May 07, 2024, 03:14:37 AM

News

Medallions   

Offline Humpybong

Orders and details for the KotCT 2016 Medal
March 29, 2016, 05:23:53 PM
OK this is the start for our 2016 medal quest.

More details will be posted here as they come to hand.

The current thought is to have Merlin on the reverse of this one.  What do you think?

Daniel Carr and Moonlight Mint will again be asked to produce medals for us.

Barry
Brisbane, Australia
Forum Administrator

"Experience enables you to recognise a mistake when you make it a again"

The following users thanked this post: Kena

Offline Pocketcoins

Sounding good to me.  ;D ;D ;D Let me know if I can do anything to help.  :)

Offline TKO

I think it's a great idea too. I also think it would be appropriate to ask DigitalNick if he would like to possibly throw out a few artist renderings of old Merlin. I've looked at his website (Royal Flesh Tattoo) and his tattoo shop has REAL artists working there and I'm sure he is one of the main contributors to some really outstanding artwork produced there. With him being a collector, having a rendering of a piece of his work displayed on a privately minted coin could be a first for him also.

Just a thought...

TKO

TKO™

Goose

• Trade Count: (0)
An excellent idea Terry.

Offline Usarok

• Master Collector
  • Member Knight
  • Collecting in the shadow of Pikes Peak
I'm all for Merlin on our 2016 medal! Glad to see the Quest is starting now.

Offline Triggersmob

• Master Collector
  • Member Knight
  • Western Australian State Flag
A Merlin theme sounds good to me. :)

Steve
(From Western Australia)

OFEC count 239
See my gallery here, now with over 15,000 images...
http://www.coincommunity.org/gallery/index.php?cat=10048

Offline SirStacksALot

I like the Merlin theme, and think it would be cool if Nick would like to help with the design.

Offline SirStacksALot

I haven't had much time to work on charts yet, but have been thinking about a few things for the new medals.  As far as pricing goes, we were quoted some costs before Daniel Carr raised his prices on last years medals.  With the new pricing I think that the cost of each medal will probably go up about 35% (This is just a very general guess, and it could be off either way depending on how much the actual costs are).   Here is the link to his custom minting services page:   http://www.moonlightmint.com/services.htm     

Last time we had quite a few different finishes which helped bring the price down by increasing the total number of medals ordered.  This helped quite a bit as far as spreading the design and die prices to more medals.  That said, Daniel had a lot of different problems minting the larger medals, and said he is not minting any more of the 63mm size medals.  I also think it would be good to drop the Matte finish, since it is mostly a sandblasted finish.

So I have a couple of other ideas that might be cool to have as options that Daniel Carr has done with other medals.  We could have some selective gold electro plating on a silver proof as an extra finish.  I have seen this on some other club medals that he has done, and it looks really cool.   The cost is listed as $5-$25 extra per piece depending on surface area and detail.  To me it would be worth it to have a couple.  Would anyone else be interested in one like this?

My other thought was having some over strikes made.  In the past Daniel Carr has invited some clubs to his mint and and has done some over strikes with the club dies.  This would not be feasable for us since our members are all around the world.  My thoughts were to keep it large silver coins so our reverse die is not damaged.  90% silver Morgan dollars would be perfect, and I would be willing to pick up some nice ones at local coin shows for our group.  My guess is they would cost between $20-$24 each for just the unstruck Morgan, and I could buy some for our members and send them to Daniel Carr all at once so they could be struck and minted with the others.  Each one would bear its portion of the design and die cost, and the cost associated with striking it (Mabye another $10 - $15 per medal?).  This would also bring down the costs of all the other medals.

Hopefully these things will help simplify the finishes a little.  The other thing that took a whole lot of extra time figuring out, was the constant recalculation to get the costs down to the penny.  This year I would like to be able to round up the cost a little, and let the leftover money from each medal be donated to the castle treasury.  It shouldn't be much for each medal, but it will save me a ton of time and headache, and help to keep the treasury funded.  Barry has already said he is ok with collecting the money in the treasury and sending the funds to Daniel Carr this year.  All extra funds would stay with the treasury.   Please speak any thoughts or problems with this now.  Is everyone ok with this? 

Thoughts?   :)

Offline Mackinac

I'm a big fan of the antique finish Daniel does on his silver medals so I would like to see that as an option. Not a big fan of the color toning. I like the overstrike idea. I'll probably buy two of each type medal.

in all trust there is a possibility of betrayal

Offline Pocketcoins

For myself I always have been pulled to the copper proof. I do buy the silver and if I ever intended to sell one of my medals I know the silver  would be where the money is. I will go with what ever you all want to do. Never been disappointed yet.  :) :)

Offline Kena

I like the idea of going with the Merlin design.

Silver medals are my preference.

Ken

Offline SirStacksALot

I edited the order charts from last time so we can use them again this year.  I have attached pictures of them to this post.  The first list is Proof and Satin versions of Silver, Copper, and Brass.  The Overstruck Morgan Option is  also listed on the basic finish list.   The second list is of the fancy post-strike finishes that can be added.  If you know what you would like to order, let me know, and I will start adding orders to the charts.  Once we get a good idea of what everyone would like, I can start calculating prices based on how many are ordered.

Offline Usarok

• Master Collector
  • Member Knight
I'd like to suggest some other fancy finishes options:

Selective gold plating on Silver Satin         
Selective Rhodium plating on Copper & Brass Proof         
Selective Rhodium plating on Copper & Brass Satin   

I've attached pictures showing a copper & a brass medal from the Colorado Springs Numismatic Society's 50th Anniversary medal showing what the Rhodium plating looks like on a satin finish medal.

Offline Triggersmob

• Master Collector
  • Member Knight
Usarok, those look very nice.
I think we would need a complete set of new dies to make those
and that would add a lot of extra cost.

Silver with some gold plating sounds nice though.

Steve
(From Western Australia)

OFEC count 239

Offline Usarok

• Master Collector
  • Member Knight
You wouldn't need new dies. The selective Gold or Rhodium plating is done after the the medals have been struck. Any selective plating done depends upon the design but it doesn't need to be a coin. I just used our Numismatic Society medal to show the look of Rhodium plating on a copper or brass medal. If the design can be plated with Gold then the same areas or possibly other parts of the design can be plated with Rhodium. Also, I was suggesting the Rhodium plating option for Copper and Brass medals as additional options not as a replacement for Gold plating on the Silver medals.

Offline Triggersmob

• Master Collector
  • Member Knight
You wouldn't need new dies. The selective Gold or Rhodium plating is done after the the medals have been struck. Any selective plating done depends upon the design but it doesn't need to be a coin. I just used our Numismatic Society medal to show the look of Rhodium plating on a copper or brass medal. If the design can be plated with Gold then the same areas or possibly other parts of the design can be plated with Rhodium. Also, I was suggesting the Rhodium plating option for Copper and Brass medals as additional options not as a replacement for Gold plating on the Silver medals.

OK, I thought you meant to have a separate section in the middle like the ones you showed. 

Steve
(From Western Australia)

OFEC count 239

Offline SirStacksALot

If I am seeing correctly, the medals in the pictures are brass and copper, with rhodium plating on just the middle of the medal.  I like the idea of some options for partially  rhodium plated copper and brass pieces also. All extra costs associated with plating would only be applied the the pieces with the plating.  This shouldn't need an extra die, and it would create more medals to distribute the die and sculpting costs.  If we have a few more possible finishes, it should bring down the costs of even the proof and satin medals without any fancy finishing.

Offline Usarok

• Master Collector
  • Member Knight
Here are some photos showing how the selective plating is applied to the medals.

Offline SirStacksALot

The following users thanked this post: Pocketcoins

Offline Pocketcoins

Looks like the ball is rolling on this years medals.    :D :D :D So exciting.  8) 8) 8) 8) Can't wait.  :) :) :) :) :) :)

Offline Triggersmob

• Master Collector
  • Member Knight
I'm  a big fan of the 63mm medals, if we could do them in aluminium that would be great. :)

Steve
(From Western Australia)

OFEC count 239

Offline SirStacksALot

If we did the 63mm medals only in aluminum, they would probably be about $150 - $200 each judging by last years interest.  I would probably buy 1 at that price, but if we had the die made and say only 3 people wanted one they would be about $400 each.  We only really had enough interest last year since we were able to have some big silver ones made.  That is why I thought it would be unfeasable this year without the silver being made.  Personally, I would rather pick several of the other finishes than 1 big aluminium one.  If we did 50mm ones the price would be double that because we would need 2 dies.

Offline SirStacksALot

I started a new thread for orders, please list what you would like to order there, and I will add it to the list.

Offline Triggersmob

• Master Collector
  • Member Knight
Wow $150 - $200 each! I don't love them that much. :(

Steve
(From Western Australia)

OFEC count 239

cadmanco

I personally like the selective gold and rhodium plating.  These are among the prettiest medals I think Dan Carr has ever made. 

Offline MattTheRiley

• Master Collector
  • Member Knight
  • Hello World!
I'm in for this!  I haven't been around recently, but I'm getting back to it!  I think it would be cool to use a 40% Silver Ike as a base for the  "restrikes"  It'd be cool to have the eagle on the moon with the earth in the background on the reverse of the medal!

Hiding in Oregon, USA

Offline SirStacksALot

That sounds like a cool idea, I will ask Daniel how the ike dollars will do as an overstrike.  I like the eagle on the moon design too.  40% silver sounds like it should be OK, and I know they are pretty easy to find.  I have a few other questions to ask Daniel, so I will ask him about the ikes too  :)

Offline SirStacksALot

The following users thanked this post: Pocketcoins

Jackpot

I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to order 5 satin & 5 proof silver 2016 KOTCT medals !  Count me in.  Daniel & the Moonlight Mint are right down the street from me & I see him often so if you need ANY help with anything let me know !  I can drop of some Ike dollars for over strikes if anyone wants any ?  I did that for the Denver Coin Club & everyone LOVED them !!!!!!!!

Josh  970-980-4341

Offline DigitalNick

• Master Collector
  • Member Knight
Please put me down for 1 40% Ike overstrike as well.

Thank you,
Nick

Offline D. Carr

Re: Orders and details for the KotCT 2016 Medal
September 18, 2016, 10:19:58 PM
Greetings Knights,

I finally had some time to work on a sketch for the 2016 medal. This is the first draft and I like it so far. There are possibilities for selective plating, but it will be tricky. The selective plating can be applied to raised devices on a medal because the plating pen can be manipulated to touch only the devices while staying off the fields in the background. But it generally can not be applied to the background without getting some plating on the adjacent devices. I think with this design the best possibilities for selective plating is the "energy bands", leaving the other design elements un-plated. To make that possible, I might want to do the two figures as sunken relief, like the US $2.50 and $5.00 Indian Head gold coins. That way, the fields and "energy bands" would be the highest areas of the medal, making them easier to selectively electro-plate.

The following users thanked this post: Humpybong, DigitalNick

Offline SirStacksALot

September 19, 2016, 02:25:17 PM
Nice job Daniel. That guy really shouldn't have been trying to steal Merlin's coin collection.  Merlin looks like a bad ass.  I really like the design idea.  I think it would look cool if you could add a long long beard with a mustache, and some long hair coming out of the back of his helmet. I always think of Merlin with the beard and long hair myself.   As far as the sunken relief, it sounds like a pretty cool idea to me, if you think it will look good I say we try it.  Would the proofs be reverse proofs with the sunken relief part shiny?

The following users thanked this post: Kittlecoins

Offline D. Carr

September 19, 2016, 06:19:04 PM
I had thought about adding a beard, but hadn't tried it yet.
Here is another version with beard, some added embellishments, and the skeleton shifted over a little to help balance the design more:

The following users thanked this post: Humpybong, Kittlecoins

Offline Mackinac

September 20, 2016, 03:06:52 AM
Like the design. Like the beard. Is there going to be any words or a phrase on the medal? I assume 2016 will be added.

Offline Humpybong

September 20, 2016, 10:15:45 PM

Yeah...the beard one gets my vote.

Barry
Brisbane, Australia
Forum Administrator

Offline MattTheRiley

• Master Collector
  • Member Knight
  • Hello World!
September 21, 2016, 03:53:33 AM
I like the beard too. I wonder if he should be holding a staff instead of the Carr antenna? 😀

I like the overall concept so far though!

Hiding in Oregon, USA

The following users thanked this post: Usarok

Offline Nevol

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Member Knight
  • Queensland State Flag
September 21, 2016, 01:38:01 PM
I wonder if he should be holding a staff instead of the Carr antenna? 😀
Maybe that's meant to be a Wizard's Wand  ;D

Neol~Nancy
KOTCT #46
Queensland, Australia
Life is a mystery to be lived, not a problem to be solved.

Offline D. Carr

September 21, 2016, 04:51:43 PM

Offline SirStacksALot

September 21, 2016, 06:16:14 PM
How about a staff similar to the one below from Lord of the rings.  Something long enough to also be a walking stick.  The beard looks great, and the skeleton does look better moved over.  Merlin is coming along nicely.

Offline D. Carr

September 21, 2016, 08:57:58 PM

Offline Humpybong

September 21, 2016, 11:20:39 PM

Yep....you got it!

Barry
Brisbane, Australia
Forum Administrator

Offline Pocketcoins

September 22, 2016, 12:15:30 AM
Looking good. Daniel is a true coin artiest.  8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Offline D. Carr

September 22, 2016, 08:55:00 AM
Other than "2016" is there any other text to put on it ?

I would like to put the date and other text (if any) incuse on the rocky base that Merlin is standing on. If I do that, the amount of text that I could fit on there would be limited.

Offline SirStacksALot

September 22, 2016, 04:53:59 PM
The new staff looks great.  2016 sounds fine to me, unless anyone else has something in mind. 

Offline Triggersmob

• Master Collector
  • Member Knight
September 22, 2016, 09:01:06 PM
2016 to 2018, so we don't have to worry about another one for a couple of years. :)

Steve
(From Western Australia)

OFEC count 239

Offline Humpybong

September 22, 2016, 10:55:24 PM

How about KOTCT 2016

Barry
Brisbane, Australia
Forum Administrator

Offline Mackinac

September 22, 2016, 11:29:01 PM
I like KOTCT 2016

Offline MattTheRiley

• Master Collector
  • Member Knight
  • Hello World!
September 23, 2016, 04:06:59 AM
Would it be cool to honor Muckeye on these?

Hiding in Oregon, USA

Offline SirStacksALot

September 23, 2016, 05:11:54 AM
I like KotCT 2016 on the rock formation too.   

What if we have something like:

RIP Muckeye 1941 -2016

On the edge with the silver purity to honor Muckeye.  Not sure of the birth year.  I don't think it would be right to have anything about Bob on the front with that skeleton getting blasted.  We would have to get a price from Daniel to have the  non-silver marked.  I like the idea of honoring Muckeye on these, he has kept us going with his generosity over the years.   

As far as the date goes, I say we stick with just 2016.  We should definitely do a 10 year anniversary medal next year.

Offline Nevol

• Global Moderator
  • Member Knight
  • Queensland State Flag
September 23, 2016, 09:30:29 AM
Bob was born in 1941.

Neol~Nancy
KOTCT #46
Queensland, Australia

Offline Triggersmob

• Master Collector
  • Member Knight
September 23, 2016, 12:16:24 PM

I think that's a great idea. :)

Steve
(From Western Australia)

OFEC count 239

Offline Nevol

• Global Moderator
  • Member Knight
  • Queensland State Flag
September 23, 2016, 03:49:27 PM
I think that's a great idea. :)
Me too, even although I'm not ordering one.

Neol~Nancy
KOTCT #46
Queensland, Australia

Offline Pocketcoins

September 24, 2016, 12:00:07 AM

Great ideal.    8) 8) 8)

Offline Humpybong

September 24, 2016, 08:23:37 AM

Great idea.....then I will need another silver to give to his brothet.

Barry
Brisbane, Australia
Forum Administrator

Offline Pocketcoins

September 25, 2016, 01:16:38 AM
If it's too late to get another silver for his brother you can give him mine. It's paid for and I would be satisfied with my copper. Or I will help get him one. What ever you all decide.

Offline SirStacksALot

September 25, 2016, 10:58:12 AM
I have a few questions for Daniel Carr , and will email him tonight.  Would like give everyone another chance to add to thier order now that we can see the design.  I will let everyone know as soon as I have more info.

Is everyone ok with honoring Bob with an inscription on the side of the medals?  As I said before, I don't think it would be appropriate on the front of the Coin with the skeleton being blasted.  What do you think?

Offline Humpybong

September 25, 2016, 05:54:12 PM

I agree......on the side would be fine

Barry
Brisbane, Australia
Forum Administrator

Offline Pocketcoins

September 25, 2016, 10:57:37 PM
On the side would be best I think.

Offline Kittlecoins

September 26, 2016, 09:32:29 AM
The design looks really cool, and I prefer the bearded Merlin over the clean shaven.  Also like the modifications proposed to the staff too.  Looks like a fun piece and having "2016" on there with no other text will look great.

Regarding an edge inscription, I know the silver pieces are already to be marked and would guess that any additional markings on those and especially on all of the non-silver pieces would be an added expense.  Should find out that information first.

Finally, if there is any opportunity to add to the orders, let us know  :)

Thanks!

Michael Kittle Rare Coins
http://www.kittlecoins.com

Offline SirStacksALot

October 01, 2016, 02:30:55 PM
If anyone would like to add to their order, please see the new thread just posted called "Last chance to add to orders ending on Friday 10-7-2016".  As Mike said, there will be an additional cost for the inscriptions.  The extra cost shouldn't be a problem. More info on that is also in the thread above.

Offline SirStacksALot

November 15, 2016, 12:55:10 AM
I will be contacting Daniel Carr this week for an update on the Merlin medal, but I have a question for the group since it is mid November.  I was originally planning on doing another medal for 2017, but looking at where we are at right now I am leanig towards making this medal 2016-2017.  What is your vote, do we do another one for 2017, or make this one for both 2016 & 2017?

The following users thanked this post: DigitalNick

Offline DigitalNick

• Master Collector
  • Member Knight
November 15, 2016, 04:32:19 AM
I will be contacting Daniel Carr this week for an update on the Merlin medal, but I have a question for the group since it is mid November.  I was originally planning on doing another medal for 2017, but looking at where we are at right now I am leanig towards making this medal 2016-2017.  What is your vote, do we do another one for 2017, or make this one for both 2016 & 2017?
Lets do another medal for 2017. Why not?

Offline MattTheRiley

• Master Collector
  • Member Knight
  • Hello World!
November 15, 2016, 07:27:59 AM
Isn't 2017 the 10yr anniversary of KOTCT? Probably should have a special medal for that year.

Hiding in Oregon, USA

Offline Humpybong

November 15, 2016, 07:40:15 AM

We need a medal for 2016 and 2017.

2017 needs to be a 10 yr anniversary and maybe we could use original (see top of page- Knight on Horse) with special inscription saying  10th anniversary.

Barry
Brisbane, Australia
Forum Administrator

Offline Triggersmob

• Master Collector
  • Member Knight
November 15, 2016, 08:57:39 AM

We need a medal for 2016 and 2017.

2017 needs to be a 10 yr anniversary and maybe we could use original (see top of page- Knight on Horse) with special inscription saying  10th anniversary.

Good idea. Should save some costs doing it that way. :)

Steve
(From Western Australia)

OFEC count 239

Offline D. Carr

November 21, 2016, 05:31:10 PM
Greetings Knights,

I have completed a sculpture from which dies can be engraved.
But first, some commentary:

Because of the desire to have some colored selective plating, I decided that the best way to do it well with this design would be to make the medal in a sunken-relief style, similar to the USA $2.50 and $5.00 Indian Head gold coins of 1908-1929. This means that the fields (where I plan to do the plating) would be the highest part of the medal. And, as such, the medal wouldn't have a raised rim around the perimeter because the fields are already the highest part of the design.
I have some ideas on how to plate them. But I'll try numerous experiments first (once some are struck) to see what looks best.

The other thing to consider, however, is that with a sunken relief there is no easy way to polish it for traditional "proof" strikes. So it might be necessary to come up with something else to differentiate the "proofs" from the others. I have a couple ideas that I can try out (could be interesting). Also, the reverse (shield) die that has been in use for years has been cycled between satin and polished finish several times. That can't go on forever. At some point, it will be necessary to leave it the way it is and not sandblast or polish it any more, or else significant detail will start to go away. My suggestion is to leave the reverse die as it is and keep using it that way. The satin/proof differentiation can be accomplished by something that is done to the other side.

Offline D. Carr

November 21, 2016, 05:44:53 PM
Here is a tilted view that gives a better idea of what the sunken relief is like:

Offline SirStacksALot

November 22, 2016, 07:24:54 AM
It looks great!  I like the detail in Merlin's robe and facial features.  As far as what will be "proof or satin" finishes, I trust that you will come up with something good for both.  I am all for whatever "interesting" things that you can come up with.  The sunken relief was a risky idea that looks like it will pay off with a really cool and unique medal.

Offline Humpybong

November 22, 2016, 08:26:00 AM

What can I say....fantastic.

Happy with this, something a bit different.

Barry
Brisbane, Australia
Forum Administrator

Offline Kittlecoins

November 23, 2016, 09:56:58 AM
Thanks for the update, looks interesting! 

:)

Offline Humpybong

December 03, 2016, 08:29:02 PM

What is the latest with this years medal....looks like we will not have it for Christmas.

Barry
Brisbane, Australia
Forum Administrator

Offline D. Carr

December 05, 2016, 06:08:28 PM
>>> What is the latest with this years medal....looks like we will not have it for Christmas.

The die engraving is finished. Heat-treating (hardening) is next, probably in a couple days. Striking could happen late this week.

Offline Humpybong

December 05, 2016, 11:12:08 PM

Fantastic!

Nice to hear how the process is going.....getting excited now.

Barry
Brisbane, Australia
Forum Administrator

Offline D. Carr

December 26, 2016, 11:15:51 PM
Medals were struck last week. I'm currently trying out different plating schemes. Also working on the edge marking, color toning, and antiquing. This part will take a little while.

The following users thanked this post: Kena, SirStacksALot, DigitalNick, Kittlecoins

Offline D. Carr

December 29, 2016, 02:23:14 PM
Edge marking, plating, color toning, and antiquing are complete.
I have one more special process to apply to each medal and then packaging and shipping.

The following users thanked this post: Triggersmob, Mackinac, Kena, SirStacksALot, MattTheRiley

Offline Humpybong

December 30, 2016, 11:11:15 PM

Great news....can hardly wait to see finished medal.

Thanks for keeping us updated.

Barry
Brisbane, Australia
Forum Administrator

The following users thanked this post: Merlin

Offline D. Carr

January 09, 2017, 12:18:37 PM
All the medals are finished.
Now I need to print out and sign all the little certificates (this is quite complicated due to all the different versions).

Shipping will likely take place on Wednesday.

A few notes on the production:

The supposed "red/purple/blue" rhodium plating solution did not work. The only plating solutions that worked were the ones I've been using for a number of years now: "black" rhodium and gold. So for the plated versions I put black rhodium on everything except the skeleton, Merlin, and the rock pedestal. Then I put some gold highlighting over the black rhodium in a few areas.

The "special process" was more successful. I had never attempted it in this fashion before. But after seeing it on a few medals, I liked it and decided to apply it to ALL of them (except the Morgan/Ike dollar over-strikes). Normally it is something that I would charge extra for because it is labor intensive. But I decided it was worth the effort and I'll throw it in for free. I'll leave it as a surprise for now. But you'll know it when you see (note that it doesn't show up quite as well on the satin/matte rhodium plated areas as it does elsewhere).

The color-toned silver medals have an overall golden look. The best way to differentiate them from the brass and color-toned brass is to look for the edge marking "ONE TROY OZ . 999 SILVER" (or look at the attached certificate).

The "proofs" are little unconventional. Rather than calling them "proofs", I'm going to call the three strike finishes:

"polished" (proof)
"satin"
"antiqued" (bead-blast matte / patina /burnishing).

The following users thanked this post: Triggersmob, Pocketcoins, Merlin, Mackinac, SirStacksALot, Kittlecoins

Offline D. Carr

January 17, 2017, 05:22:26 AM
Due to various factors, shipping was delayed.
But the medals are finally in the hands of the US Postal Service.

A few more notes about the 2016 medals:

The wide array of different finishes complicated things significantly, resulting in longer production time.
Next time I suggest perhaps to reduce the number of variations.

Many of the 2016 satin silver medals (and a few of the matte silver medals) have the reverse rotated about 10 degrees in error.

The reverse shield die was engraved in 2007, at a time when I had not yet developed a sense of what type of relief would strike well.
The relief on it is too high near the rim and the rims are way too narrow. This makes it especially difficult to strike the medals and get a full strike (the 2016 medals were a little easier than normal due to the sunken relief, however).
I would like to see a new shield die for 2017 with the deficiencies corrected. I have also improved my engraving process over the years, so a new die would have better fine detail.

The following users thanked this post: Triggersmob, Pocketcoins, Merlin, Mackinac, Kena, SirStacksALot, Kittlecoins

Offline SirStacksALot

January 21, 2017, 10:56:52 AM
I came home from work, and a big box from Colorado was sitting on the coffee table.  I was supposed to leave for a party for my brother as soon as I got home, but squeezed in a couple minutes to open the box.  These medals are amazing!!!!!!  I only had a chance to pull a couple out, and I took a picture of one to post from my phone.  There is a hologram effect that you can see a little bit in the picture which looks way cooler in hand.  Daniel Carr went way above and beyond for these medals.  Thank you Daniel for all of the extra effort and time that you spent on these.  I will post more pictures when I sort these for shipping.

The following users thanked this post: Triggersmob, Mackinac, Kena, DigitalNick, Kittlecoins

Offline Merlin

January 22, 2017, 08:03:29 AM

I look pretty good even if I do say so myself.

How did DC get my picture?

;D

Offline SirStacksALot

January 23, 2017, 06:36:05 AM
Sorting is complete  :).  Now time for packing, which will take a little time (anyone who has received coins from me in the past will know why).  I have been smiling the whole time sorting these, the quality is awesome, and the hologram is really cool.  Can't wait to get them in your hands.

The following users thanked this post: Triggersmob, Mackinac, Kena

Offline SirStacksALot

January 31, 2017, 04:39:58 AM
All of the 2016 Merlin medals were shipped last week.  The small orders of 1 or 2  medals were shipped at the beginning of the week, and the rest were shipped via registered mail on Friday.   It's been a really busy weekend for me, and I haven't had a chance to send emails with tracking or registered numbers, but they will be coming in the next day or two.   They will also have the actual shipping cost of your package which can be paid back to me via PayPal.  Please send me a message or post here when you receive your medals so I know they have made it to you. 

The following users thanked this post: Triggersmob

Offline Pocketcoins

February 01, 2017, 01:00:08 AM
Busy Busy here also. I got my order Friday and should have posted it but just didn't have time. Medal Looks great. ;D Sent postage by pap-pal. Thinks for your hard work Jim. 8) 8) 8) 8)

Offline Mackinac

February 01, 2017, 08:22:23 AM
Received my medals. They are great. Very unique. Mr. Carr outdid himself again. Thanks James for all the work you did. Very secure packaging. Also very busy so I hope to make PayPal payment tomorrow or Friday. Thanks again.

Offline Triggersmob

• Master Collector
  • Member Knight
February 01, 2017, 10:08:58 AM
I am about to go on a cruise for 2 weeks, so I guess I will be the last to see these medals, again. :(

Steve
(From Western Australia)

OFEC count 239

Offline Kittlecoins

February 01, 2017, 01:29:20 PM
Received my medals today as well.  Awesome!

The antiqued silver looks especially neat.

The hologram lightning bolts on each of these came out spectacular.  I also like the sunken relief much more after seeing these in hand than I initially thought I would.  Very well done and it's going to be hard to top this one!

;D

Offline AdamL

February 02, 2017, 06:42:50 PM
I got my medal a few days ago. Very cool!

-Adam
Knight Of The Coin Table #103

Offline MattTheRiley

• Master Collector
  • Member Knight
  • Hello World!
February 03, 2017, 02:14:41 AM
Me too! I've been too sick with a cold to enjoy them though!

Hiding in Oregon, USA

Offline Kena

February 04, 2017, 10:31:35 PM
My medal arrived as well.  Many thanks to all involved in making this happen for us.

Is it safe to leave the medal in the plastic sleeve that it arrived in or should I put it in a capsule?

If a capsule, what size would be needed?

Ken

Offline MattTheRiley

• Master Collector
  • Member Knight
  • Hello World!
February 05, 2017, 12:21:31 AM
I believe the flips are archival quality, but if you feel better about putting it in a capsule, I believe they are 39mm rounds. I think air-tite makes a direct fit H39 capsule.

Hiding in Oregon, USA

Offline Kittlecoins

February 05, 2017, 02:03:00 AM
Here's a link to quick video I did this morning of one of the antiqued silver medals... so awesome!

https://youtu.be/0fz1Uevh8xA

And a few photos:

Antiqued Silver:

Polished Silver:

Morgan Dollar Overstrike:

Ike Dollar Overstrike:

The following users thanked this post: SirStacksALot, DigitalNick

Offline SirStacksALot

February 07, 2017, 05:10:17 AM
Nice video Mike, it is hard to capture how cool the hologram looks with a picture.

Offline Kena

February 07, 2017, 05:53:53 AM
Do we have mintage figures for the various types of these medals which were struck?

The following users thanked this post: MattTheRiley

Offline MattTheRiley

• Master Collector
  • Member Knight
  • Hello World!
February 07, 2017, 06:00:49 AM
Do we have mintage figures for the various types of these medals which were struck?

http://www.moonlightmint.com/dc-coin_medals_club_list.htm

Hiding in Oregon, USA

Offline Humpybong

February 12, 2017, 10:19:40 AM

My medals arrived today......WOW!  What else can you say to describe them.

DC did a fantastic job........SirStacksALot did a great job sending to everybody.

Many thanks to all.

Barry
Brisbane, Australia
Forum Administrator

Offline Triggersmob

• Master Collector
  • Member Knight
February 19, 2017, 09:02:34 PM
Well, I think mine might be the last to arrive.
I came back from my holiday this morning and
a few hours later, they arrived. perfect timing.
Thanks Jim and Daniel and anyone else involved
with creating these medals. I look forward to the
next one. :)

Steve
(From Western Australia)

OFEC count 239

Offline Triggersmob

• Master Collector
  • Member Knight
February 20, 2017, 02:21:09 PM
Here are the pics of the satin medals.
I love the hologram effect.

Steve
(From Western Australia)

OFEC count 239

The following users thanked this post: AnotherKnight

Offline AnotherKnight

• Master Collector
  • Member Knight
  • NSW State Flag
February 20, 2017, 04:18:28 PM
Lovely  :o

NSW Australia