the totals and make it square when prices are set.

I am also wanting 1 of everything (Silver) that Mr. Carr will make for the 2018 versions. 

Offline MattTheRiley

• Master Collector
  • Member Knight
  • Hello World!
April 11, 2018, 10:17:11 AM
I am in for at least one of each.

Hiding in Oregon, USA

Offline Drsmp

April 11, 2018, 03:32:53 PM
Sounds awesome , I am in for at least two of all silver versions. Perhaps three of the 2 and 3 oz silvers.

Offline BruceS

• Member Knight
April 12, 2018, 06:52:19 AM
so it's finalized 8 total medals and 4 are silver, sounds good to me, start the presses...Yahooo

voyageur

April 12, 2018, 11:29:24 AM
I like the 2017 10th Anniversary medallions so much, I may order 2 of each for 2018 !  8)

Offline SirStacksALot

April 12, 2018, 04:48:21 PM
Ok, so here is an update: I have started a new thread for orders.  Please place your order for 2018 medals on the new thread, not here.

So, my unexpected favorite of all the 2017 types just happens to be the loose $14 Ike strike.  I have been carrying one in my pocket, and it is pretty cool to be able to show it to friends and family.   We have quite a few left that are available to members.  I asked Dan if we could do another similar loose bulk over strike.  He suggested that we use a 1965 Churchill Crown for the overstrike.   They seem to be around $2 each.  Here is a lot of 100 on ebay that would cost about $200 shipping included.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1965-WINSTON-CHURCHILL-CROWN-COINS-BULK-LOT-OF-100-COINS-FREE-UK-POSTAGE/173239301417?hash=item2855ddf529:g:tckAAOSwTuJYrX2l

Is this a good deal, or can someone find a lot of about 100 of them pretty quickly for cheaper than $2 each?

Offline Humpybong

April 12, 2018, 08:20:53 PM

Sounds good to me.

Barry
Brisbane, Australia
Forum Administrator

"Experience enables you to recognise a mistake when you make it a again"

Offline HʘʘT Owl

April 12, 2018, 09:57:35 PM
$2 sounds good to me.

Offline HʘʘT Owl

April 12, 2018, 10:50:13 PM
How does this work? I've been wondering but never ask,

Offline SirStacksALot

April 13, 2018, 04:46:25 PM

So the idea is the same as the Clad ike overstrikes.  Daniel struck 100 of them for $700 for us loose without the coin flips to keep the cost of them down.  About 50 (not exact number but close) of them were sold for $14 each which pretty much funded the strikes.  The cost of the dies and design were not included in these strikes.  There are about 50 left, which will fund the treasury as they are sold.   This also gives new members a chance to buy the previous medals at a decent price.

I still have to start a thread for them, but I am kind of buried in other things to get done to pull this 2018 medal off in a short time frame.  So if anyone wants one or some of the 2017 clad overstrikes, they are available, just pm me.

I did purchase the lot of 100 Churchill Crowns to overstrike so they will be available. 

The following users thanked this post: Felinfoel, HʘʘT Owl

Offline CA Collector

April 13, 2018, 05:54:21 PM

So the idea is the same as the Clad ike overstrikes.  Daniel struck 100 of them for $700 for us loose without the coin flips to keep the cost of them down.  About 50 (not exact number but close) of them were sold for $14 each which pretty much funded the strikes.  The cost of the dies and design were not included in these strikes.  There are about 50 left, which will fund the treasury as they are sold.   This also gives new members a chance to buy the previous medals at a decent price.

I still have to start a thread for them, but I am kind of buried in other things to get done to pull this 2018 medal off in a short time frame.  So if anyone wants one or some of the 2017 clad overstrikes, they are available, just pm me...

No need for a separate thread.

Instead, why not simply add the 2017 Clad Ike overstrike to the 2018 order spreadsheet?

That is, members that want the 2017 Clad Ike can order 'em along with the 2018 medals.

Saves the cost for separate shipments. And hopefully makes things easier for you.

Offline CA Collector

April 13, 2018, 07:04:10 PM

...I did purchase the lot of 100 Churchill Crowns to overstrike so they will be available.

Nicely done Sir. VERY glad you made it happen.

Offline HʘʘT Owl

April 13, 2018, 11:38:43 PM

I still have to start a thread for them, but I am kind of buried in other things to get done to pull this 2018 medal off in a short time frame.  So if anyone wants one or some of the 2017 clad overstrikes, they are available, just pm me.

I did purchase the lot of 100 Churchill Crowns to overstrike so they will be available.

Got it, that's cool for new members to be able to purchase the Ike O/S pieces.

Offline Oih82w8

June 15, 2018, 12:02:07 PM
Are there any Overstruck Ike's remaining? 

oih82w8 = "oh I hate to wait"

Offline SirStacksALot

June 19, 2018, 05:30:31 AM
Are there any Overstruck Ike's remaining?

Sorry for the delayed reply, there are plenty of 2017 Ike Overstrikes left.  Just PM me how many you would like, and the address that you would like them shipped to.  I will send payment instructions, and send them out. 

The following users thanked this post: Oih82w8

Offline D. Carr

August 02, 2018, 01:42:36 AM
It as been longer than expected (as usual), but I have a rough sketch that I like.
The original idea of using the classic Pistrucci Saint George & Dragon is still viable, if that is what the Knights want.

My intent when I started drawing was to do my version of that same thing.
But as the drawing progressed, it morphed into something else (which is not an unusual occurrence).

At one point I decided on including "Man's Best Friend" instead of a Dragon.
This is the Year of the Dog, after all. (I was also born in a Year of the Dog - 1958).

Anyway, here is the sketch. I'll leave it up to the Knights to decide if this is a suitable track.
If not, and the traditional Pistrucci design is desired instead, I can always use the Dog design for some other product of my own.
If the Dog design is a go, it would undergo significant refinement during the sculpting phase.

Offline MattTheRiley

• Master Collector
  • Member Knight
  • Hello World!
August 02, 2018, 05:37:04 AM
I would prefer the St George and the Dragon design personally.

Hiding in Oregon, USA

Offline HʘʘT Owl

August 02, 2018, 06:25:05 AM
I gotta agree with Matt.

Offline SirStacksALot

August 02, 2018, 06:55:37 AM
I'm on the fence.  I like the dog and Knight design, and I like the fact that it is an original design.  Might be cool to turn it into more of a mythical creature like a Cerberus (three headed dog.  That said, the broken spear george and the dragon design may fit better with the cobs.  It won't be an original design though.  Hmmmmm.....

Offline CA Collector

August 02, 2018, 08:12:41 AM
I vote for St George and the Dragon.

It's the 200th anniversary of this design's first use on a silver coin (1818 Crown).

And with Pistrucci's original "broken spear" design, we'll have a unique variation on this long-running presumably-popular design -- with historical significance: http://kotct2017.knightsofthecointable.com/index.php?topic=5691.msg58459#msg58459

voyageur

August 02, 2018, 09:41:07 AM
Something with a Pistrucci Saint George & Dragon design would be my choice on this one. I think it might also have a better look in a 'cob' format.

Offline TTM5

August 02, 2018, 09:51:09 AM
Nice design Dan but would prefer St. George and the dragon on this go-around.

Offline SilverFan

August 02, 2018, 09:59:07 AM
I also vote for St. George and the Dragon design.

Offline Dwhiz

August 02, 2018, 10:23:41 AM
add me to  St. George and the Dragon design.
or maybe a moose.

voyageur

August 02, 2018, 10:53:39 AM
St, George and the Moose ~ that does have a nice ring to it !  8)

Offline 78saen

August 02, 2018, 11:04:12 AM
I also vote for St. George and Dragon design.

Offline D. Carr

August 02, 2018, 04:52:58 PM
I just ordered this coin on eBay (1951 UK copper-nickel Festival of Britain crown (5 shillings)).
Once I receive it I will start the sculpting process, using the coin as a model.
I can revise the sword to be a broken spear.

The following users thanked this post: Kena, Kudbegud, SilverFan, HʘʘT Owl, 78saen

voyageur

August 02, 2018, 10:37:01 PM
I like it already !

Offline HʘʘT Owl

August 03, 2018, 09:14:55 AM
That's what I'm talking about... 8)

Thanks Dan, I know they'll look great.

Offline Gluggo

August 03, 2018, 09:59:16 AM
Dan you are the man!

Offline D. Carr

August 03, 2018, 11:00:17 AM
Since Lunar Calendar coins seem to be generally popular, this year I think I will produce my own "Year of the Dog" coin directly based on the sketch.

It was suggested that the sketch could be used as a basis for the 2019 KotCT medals, but with a Cerberus (three-headed dog).
That is possible. Or maybe a Griffin instead of the dog.

The following users thanked this post: Felinfoel

voyageur

August 03, 2018, 12:37:39 PM
An annual  Lunar Calendar issue from the Moonlight Mint would be great and 2018 would be an excellent year to start. If you used something like the 'moon' reverse from the 2008 KOTCT Award medal, it would indeed be quite a design.

The following users thanked this post: Felinfoel, Kudbegud

Offline D. Carr

August 04, 2018, 11:29:36 AM
An annual  Lunar Calendar issue from the Moonlight Mint would be great and 2018 would be an excellent year to start. If you used something like the 'moon' reverse from the 2008 KOTCT Award medal, it would indeed be quite a design.

That is a neat idea.
I may want to retire in less that 12 years, so I'm not sure I could get through all 12. I'll do one, at least.

Offline TKO

August 04, 2018, 11:34:13 AM
You did ten medals back in 2008. A 10 year anniversary of that would be great.

TKO™

Offline Pocketcoins

August 05, 2018, 06:49:44 AM
Must be the odd ball. I like the dog. But then I do live with two who are like family. :D

Offline D. Carr

August 14, 2018, 06:53:31 PM
Here is a rendering of the digital sculpt for the 2018 Knights medal:

The following users thanked this post: Humpybong, Merlin, SirStacksALot, Dwhiz, Kudbegud, SilverFan, HʘʘT Owl, 78saen, Gluggo

voyageur

August 15, 2018, 09:52:03 AM
Great initial design. Suspect there will be a modification or two along the way. The color toned and large format (3 oz silver) should be especially impressive pieces. The DC 'choice finish' will be... 8)

Offline TTM5

August 15, 2018, 11:02:11 AM
Nice!  Makes me wish you could do a few in gold.

Offline CA Collector

August 15, 2018, 04:53:35 PM
Can't wait to see the finished products!

Offline SilverFan

August 16, 2018, 12:43:16 PM
I like it!

Offline D. Carr

August 27, 2018, 01:43:36 AM
Here is what my 2018 "Year of the Dog" coin will look like:

The following users thanked this post: TKO, DigitalNick, Felinfoel, SilverFan, Gluggo, ZoidMeister

Offline Gluggo

August 27, 2018, 04:03:34 AM
Very nice Year of the Dog he looks mean!  Not like my sweet Izzy. 

Any surprise snap shots you want to share with us on the final coin if not I totally understand? 

The following users thanked this post: SilverFan

Offline Dwhiz

August 27, 2018, 04:17:22 AM
Very nice Year of the Dog he looks mean!  Not like my sweet Izzy. 

Any surprise snap shots you want to share with us on the final coin if not I totally understand?
How are 2018 KOCT medal coming along?

voyageur

August 27, 2018, 05:46:49 AM
Hope 2018 "Year of the Dog" has the KOTCT "Full Moon" reverse !  8)

The following users thanked this post: Kudbegud

Offline Gluggo

August 27, 2018, 03:14:11 PM
I picked this up today in celebration of Daniel Carr's upcoming break out of the 2018 KOTCT coins.

The following users thanked this post: Felinfoel